Post your Roosevelt Dimes

thedeadpoint

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are two dimes that spent an unspecified amount of time in a bathroom sink in my Mom's house.

You gotta love the kinds of things that young nieces and nephews do when no one is looking.

964794.jpg

964793.jpg

Here are two dimes that spent an unspecified amount of time in a bathroom sink in my Mom's house.

You gotta love the kinds of things that young nieces and nephews do when no one is looking.

964794.jpg

964793.jpg

Scarry isn't it? :ninja:

3556574295_7d5ed8b03d_m.jpg3557376006_b6ec855c95_m.jpg

I found this one in an envelope of assorted silver coins. Too bad I can't take decent photos -- the obverse flashes russet, green & magenta.

You can scream now, toning haters. :ninja:

It's the light. It probably looks really terrific in real life.

Don't you (Art) have one of these also?

924758.jpg

Neutron Irradiated Dime

No I don't. Stujoe has one and has posted it a few times in different threads.

And just added this on omnicoin for this thread 1996 westpoint dime still in cellophane. Part of the 1996 mint set. Note I lost a bulb from my two bulb photo set up and both sides the same color as obverse shows.

965275.jpg

The 96W is a terrific looking coin. They have one of the best shots at being pretty valuable one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...

1996 Mint Sets are the only source for the W dime. They're still pretty reasonable - around $15.00. Maybe I'll put one away for each of my grandkids before the collecting community gets hyper on this.

Is the 1969 no S proof the super rare one? or am I thinking of another denomination?

As far as I know there are 70-S, 75-S. and 83-S with no S. There are also 82-P with no P and 79-S with both blob and clear Ss. I really don't know how the values run on these but I thought the 75-S noS was the most expensive.

I was off by a year. Always thought this was a fascinating variety. Sold for $48K+ in 2006.

From Heritage Auctions Archives:

1968 10C No S PR68 Cameo PCGS. The 1968 and 1975 No S proof dimes are arguably the rarest of all 20th century dimes. At first they resemble a Philadelphia coin, but proofs were not struck in that mint in 1968. The San Francisco Mint closed after 1955 and reopened in 1968 with proof coinage produced there. Occasionally proof coins are seen without a mintmark, and these pieces bring enormous premiums. More than 3 million proof dimes were struck in 1968, and in his 1988 reference Breen estimated that "about 6 (are) known." Since that time a few more have surfaced, but probably no more than 12-14 pieces are known today without the S mintmark. Only 16 pieces have been certified by the two major services both as non-cameo and cameo coins (no Deep Cameo pieces have been graded). In order to solve the No S problem, beginning in 1985 the Mint in Philadelphia placed the S mintmark on each year's master die for proofs. This has proved an effective deterrent as only one mintmark-free issue has occurred since (the 1990 No S cent).

So we should all be looking for 1968 unopened proof sets. Like playing the lotto, it might be fun and profitable.

I'm starting to like the Roosevelt dimes more and more. Familiarity I guess. Also ever since I bit the bullet and decided I couldn't make out any info on them without my glasses, I've come to realize they're more attractive when I can actually see them. :ninja:

Good solid date and mm on that 90P. Most that I run into are mangalled with a little blob where the P ought to be.

• 2 weeks later...