CoinPeople.com
sandy3075

Beauties of the South Africa

As I just got 2 incomplete proof sets, one 47 and another 49 I think it is time to share some of these coins that have most attracted me for the last few years. Beside being part of British Africa that I am so interested in, they represent a fine art of coining. Let's start with 1949 half penny, mintage 800 of proof sets that year, they did not mint gold until 1952 anniversary sets. And I also just noticed that it also has a re-cut top of the 4 in the year, it appears on both half penny specimens I have.

SA49Ds___South_Africa_1949_half_penny_pr_obverse.JPG

SA49Ds___South_Africa_1949_half_penny_pr_reverse.JPG

That's a beautiful coin. The ship design is fantastic.

Unusually toned but nice 1947 crown in proof, darker cheeck is not a scratch, just same color toning as in the fields. 1947 is much more affordable year, there were 5,600 proof crowns minted selebrating George VI Royal visit to the Dominion.

SA47Ds___South_Africa_1947_5_shillings_pr_obverse.JPG

SA47Ds___South_Africa_1947_5_shillings_pr_reverse.JPG

An interesting and rare series in proof. Thank you for sharing.

Super looking proofs, thanks for sharing them with us :ninja:

Continuing with my new found knowledg of how to embed coin images. This one is a 6 pence from the same set mentioned above, 1947 last year of the imperial coinage before India obtained independence. Darker on the obverse but slpashing light proof on reverse

959459.jpg

Terrific coins.

I'll just keep going here with mixed South Africa coinage/ Here is a very nice 1956 shilling. they were minted in abundance and probably are, not scare, but this nice is not often seen on eBay.

996013.jpg

I do not remember if I posted this particular type before in another post, but this one certainly belongs here.

1016304.jpg

Great looking coin. The ship scene is very nicely done.

I have a set of 1960 South African coins in uncirculated condition. The threepence has a mintage of 18,000 and the Halfcrown a mintage of 12,000. The rest can be found here.

http://www.neocollec...ll/5935/?page=4

Very nice coins.

I have a set of 1960 South African coins in uncirculated condition. The threepence has a mintage of 18,000 and the Halfcrown a mintage of 12,000. The rest can be found here.

http://www.neocollec...ll/5935/?page=4

I also have a set of 1962 Republic of South Africa coins, of these coins this is the lowest mintage at 8,745

62sa2c.jpg

62saobv.jpg

I'm a big fan of Kruger-Gray as a coin designer, so I had to add one of the shillings to my collection. This one fit the bill nicely. :)

1953_SouthAfrica_Shilling_PCGS_PF67CAM_c

Beautiful coin. I love the design.