CoinPeople.com

My 2009 double eagle

jtryka

Anyhow, it got lost in the "What did the mailman bring" thread, so I thought maybe some others would like to see it.

You just wanted to brag about it more :ninja:

When you see this coin as you approach your coin desk, do you think it looks like the coin it mimics or just a blatant copy?

I wanted to buy one, but after my experience with buying the platinum proofs last year, I couldn't fathom doing business with this current US mint marketing SNAFU. And after all that trouble, I hear that they have actually made it more difficult to return defective merchandise since then.

These $20's are very pretty coins and a nice idea. I think I will buy one aftermarket when the prices come back down to reality.

Well, as far as prices coming back to reality, it might take a while based on the eBay crazieness going on right now around these coins. If they ever lift the order limit, you might see a drop, but given the new flexible mint pricing it still might be tough to see these trade at melt (unless of course gold rockets to $1500 in 2010). As for the coin itself, it looks very close to the original I saw in the Smithsonian a few years back, but it's nothing like a normal low relief Saint. The main differences are 1) 50 stars on the obverse vs. 46, 2) date of MMIX vs. MCMVII and 3) the motto added on the reverse (this one is the most annoying to me). Still, overall I think this is the nicest coin to come out of the mint since the originals!

3) the motto added on the reverse (this one is the most annoying to me). Still, overall I think this is the nicest coin to come out of the mint since the originals!

The IGWT was not on the original coin, Teddy Roosevelt was a very religious man, and did not think God belonged on coinage that might be used for immoral purposes. How is that for a reason to not have IGWT on the coins?

But now our coinage must pander to special interests, who do not see such associations. As for me, I agree with Teddy Roosevelt. He liked God, nice coins, etc. But he did not believe they had to be together.

It is a great coin. I'm still waiting on mine to come in. I got all of my friends and family to order one also. When they finally come in I should have about seven of them. I will be sending all of them into NGC for grading. They have a great looking lable just for these coins. I am really anxious when I will get mine in.

From the mint site. Looks like you made it in a sweet spot to get one.

2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin (UH1)

Price: $1,289.00 Qty. More Info.

Product will be available for shipping 05/24/2009

Archived