CoinPeople.com

Fake 1749 rouble – slabbed !

RW Julian

The seller was notified yesterday morning that the following piece is a Chinese fake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260399732481

There has been no response to date and the ‘coin’ is still for sale at a Buy It

Now price of $749, roughly $750 more than it is worth.

PCGS was also notified that a fake had been slabbed as genuine.

The seller is not only offering a fake 1749 rouble but also presents a description that

is questionable. The slab says that a grade cannot be given but the seller does so anyway,

the caption reading:

RUSSIA SILVER ROUBLE/ RUBLE, 1749 MMD, PCGS EXTRA FINE+

The seller is thus clearly saying that PCGS assigned a grade of “Extra Fine +” when this

is simply not true.

RWJ

The seller was notified yesterday morning that the following piece is a Chinese fake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260399732481

There has been no response to date and the ‘coin’ is still for sale at a Buy It

Now price of $749, roughly $750 more than it is worth.

PCGS was also notified that a fake had been slabbed as genuine.

The seller is not only offering a fake 1749 rouble but also presents a description that

is questionable. The slab says that a grade cannot be given but the seller does so anyway,

the caption reading:

RUSSIA SILVER ROUBLE/ RUBLE, 1749 MMD, PCGS EXTRA FINE+

The seller is thus clearly saying that PCGS assigned a grade of “Extra Fine +” when this

is simply not true.

RWJ

Thank you for this post. The slab makes it a particularly dangerous fake. :ninja:

I cannot estimate why PCGS renders opins on coins they are NOT experts in. I see stuff in PCGS and NGC slabs all the time, overgraded, misattributed etc. for British hammered. Frankly it is insane. American collectors seem to like the stuff, they flock to buy it.

Auld Anne was graded something like VF-35 before I liberated her and let her breath again:

anne1707ecrown.jpg

A coin which in my opin is no better than a vg-fine, and I paid vg-fine money for it.

I wonder if the slab is also fake? The Chinese are getting good at counterfeiting the slabs as well as the coins.

They even use the right numbers on the slabs, but often the bar codes are different.

This one was said to be a fake coin and slab on the PCGS forum:

89_1875Sfake.jpg

What about the slab - is it also a fake? That would help to "save" the PCGS reputation.

Apparently the slab is genuine or at least appears to be so. The PCGS website allows

slab numbers to be checked. When the number for the fake coin is entered it comes up

as a 1749 Moscow ruble.

I have just returned from the CSNS show at Cincinnati and find that the piece is still being

offered. I also have received no communication from the seller, which perhaps says all that

is necessary.

RWJ

There is a possibility that at some time a genuine 1749 rouble was slabbed by PCGS. Thereafter, the genuine coin was replaced with the fake that we see or a fake holder was manufactured and used to enclose the fake 1749 coin with the same number as was assigned to the genuine coin. From what I can find in the literature, fake PCGC coins are very convincingly looking. It is either that, or we admit that this a case of PCGS having shown incompetence.

It is either that, or we admit that this a case of PCGS having shown incompetence.

No one is perfect. Before PCGS/NGC, experts, even in Russia, were fooled by counterfeits. There is no reason to expect that it won't happen with reputable slabbing companies. The difference here is, if you buy the fake coin in the genuine slab, and you prove to PCGS/NGC that the coin is fake, they will pay you back your money. At least that 's what their guaranty says. Also, if you buy a coin in one of their slabs at a certain grade, and the coin is later downgraded by them, they will pay you the difference between the value at the old grade and the value at the new grade. I understand that PCGS has paid up big time on several occassions. So, for expensive coins, there is some benefit to buying slabbed PCGS/NGC coins beyond just the grade.

Perhaps someone should buy this Moscow Rouble and test PCGS's guaranty.

This one was said to be a fake coin and slab on the PCGS forum:

89_1875Sfake.jpg

Was it just someone saying that, or did it actually turn out to be a fake slab? If it's fake, it looks like a reasonably good imitation.

There are a lot of fake slabs circulating and not only for PCGS. If you enter the serial numbers they WILL match up with the genuine coin on the PCGS, NGC etc datas. One way to tell is to search auction houses for the particular coin like Heritage.

Once you do see the real coin examine it with the suspect coin. The bar codes usually don't match.

This is a list compiled by UtahCoin on the PCGS forum. I don't want to take credit for the list in anyway just wanted it to share it here as I believe it is important. I'll put a link at the bottom as a reference for the list:

"COUNTERFEIT ANACS & NGC SLAB NUMBERS

Please note that these numbers are legitimate numbers for a SINGLE coin. Therefore, one coin bearing these numbers is genuine. These numbers have been copied from photos sent by a seller in China.

NGC

1795 Bust Dollar AU55 1871265-009

1795 Bust AU55 1515842-002

1795 Bust AU50 562290-001

1795 Bust AU55 1925095-002

1796 Bust XF40 398818-005

Trade Dollars

1877 S Trade Dollar AU55 562449-008

1877 S MS62 1500053-004

1876 S MS61 3003606-008

1875 S MS61 3003606-008

1877 S MS60 3022418-004

1877 S MS63 1850580-010

1875 S XF45 2068372-004

ANACS

1801 Bust Dollar VF20 2727654 All Old Style Slab

1800 Bust VF35 2820185

1875 CC Trade AU58 Details Cleaned 2951037

1877 S MS60 Details Cleaned DDR 2965234

1878 S AU55 Details Cleaned 2964950

1878 S AU58 Details Cleaned 2951825

1878 S AU55 Details Cleaned 2951825

ANACS Trade Dollars (Cont.)

1878 S EF40 Details Cleaned 2951835

1875 CC AU55 Details Cleaned 2909411

1873 S EF45 Details Cleaned 1504664

1878 S EF45 2731036

1873 CC EF40 Details Cleaned 2950086

1875 CC AU50 Details Corroded 1504683 "

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.c...rd1=fake%20pcgs

Some other giveaways if you have the slab in hand. Fake PCGS slabs do not stack with their authentic counterparts. Also, the hologram on the back of the slab is usually of poor quality and prone to wearing away.

Here's a good link to the NGC website and pictures of fake slabs:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=954

You can see how good the counterfeiters are getting. It's only going to be a matter of time until it will be really hard for most of us to be able to tell the difference.

There are a lot of fake slabs circulating and not only for PCGS....You can see how good the counterfeiters are getting. It's only going to be a matter of time until it will be really hard for most of us to be able to tell the difference.

Thank you for this information. :ninja:

I don't know about the authenticity of the PCGS slab containing the fake rouble. It looks real enough to me, but then so did the fake NGC slab (as shown by NGC) at first glance.

I will be very interested to learn what PCGS has to say about the matter.

The fake did not sell and has been relisted on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250417432990

The seller is asking “only” $699, a $50 reduction. Junk is still junk, however,

and the piece is worthless.

He still says it is Extra Fine + despite the fact that PCGS refused to grade it.

RWJ

No one is perfect. Before PCGS/NGC, experts, even in Russia, were fooled by counterfeits. There is no reason to expect that it won't happen with reputable slabbing companies. The difference here is, if you buy the fake coin in the genuine slab, and you prove to PCGS/NGC that the coin is fake, they will pay you back your money. At least that 's what their guaranty says. Also, if you buy a coin in one of their slabs at a certain grade, and the coin is later downgraded by them, they will pay you the difference between the value at the old grade and the value at the new grade. I understand that PCGS has paid up big time on several occassions. So, for expensive coins, there is some benefit to buying slabbed PCGS/NGC coins beyond just the grade.

Perhaps someone should buy this Moscow Rouble and test PCGS's guaranty.

How about this: I just received an answer from this seller. That is what he responded:

This coin was authentificated by two major grading companies: PCGS and ANACS. Also it was offered by Stacks in January 2009 auction.Thank you for your interest. :ninja:

Just because the slab numbers match with the PCGS database, doesn't mean that it is a real slab...

As well as NGC

They have gotten good, the basically just copy everything down, put a fake coin, in a fake slab, and try and sell it

I found a good link on how to spot fakes... Give me a few

How about this: I just received an answer from this seller. That is what he responded:

This coin was authentificated by two major grading companies: PCGS and ANACS. Also it was offered by Stacks in January 2009 auction.Thank you for your interest.

It is a fake, period. I have been in contact with PCGS and have furnished proof of this.

RWJ

This coin was authentificated by two major grading companies: PCGS and ANACS. Also it was offered by Stacks in January 2009 auction.Thank you for your interest. :ninja:

My observations can differ from others. This particular slab coin was declared a fake without any explanations as we can enjoy reading them in this section. Besides a coin color this slab coin is not so bad. The fake grade could have been hastily made against a seller who had offered some not genuine coins in the past, but not against this particular slab coin. Since a seller responded on my message to him if he reviews this site and he mentioned January Stacks sale, I would not take a side that this one is a fake until I will be able to check Stacks sale as well. Moreover, this slab coin very similar to lot 8260A from Gorny 173. The peeling is notable on this slab coin in two places, which stands for sign of genuine. I very much appreciate a diagnostic procedure from above writer and I made it briefly and was not able to recognize a trick so far. This is my opinion and observation, as anyone else has a right to have one, even mine is different from others.

One more thing, I had no clue that the PCGS slabs said, "genuine not gradable" on them, when they were not gradable...I thought they just put genuine on the front of the slab, and they were done with it

it does not make any common sence indeed; if you cannot grade coin as genuine - why it is still slabed with so genious sign :ninja:

Well if they can't grade they coin, they should give up putting it in a slab, in my opinion....

agree; to the best of your knowledge do you think a coin itself is not genuine; do you have any references to compare this one with another one, and let say if you see one, can you share it here, thank you on advance. :ninja:

My observations can differ from others. This particular slab coin was declared a fake without any explanations as we can enjoy reading them in this section. Besides a coin color this slab coin is not so bad. The fake grade could have been hastily made against a seller who had offered some not genuine coins in the past, but not against this particular slab coin. Since a seller responded on my message to him if he reviews this site and he mentioned January Stacks sale, I would not take a side that this one is a fake until I will be able to check Stacks sale as well. Moreover, this slab coin very similar to lot 8260A from Gorny 173. The peeling is notable on this slab coin in two places, which stands for sign of genuine. I very much appreciate a diagnostic procedure from above writer and I made it briefly and was not able to recognize a trick so far. This is my opinion and observation, as anyone else has a right to have one, even mine is different from others.

I will repeat the statement and make it stronger: I guarantee it is a fake. I note that one-kuna

states that “The fake grade could have been hastily made against a seller who had offered some

not genuine coins in the past, but not against this particular slab coin.” I was unaware that this

seller had sold fakes in the past but thank one-kuna for bringing this to our attention.

In point of fact this coin was in a Stack’s sale but no one bid on it, which says all that is necessary. I have

checked the Gorny piece; it is also a fake. This shows the problem caused by the Chinese fakes and failure

of eBay to police the flood of counterfeits coming out of China.

The diagnostics for determining that this coin is a fake will not be published here for obvious reasons. They

are being furnished to PCGS, however. This is one of the well-known Chinese fakes for the Moscow silver

roubles of 1743 through 1756. The obverses and reverses are identical in each case except for the

date and mintmaster initials changed in the molds.

RWJ

Archived