CoinPeople.com

FUN 09 Pickings

oldbucks

I picked up a few FRBN Stars and other selected treasures. Sorry I am late posting these.

My focus has been directed to obtaining collector rarities besides notes that are just darn good looking. I have been on a mission with the small FRBN Stars for a couple years now. Along those lines, I wanted to add that for the Large Legal Tenders shown above, for type set collectors there are other Fr. #s that are more plentiful and are not considered as rare.

The signiture combinations for these are more rare.... As far as "bang for the buck" I considered these note to be much more worthy than buying a Large Silver Certifcate 1923 Fr. 239.

ie....

Fr. 143 $20 1880 Legal Tender PMG Choice Very Fine 35. Track & Price lists 81 known pieces for this Friedberg number. PMG has seen 13 of them, four at this level and above, and nine below. The highest seen by PMG is an About Uncirculated 55.

Fr. 145 $20 1880 Legal Tender PMG Very Fine 25. This is a scarce Friedberg number with a census population in the low 60's and with this being the second highest of only six pieces graded by PMG. This scarcity is further borne out by the fact that we have never had more than one example in any of our 51 floor auctions going back to 1990.

Jeff

13101a.jpg

13101b.jpg

13124.jpg

13140.jpg

13151.jpg

13179.jpg

14908.jpg

14910.jpg

16697.jpg

16699.jpg

Jeff

Now, I LOOOVE all of those notes, and I'm also someone who has been looking for a suitable FR 239 for some years now (so I took personal offense to your above note :ninja: ), BUT I have to ask a few questions:

1) Did you know how rare and available these notes were before you purchased them?

2) Appx. how much did you pay for them?

I ask about prices because I'm very budget conscious right now (for obvious reasons). I've ben meaning to start a new series since I'm getting stuck on my current banknote pursuit (no help from the 239!). The Legal Tenders look like fun.

thedeadpoint

Dont take offense to my comment. I am also looking for the right 239 to come around. My comment was made as far as taking advantage of a rare note opportunity. I knew both of these were tough to find and it was a matter of time.

I find a fair number of collectors are "type" collectors and the rarer signiture combos sometimes passes through their hands unnoticed.

I think if you look through most large note series, you will find similar situations in different denomination and type notes. With legal tenders, the availability of a $20 note when it was in circulation and the economic hard times that followed was uncertain. There would have been multiple opportunities along the way for someone to need to use it for day to day living.

The Bison note is more popular, more were produced, but look at all the different issues of them. (Fr.#'s) Its the same with the $20's, but fewer of them available because of the denomination being higher.

Look at $50 FRN from the early 1900's. It would have been the equivalent of someone walking around with a $1000.00 today. I still say those and the $100 FRNs are undervalued. Its just the demand and perception of the market has not caught sight of that yet.

Jeff

Archived