Art's US Large Cents Collection

Art

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1851 N20
1851N20F128obv-vi.jpg1851N20F128rev-vi.jpg
Again, the picture is a little darker than the coin. I have to get my photo capability working correctly.

Do you think the weakness of the 1 on the same coin is due to circulation wear or die wear?

I love the 5's on the 1855. Just look really nice.

On the 1851 the weakness of the second 1 is almost definitely a die problem. It doesn't have the corresponsing wear in the area for it to have been worn away that much.

Large cents had lots of die problems. Some of the varieties contain such extensive die cracks that there are lines all across/around the coin. None of the coins that are pictured here are that cleary from overly worn dies. Blackhawk had posted a large cent with the die crack running between almost all of the stars. Those are spectacular.

Blackhawk had posted a large cent with the die crack running between almost all of the stars. Those are spectacular.

I agree. Been looking for them at coin shows but nothing has turned up except really worn ones (G-VG). The cracks were barely visable even under magnification.

I agree. Been looking for them at coin shows but nothing has turned up except really worn ones (G-VG). The cracks were barely visable even under magnification.

Like this? I bought this one for the die breaks, too :ninja:

905406.jpg

Like this? I bought this one for the die breaks, too :lol:

905406.jpg

That is so beautiful. :ninja: I really want one of those...

I really want one that's UNC, but they're pricey.

There are several varieties of large cents that have similar "through the stars" die breaks. The 1820 N-13 (I think) is even better looking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I received my first US large cent today :ninja:

916499.jpg

That's a fantastic addition to your typeset. I don't have an 1837 in my set -- yet. Currently working backwards and looking at 1838s. Also need an 1857.

Didn't notice it before I put it in a 2x2 : the obverse and reverse dies were not properly aligned when the coin was struck, they're 15°-20° off.

Is that normal for large cents, or uncommon or even rare (I guess pretty normal, looking at the characters in "one cent" which aren't nicely aligned either.....)

Didn't notice it before I put it in a 2x2 : the obverse and reverse dies were not properly aligned when the coin was struck, they're 15°-20° off.

Is that normal for large cents, or uncommon or even rare (I guess pretty normal, looking at the characters in "one cent" which aren't nicely aligned either.....)

It's pretty common in the coins of that age but it's still noteworthy.

• 4 months later...