CoinPeople.com
Sign in to follow this  
geordie582

Sixpenny Piggy bank

Here's a relic of UK pre-TV! A sixpenny savings bank to accumulate enough to buy a wireless licence! Those were the days when we had to save up to affor £1. Real social history!

429975245a9f6d01e21bf96c05792cfaa2a0cba7468d80a04ec38a4820c1bef0d9c11a44.jpg

On auction now on Visit My E-bay auction

That's a great item. I'd never seen these before.

Anyone know why the image in Photobox is not available? It's a .jpg image and 120x120 pixels.

By the way Art, you won't have them over the pond as you don't pay licence fees as far as I know!

They charge you a license to listen to a radio? Geordie, let me introduce you to a concept called "freedom"...

They charge you a license to listen to a radio? Geordie, let me introduce you to a concept called "freedom"...

No. They used to.

Before 1971 the government decided to fund the BBC by a radio licence instead of commercials. This lasted until 1971 and BBC television and radio still has no commercials but we still have to pay a TV licence. :ninja:

Freedom?? This is Britain under Labour. We have a Anti-freedom police for a concept called Political correctness ;) There will probably be a knock on the door shortly as they now monitor E-mails and Forums.

No. They used to.

Before 1971 the government decided to fund the BBC by a radio licence instead of commercials. This lasted until 1971 and BBC television and radio still has no commercials but we still have to pay a TV licence. :ninja:

Clive forgot to mention they are looking for ways to charge for viewing TV on computers ;)