CoinPeople.com

Art's US Large Cents Collection

Art

As you may recall, I've ventured into US Large Cents as a main focus for my collection. I had just started to post some info on the coins that I've been purchasing when the old site went away. So they're back.

First Large Cent for my collection -- It's a Late Date cent. Large Cent collectors break the coins down into three catagories, Early Dates 1793-1814, Middle Dates 1816-1839, and Late Dates 1840-1857.

1843 N6 MDS F12/8

899897.jpg

As I learn more about what all of the different designations really mean, I'll update this.

N6 = Newcomb 6 that's the variety as described by Newcomb in his book.

This is a "very common" variety.

MDS = Middle Die State

F12/8 = the grade of the coin. This is EAC grading. The coin's grade is F12 but because of scratches and recoloring its net grade is 8.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, can I post my large cent collection too?

Of course. The more the merrier. Besides your pics are always better.

:ninja:

That's a real nice start ... Looks like you've been putting those new books to good use, huh? :ninja:

Here are a few more of my recent additions. I've got to get my coin photography act together. I think I can get better closeups.

1845N4 EDS(a)

900088.jpg

Picture is pretty dark. The coin is a little dark but very pleasing color. I think the yellow background threw it off.

1846N1 MDS©

900089.jpg

Art, looks like the guy you're getting them from knows his stuff. A HUGE +. I can't wait to see further additions. Those are SWEET!!

There are two guys I've gotten these from. They're both collectors who are selling duplicates or coins scheduled for upgrade to enhance their collections. The fellow who has had most of them is an EAC member and a very serious Large Cent collector.

I've got a few more to post. I'll get to them over the weekend.

Wow Art, you certainly go full force.  Beauties!

Yes. I had sold some stuff to gather money for a few Indian Heads that I wanted. I was going to go to the Atlanta show or maybe even the ANA show and look for them. BUT, as life will have it, I was not able to go to Atlanta and I'm really sure that I won't make it to San Francisco. So I decided to give my Large Cent collection a kick-start. I also purchased a bunch of the books that I need and paid my dues for Early American Coppers.

Books:

Breen Encyclopedia of Half Cents

Breen Encyclopeida of Large Cents

Penny Whimsey

The Cent - John Wright

Late Date Large Cents - Grellman

The books were a big chunk of change. But they're great. I'm just starting the learning process for these wonderful coins. Having the Grellman attributed coins may have cost a few more bucks to start, but it gives me something to compare against the books and learn from.

There - was that wordy enough?

F12/8 = the grade of the coin. This is EAC grading. The coin's grade is F12 but because of scratches and recoloring its net grade is 8.

It has been my experience in my somewhat limited travels in the numismatic world that the graders of early Large American coppers are a very anal group. They grade very tightly, and with very unbending rigid standards. Coins that I would grade a full, maybe even two, grades higher are constantly being knocked down due to this minor strike in the field or this rim knock.

Early Copper graders are a tough bunch!

It has been my experience in my somewhat limited travels in the numismatic world that the graders of early Large American coppers are a very anal group. They grade very tightly, and with very unbending rigid standards.  Coins that I would grade a full, maybe even two, grades higher are constantly being knocked down due to this minor strike in the field or this rim knock.

Early Copper graders are a tough bunch!

The grading is pretty tough. But you get a much better feel for what the coin will look like when you open the envelope. I've been told that it translates pretty nicely pricewise and that people who know what they're looking for recognize that EAC grading means that these standards have been applied and pay accordingly.

I looked at the prices realized list from the EAC 2005 Auction. WOW! When you get folks talkling about things like "I just bought my first 5 figure cent.", they mean business.

So far lots of fun. ;)

The grading is pretty tough. But you get a much better feel for what the coin will look like when you open the envelope. I've been told that it translates pretty nicely pricewise and that people who know what they're looking for recognize that EAC grading means that these standards have been applied and pay accordingly.

I looked at the prices realized list from the EAC 2005 Auction. WOW! When you get folks talkling about things like "I just bought my first 5 figure cent.", they mean business.

So far lots of fun. ;)

EAC'ers aren't that tough. They, (along with many other old fogeys such as myself) seem to think that the grade is what it is and has nothing to do with the coin's alleged worth. For example, if a coin grades F-12 it should be called F-12, not VF-20--even if it is worth VF money.

PCGS (and the other TPC's) no longer grade coins--they price them. This is why that EAC F-12 in the example above would probably slab as VF-20 to 25 but cost about the same.

Jim

Just won these guys on eBay. They're from a gentleman who's an EAC member and each Large Cent was attributed and graded by Grellman.

1810 S-284

900319.jpg