CoinPeople.com

1788 Massachusetts Cent and Half Cent Restrikes

The auction stated

"Pair of 1788-Dated Massachusetts Coinage Restrikes by Evans. Red Uncirculated. Breen-972/973.

A beautiful 1/2 Cent and Cent pairing with mostly orange-red surfaces. According to Walter Breen,

these were struck sometime after WWII by Springfield, Massachusetts coin dealer Henry Evans.

Examples are scarcely seen and seldom offered at auction."

7121763d.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

More info: Breen assigned #972 for the half cent and #973 to the 1¢ restrike in his Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins, and supposedly made the comment: "these were struck sometime after WWII by Springfield, Massachusetts coin dealer Henry Evans in the late 1940's or early 1950's" and "examples are scarcely seen and seldom offered at auction". The restrike was supposedly listed in the Red Book through the 1960's and is highly collectable copy. Sometimes listed as "Evans" rather than the correct Evanson attribution. The single set of each of the dies (one cent and half cents were struck) had been defaced and destroyed years ago.\

Here's some pix of my halfcent...

NH FINDS 06-09 017.jpg

NH FINDS 06-09 016 copy.jpg

Neat coins and terrific information. I somehow missed the original post. Sure wouldn't mind having one of those in my collection.

steelheadwill - Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. Glad you're here.

• 2 months later...

More info: Breen assigned #972 for the half cent and #973 to the 1¢ restrike in his Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins, and supposedly made the comment: "these were struck sometime after WWII by Springfield, Massachusetts coin dealer Henry Evans in the late 1940's or early 1950's" and "examples are scarcely seen and seldom offered at auction". The restrike was supposedly listed in the Red Book through the 1960's and is highly collectable copy. Sometimes listed as "Evans" rather than the correct Evanson attribution. The single set of each of the dies (one cent and half cents were struck) had been defaced and destroyed years ago.\

Here's some pix of my halfcent...

Thanks for the added information. I had a plastic holder made for them and still have to get it inscribed.

I was also able to acquire another pair, so now I have two of each. I really enjoy them.

Here is the layout for the holders.

d14ea813.jpg