CoinPeople.com

2009 First Spouse Gold Coin Designs Unveiled by US Mint

Nightwing

The United States Mint today revealed the 2009 First Spouse Gold Coin designs. The five one-half ounce $10 gold coins feature images portraying presidential spouses Anna Harrison, Letitia and Julia Tyler (first and second wives), Sarah Polk, and Margaret Taylor.

2009-First-Spouse-Gold-Coin-Designs-by-US-Mint.jpg

The gold, 24-karat (.9999-fine) coins enters their third year of production. They began in 2007 with the same release schedule as the Presidential $1 Coins. 2009 brings a uniquess to the series in that an extra coin will be struck because President Tyler’s first wife, Letitia, died in 1822 and he remarried Julia in 1884.

The full article is at: http://www.coinnews.net/2008/12/23/2009-fi...y-us-mint-4637/ and includes larger images with links to both the former president and first lady's biographies.

I was considering getting the medals last year when I started collecting the Presidential $1 coins, but I figured they're really not circulating coins and just pieces of, well "art," produced by the US Mint. Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you. They would actually make nice companion pieces for the Presidential coins, but I wish instead of being medals they were on real half dollars.

I was considering getting the medals last year when I started collecting the Presidential $1 coins, but I figured they're really not circulating coins and just pieces of, well "art," produced by the US Mint. Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you. They would actually make nice companion pieces for the Presidential coins, but I wish instead of being medals they were on real half dollars.

I think that would have been a much better plan than these gold coins. It may get some circulation action going on half dollar too. I'm hoping the mint will start to offer the half dollars for face with free shipping right along with the dollars. After all -- half dollar coins used regularly would have a similar effect on the one dollar note to what the dollar coins are doing.

Are there any machines that even accept half dollars any longer? I tried using one a couple different times at my local grocery stores self checkout lane and the half dollar would not take. The $1 coin was happily accepted though. :ninja:

Maybe there are a few, but none that I'm aware of. The toll machines on FL's turnpike used to accept them, but I don't know if they still do.

Archived