CoinPeople.com

The Best banknote albums

Dave34

Hi All,

as a new starter to banknote collecting I found that banknotes album and pages can be very pricey.

Can anybody recommend any good reasonably priced albums to store my banknotes?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave34 - and welcome to the forum! This is a great place to be with some wonderful people, both experts and novices alike.

This is a good question to ask. Here's a good link to a previous thread where someone did a comparrison of the albums:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=19760&hl=

My first recommendation is that whatever you store your banknotes in, that they be in some type of archival material. For me, I use a brand (Ultra Pro) that declares itself archival safe and the company is in the business of all sorts of collectible storage such as banknotes, sportscards, etc. I feel safe in keeping them in these for the time being at least. I use different styles such as the one, two and three pocket pages for different size requirements.

As far as albums go, I just use regular 1 inch binders to store these notes in. These are relatively cheap and easy to maintain. Some people have expressed concern over the possible "off-gassing" of these regular binders as opposed to a leather bound album. My thoughts on this are that the bankntoes are in the protective pages already, and any gass that can seep in through the opening which is pretty tight is probably negligable. At any rate, for a regular collection, and not one that is a high end (high value) colelction, I feel, as most people do, that spending more on the banknote album than the total of the notes kept inside is worth is not wise.

When considering your options, there are a few things to keep in mind. One being that some of the albums will actually show only one side of the note. This would require you to remove the note to see the reverse side, which could lead to the risk of damage. Som of the albums will not accept third party sleaves to be added or replaced, which requires you to purchase their more expensive sleaves and albums. Some sell the albums and sleaves seperately, and will cost even more than at first thought. Not considering these can lead to mismatched albums sized, types and coosts and can lead to organization problems if your collection grows large.

Whatever your decision, remember that it should be what's right for you, and your collection.

- Dave

PS

One day we'll have to have a thread on why there's so many of us "Daves" in this hobby!

PS

One day we'll have to have a thread on why there's so many of us "Daves" in this hobby!

Well I'm not quitting now, so don't even think about that!

The more Dave's, the merrier - welcome Dave34!

Dave

I agree with Dave :ninja:

I also use the UltraPro pages and use a standard binder. Most notes will fit into a 3 pocket page. Larger one will need 2 pocket or 1 pocket pages. If you decide to go this route, the 3 pocket page is best to buy by the box of 100. You will get a better price per page. The 1 & 2 pocket pages you wouldn't need as many.

I used to use Vario pages however since i collect notgeld these pages often cost as much as the notes i put in them. I have moved on to ultra pro pages however they are thin and flimsy in comparision and I do not used them for my better notes due to this. Also the different pocket numbers will also change the width of the pages this is a pain if you are trying to flick through a large folder for a particular note. As said above it depends on your collection if your notes are less than about $10-15 each i would say go ultra pro if you are storing more expensive notes get out some extra cash and buy vario.

Hi All,

I'm having a problem finding information on UltraPro albums and banknotes pages!!!!

Can you help with any links with information about the banknote pages or information of stockist in the UK?

Regards

Dave34

Hi All,

I'm having a problem finding information on UltraPro albums and banknotes pages!!!!

Can you help with any links with information about the banknote pages or information of stockist in the UK?

Regards

Dave34

I'm not certain about a place in the UK, but here's where I buy mine from: http://www.iconusa3.com/online/UltraProProducts.htm They have a really good price on them. Conversely, you can buy them on Ebay as well, but be sure to compare prices there!

As far as I know, Ultra Pro doesn't have any binders useful for our purposes, though they do have things like carrying cases, and such made for those who play competitive card games like Pokemon or Magic, etc. (At least that's what they're marketed towards). But another link on the site above will take you here: http://www.iconusa2.com/online/Albums&Binders.htm which will give you a few choices. I use the style similar to the "View Binder" listed on this site, but I simply buy mine locally instead.

After looking on the Ultra Pro company page, they do have a list of international retailers for their products:

ESDEVIUM GAMES

6 Waterbrook Road

Alton GU34 2 UD, UK

Tel: +44-1420-593593

Fax: +44-1420-59399

Territories: U.K. & Ireland

HOBBY GAMES LTD.

Unit 54, Rudford Industrial Estate

Arundel

West Sussex BN18 0BF

United Kingdom

Tel: +44 1903 730998

Fax: +44 1903 731141

Territories: UK & Ireland

Hope that helps! Keep in mind, these are archival safe pages, but they are not indestructible. THey can be bent, and they are not what I might put something very valuable into alone. But they do offer a good price on a decent protection system that I personally find agreeable for most of my notes. Some of my more expensive notes I have placed into their own more rigid holders and then placed into the sleeve of an Ultra Pro page in a binder.

Good Luck!

:ninja:

Dave if you have the larger banknotes then take a walk to your nearest forbiden Planet and ask them for the Ultra Pro 2 pocket pages, for smaller notes you can use the 4 pocket Ultras, a box of 100 is roughly about £16. You can also look on ebay for the 3 pocket pages or try http://www.coingallery.co.uk/index.asp Andy is very helpful

Archived