CoinPeople.com

1667 French Jeton VINCIT . DVM . RESPICIT

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

LVD. XIIII. ET. MAR. THER. D. G. FRA. ET NAV. REX. ET. REG = Louis XIV and Maria Theresia by the Grace of God King & Queen of France & Navarre.

Rev. VINCIT . DVM . RESPICIT. = He is the winner while we watch : The sun dissipates the clouds.

Any help, info and corrections would be appreciated.

Marie Therese, daughter of Philip IV of Spain, born 1638. married Louis XIV in 1660. The marriage agreement was one aspect of the peace negotiations between Spain and France (1659/60). Each year from 1660 through to 1673 a base metal jeton with the busts of LXIV and his wife (obverse) was issued as a stock jeton.

Your jeton is referenced in Feuardent as 13068

In 1667 the reverse used was the same as for the `Ordinaire des Guerres' series.

A similar one from that marriage issues:

med57.jpg

France, 1660 AD.,

Brass Token (Jeton) (28 mm / 6,54 g),

Obv.: LVD XIIII ET MAR THER D G FRA ET NAV REX ET REG (Louis XIV et Marie-Thérèse par la grâce de Dieu roi et reine de France et de Navarre) , bustes affrontées de Louis XIV et de Marie Thérèse d'Autriche drapés..

Rev.: FELICITAS PVBLICA / 1660 , clasped hands.

ref. :ninja: .

regards

I've just reviewed my last post having suffered from a severe brain fart.

Marie Therese daughter of Philip IV of Spain was indeed also called Marie Therese D'Autriche. My error.

The jeton that Arminius has posted is referenced as Feuardent 13030, Mitchiner 3275, Dugniolle 4147.

It was issued to mark their marriage in 1660.

I've just reviewed my last post having suffered from a severe brain fart.

Marie Therese daughter of Philip IV of Spain was indeed also called Marie Therese D'Autriche. My error.

The jeton that Arminius has posted is referenced as Feuardent 13030, Mitchiner 3275, Dugniolle 4147.

It was issued to mark their marriage in 1660.

Thanks for the reference!

Obviously the female princess Lous XIV married has been "relocated by name" in the English wikipedia. There she is called Maria Theresa of Spain (Spanish: María Teresa; French: Marie-Thérèse) (10 September 1638 – 30 July 1683) .

The Spanish and French wiki pages are correct: María Teresa de Austria (en francés: Marie-Thérèse d'Autriche) (10 de septiembre de 1638, El Escorial, España – 30 de julio de 1683, Versalles, Francia), Infanta de España y Reina consorte de Francia.

As the Spanish Kigs of those days had been Hapsburg-Austrian origin her name refers to that and not their home country were she was born and lived.

The promiscuous marrying of the European nobility can be very confusing.

regards

Thanks for the reference!

Obviously the female princess Lous XIV married has been "relocated by name" in the English wikipedia. There she is called Maria Theresa of Spain (Spanish: María Teresa; French: Marie-Thérèse) (10 September 1638 – 30 July 1683) .

The Spanish and French wiki pages are correct: María Teresa de Austria (en francés: Marie-Thérèse d'Autriche) (10 de septiembre de 1638, El Escorial, España – 30 de julio de 1683, Versalles, Francia), Infanta de España y Reina consorte de Francia.

As the Spanish Kigs of those days had been Hapsburg-Austrian origin her name refers to that and not their home country were she was born and lived.

The promiscuous marrying of the European nobility can be very confusing.

regards

Marie / Maria was a very popular name at that time, probably due to the religious context and connoitations.

I hadn't referred to Wiki as it can be wildly innacurate, but then again, sometimes it does provides better data than `memory' alone .:ninja: In any event I exerienced a senior moment. I have about six or seven of the jetons in this particular series that I haven't got round to scanning as yet. I'll post them at some stage.

• 1 month later...

The place where money, hostages and other booty was excanged between France and Spain:

tok105a.jpg

ca. 1660 AD.,

Copper Token (Jeton) (27 mm / 6,10 g),

Obv.: LVD XIIII ET MAR THER D G FR ET NAV REX ET REG (Louis XIV et Marie-Thérèse par la grâce de Dieu roi et reine de France et de Navarre) , bustes affrontées de Louis XIV et de Marie Thérèse d'Autriche drapés.

Rev.: ÆTERNO FŒDERE IVNGAM / ornament , ("J'unirai par un traité éternel") , view of the l'île des Faisans at the bordering river Bidassoa, connected to France and Spain by two pontoon bridges - Plan de l'île des Faisans, jointe aux rives par deux ponts de bateaux.

Ref. :ninja: .

... Her father, Philip IV, and the entire Spanish court accompanied the bride to the Isle of Pheasants, in the Bidassoa, where Louis and his court met her (in 1660). ...

Pheasant Island is a river island located in the River Bidasoa. The island is a condominium, under joint sovereignty of Spain and France, and so administered by Irún (in Guipúzcoa, Spain) and Hendaye (in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France), which are in charge of the island during alternating periods of six months. It has a surface of 6,820 m² and has been artificially protected from the currents of the river.

The island is called Isla de los Faisanes in Spanish, Île des Faisans, Île de l’hôpital or Île de la Conférence in French and Konpantzia in Basque.

The most important historical event that took place on the island was the signing of the Treaty of the Pyrenees after a series of 24 conferences between Luis de Haro and Cardinal Mazarin in 1659 to end the Thirty Years' War. A monolith in the centre of the island was raised to commemorate this event.

The miracle of the crown defying the law of gravity:

Marie-Thérèse, technically already Queen of France, wore a gown covered in the royal fleur-de-lys: her uncovered hair proved to be so thick that it was difficult to attach a crown to it.

Archived