CoinPeople.com

The Ugliest Coin, I've Ever Seen

The SBA's in circulated are pretty ugly. In proof, I think they're very pretty.

i dont mind those coins. i think borin coins with not much going for them are ugly

i have a few coins i adore the designs of.

this is my ugliest bar a few cash coins.

963224.jpg

no portraits.. dont really have many coins with portraits that are ugly coins (have some goerge III but i dont deem cartwheel or 1806 pennys ugly coins)

I have said it before and will gladly say it again: Even the Churchill Crown is not all that ugly. ;)

Now his portrait may not be flattering, but you can sure recognize him. What I dislike about the piece is the font used on that side. They should have used the same font as on the other side, or maybe his name in his own handwriting. As for the effigy, for a "mass" coin it even has a pretty good relief.

As for the SBA Dollar, weeell, keep in mind that the women who had been on US circulation coins before were allegorical figures, supposed to represent an idea. So of course they look(ed) more appealing, beautiful, elegant, whatever. Anthony's chin however ... maybe it is a realistic portrait, don't know. Guess it was the combination of various factors - the portrait, the size and "color" of the coin - that made people dislike the piece.

The Aachen "coin" is a little different in that it does not show an actual person. This is local notgeld, and the denomination is not in standard German but in the regional dialect. What you see is an intentionally humorous portrait of, say, a "typical" market woman.

Yes, that Prussian coin is indeed ugly in my opinion. The design by itself would be OK - nothing exciting, nothing awful. But the combination of the design and the condition ... ouch. :ninja:

Another portrait which I find surprising, to put it mildly, is that of Queen Margrethe on the Danish circulation coins. http://www.royalmint.dk/C1256BE900406EF3/s...arstal_2003.jpg Surprising because I suppose she has some influence when it comes to how she is depicted on "her" coins ...

Christian

Another portrait which I find surprising, to put it mildly, is that of Queen Margrethe on the Danish circulation coins. http://www.royalmint.dk/C1256BE900406EF3/s...arstal_2003.jpg Surprising because I suppose she has some influence when it comes to how she is depicted on "her" coins ...

Christian

Oh my god, that's is the single most hideous portrait I've ever seen on a coin!

ohh yes!"

sorry... lol, so it was those 2 going together that made the churchill dog

I was going to post a pic of a dog that was very wrinkly but I thought it wasn't appropriate for this thread! :ninja:

Why not a frog-eyed, sheep-headed Byzantine emperor - engraved and minted in a hurry on crude copper:

PhoKyz.jpg

Phocas, Kyzikos / Cyzicus mint, 2nd officina, 607-608 AD. ( dated RY 6 ),

Æ Follis / 40 Nummi (30-33 mm / 10,65 g),

Obv.: d N FOCAS PER AVG , crowned facing bust, wearing consular robes, holding mappa and eagle sceptre with cross; small cross in left field.

Rev.: Large value mark XXXX (= 40 Nummi), ANNO above, numeral G representing the regnal year 6 (= 607-608 AD.) at right, KYZ followed by the officina letter B in exergue.

DOC II 73b ; MIB II 76 ; Sear BC 665 .

My contribution for ugly was the protrait and not the general look of the coin. If that portrait isnt ungly...I dont know ungly....its why I love the coin :ninja:

i'll dominate this... boring coin

964115.jpg

Oh man...I couldnt disagree more...I love that coin...I have several of them...I think its got a great portrait and a cool simple design.

I have said it before and will gladly say it again: Even the Churchill Crown is not all that ugly. :ninja:

i think you got it exactly right.

also, that danish royal portrait is just plain scary.

Oh man...I couldnt disagree more...I love that coin...I have several of them...I think its got a great portrait and a cool simple design.

That is supposed to be a miner, with his helmet and a lamp. There were two denominations with that design - a 20c coin (rather short lived, about ten years) and a 50c coin that was in circulation for about 50 years. May represent the Walloon parts of Belgium more than the Flemish parts, but design wise it is not bad.

By the way, when Belgium issued a collector coin in 2006 to commemorate the Bois du Cazier mine disaster, one of the key elements was that portrait of a miner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_gold_and...m)#2006_coinage

Christian

Archived