CoinPeople.com

1820 - One of my forgotten years

I was digging through my safe the other day and realized that at least one of the boxes I found had escaped my re-imaging project of last year. So here without too much further ado are the forgotten folks of 1820...

Death of King George III, Great Britain.

961090.jpg

BHM 993 - 25mm - Details C

961053.jpg

BHM 995 - 25mm - Details RRRR

960996.jpg

BHM 1002 - 40mm - Details C

961024.jpg

BHM 1005 - Details R

Some more:

Blackburn Hundred Pitt Club, Great Britain.

960999.jpg

--- - 41mm - Details R

Withdrawal of the Divorce Bill, Great Britain.

961049.jpg

BHM 1039 - 25mm - Details R

Université de France, France.

961050.jpg

--- - 33.5mm - Details R?

Hehe. He had a great nose. In fact if someone starts a nose thread I'll put him up. :ninja:

Death of King George III, Great Britain.

961091.jpg

BHM 996 - 25mm - Details RRRR

I'm always reminded of the merciless ribbing Pitt got in Black Adder 3.

Sir Joseph Banks, Great Britain.

961154.jpg

BHM 1041 - 38mm - Details

Usually found inscribed this is one of those medals that has been in use for nearly two centuries. Because of the collection I acquired it from I'm fairly certain that it's contemporary to 1820 but it could easily date as late as the 1930s. The original medal was engraved and struck in 1820.

And another:

The Elgin Marbles, Great Britain.

961463.jpg

BHM 1061 - 48mm - Details

One of a set of 48 and since in white metal probably a later restrike. The white metal restrikes were concentrated apparently in the 1840s.

And another:

The Elgin Marbles, Great Britain.

961463.jpg

BHM 1061 - 48mm - Details

One of a set of 48 and since in white metal probably a later restrike. The white metal restrikes were concentrated apparently in the 1840s.

Love it, vern! something seems special about the relief but I can't explain why.

• 1 month later...

c. 1820 Louis XVIII, France

963882.jpg

Details - 17.5mm

I just picked this up this past week. I like little medals and that's practically the only reason for buying this. It's probably post 2nd Restoration although it could date as early as 1814. It's unlikely to be post 1824, Louis XVIII wasn't an inspiring or popular King so he basically disappears from medals at that point. It could have been part of a set of some sort, otherwise I haven't a clue why it was made.

There were some superb jetons issued during the reign(s) of Louis XVIII. I'm particularly drawn to your silver octagonal `Universite de France' though.

I'm drawn to the subject of `noses' though and maybe we should have a thread to help determine `the nose of noses'. Pitt would be up there along with Louis XIV

961463.jpg

Absolutely love this medal. I'm fond of both the topic and its aesthetics, many thanks for sharing.

Archived