CoinPeople.com

German Notgled Note Collector

Hi all,

Although not a new member I have only just started using the account i created so long ago.

I collect German Notgeld Notes, I collect all and any but have a special fondness for Silk, Linen, Foil and Leather notes.

My favorite note that I own is this al foil note from 1923

http://germannotgeld.com/Vereinigte%20Alum...autawerker.html

I also have a fond place for notes that depict odd things and intend to create a new topic to that effect.

My hobbies are collecting things!, creating an online notgeld catalog (http://germannotgeld.com) and software development (Collectables Software for tracking my stuff and creating my catalog).

Many are wondering at this point if I am over 200Kg's with poor quality facial hair and a real problem with women :ninja: Ill claim no to all of these.

great site. I also collect notgeld...more interested in the coin but I have stacks of paper as well...I also have a few linen...wouldnt mind finding good examples of a leather and foil note. So far, of the bills I have scanned and posted, I think this is the one I like the best:

papenburg50.jpg

Papenburg / 50 Pfennig Note / 1921 / Lindman 1016 / Mehl 1044

Obv: dat geld mot man vandei liie nahmen van dei bome schiidden kann man't nich / J. Berck - 1921

Translation: The money must taken from the people, you can't shake it from the trees.

Rev: Notgeld der Stadt Papenburg / dieser schein verliert seine gultigkeit ein monat noch offentlichem aufruf / der Magistrat: Jaeger / Gerhard Stalling - Oldenburg

Translation: Notgeld of the City Papenburg / This bill loses its value one month after the public invocation / Magistrate: Jaeger

papendetail2.jpgpapendetail.jpg

Its hard to choose a fav because there are so many interesting notes...plus I have some real attractive notes I have just yet to scan and post to my website.

As for coins, my fav right now is below but again, so many great coins its hard to pick just one:

biel2.jpg

City Savings Bank of Bielefeld (Westfalen) Gilded Bronze 1 Mark Coin / Post WW I Propaganda / Stab-in-the-Back / Occupation of the Ruhr

biel2obv.jpg

Obverse: "Michel unbesiegt aber betrogen" (Michel, undefeated but betrayed) / this inscription is repeating what is known as the 'stab-in-the-back' legend, in German it is called the Dolchstoß-Legende.

Depicted is a bust right resembling Otto von Bismarck as 'Michel' wearing a sleeping cap inside the one denomination.

biel2detail1.jpg

Below is the word "not" (emergency) above the word "GOLDMARK" (currency of the German Empire from 1873 to 1914), The letters of GOLDMARK are used as initials of "GERMANEN LIEBET DEUTSCHLAND MIT ANDACHT REINHEIT KRAFT" (Germans, love Germany with devotion, purity, strength)

biel2detail.jpg

Shield to the right: "WILSON 14 PUNKTE WAFFENSTILLSTAND 1918" (Wilsons 14 point armistice 1918)

biel2rev.jpg

Reverse: "Stadt Bielefeld" (City of Bielefeld) / "Einig und gleich, ein Volk, ein Reich" (United and equal, one people, one empire)

Depicted as kneeling devil is President Raymond Poincaré of France whose name is around the tail. Above his head is a verse from the biblical ethical teachings of Ben Sira:

"SIRACH 23 VERS 7" (Hear, O ye children, the discipline of the mouth: he that keepeth it shall never be taken in his lips.)

The second figure is a Blacksmith leaning on a large hammer and sitting on signs reading:

biel2detail3.jpg

"SCHMIED von BIELEFELD" (Forge of Bielefeld) referring to a local tale about a Blacksmith who makes a deal with the Devil

"SIRACH 30 VERS 12" again referring to a verse in the Book of Sirach (Bow down his neck while he is young, and beat him on the sides while he is a child, lest he wax stubborn, and be disobedient unto thee, and so bring sorrow to thine heart.)

"MINISTER SEVE" (Minister Carl Wilhelm Severing, a politician during the empire and Weimar Republic)

"11.8.1923" (refers to the day when Germany interrupted the reparation payments due to the French-Belgian occupation of the Ruhr area.)

"Ruhrhilfe" (Ruhr Assistance)

The scene on the reverse illustrates a local tale about a blacksmith from Bielefeld co-opted for political satire and propaganda using the French President Raymond Poincaré as the Devil.

Oh...and while not Notgeld...this is something I just pick up recently that fits in well with my notgeld collection:

inflation.jpg

Obv.: The suffering of the German People

Rev:

On 1 November, 1923 cost

1 pound bread

3 billion

1 pound beef

36 billion

1 glass of beer

4 billion

OOh what an interesting post! ;)

Very well done with the website and an intruiguing area of exonumia!! These are like the Conder tokens to me, lots of history to learn...

Oh and do I see a medal sold by me :ninja: hehe very nice medal Drusus - now I understand what it all means..

I have some notgeld notes from Germany and Austria. They're very interesting and some of the designs are quite "wierd". Thanks for sharing these interesting items.

Very nice tokens Drusus/Arminius they give a good indication of cost at the time.

Drusus Quote

"GOLDMARK" (currency of the German Empire from 1873 to 1914)

The Gold Marks in my collection are exclusively from 1923 and were pegged to the US dollar at 4.2 to 1. So it seems Gold Mark was a reuse of an earlier currency?

The Papenburg note you show was one of the first i thought i would acquire due to its interesting nature but even now with 5000+ notes i have not gotten around to it, I had better add it back to my list.

A hand written note? some of it is the main body of the text is either by a very very good hand or is printed.

1 Gold Mark

Authority: Tiengen Baden Elektrizitätskasse?

This has a partial water mark on the side that is very hard to see, it would seem to be the edge of the sheet of paper the notes were printed on and is of the paper makers name

printed on 17/11/1923

Seems to be a low number run however i cant find any catalog info for it.

2467_A.jpg

• 5 months later...

Archived