CoinPeople.com

1867-1967 Centennial Coins

joshmck

Hey I'm new to this site, and was wondering if some more experienced people could esitimate what a 1867-1967 Canadian Centennial silver quarter would be worth. My grandmother left me with roughly 300 or so of them in decent condition, and also with around 300 5 cent pieces and 400 one cent pieces. I'll try and get a picture of the condition of the coins up today.

Cheers

Even in uncirculated condition, these are all quite common as many people saved them. The quarters are part silver, so they have some intrinsic value because of that. However, the mint changed the silver content from 80% to 50% while minting them, so it's hard to say how much silver is actually in each coin. A rough estimate would put each coin at 65% silver. So each contains roughly 3.78 grams of actual silver (total weight of the coin is 5.83g). 300 of them would be about 1,136g of silver = ~36 troy ounces.

But because they are a fairly low % silver, people won't pay quite the same amount for these as they would for 36 troy ounces of .999 fine silver in coin or bar form. Hope this helped.

Bullion buyers are currently paying about $1.75CDN for each 1967 quarter.You could roll the coins up and sell each roll online to try and get more than bullion or face value for them.Unfortunately only MS65 grades of your coins have any real collectible value.

• 2 weeks later...

As suggested, the quarters basically trade as bullion. Currently, 1.50to 1.75 per quarter would be a likely buying range.

As for the nickels, most dealers sell them at several for a dollar, so they generally would not be bought on their own. Maybe you could get $4 or $5 per roll?l.

The 1967 1c unfortunately don't have much collectible value. Most dea, if not all dealers would likely give out circulated ones in change.

• 3 months later...

Archived