CoinPeople.com

World Coin Final Round

World Coin Final Round  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which coin face best deserves to represent World coins in the Coinpeople titlebar?

• 5) 1770 Proof Halfpenny - obverse
    • 5) 1770 Proof Halfpenny - reverse
    • 11) 1799 George III Gilt Proof Farthing - obverse
    • 11) 1799 George III Gilt Proof Farthing - reverse
    • 6) 1887 Proof Crown - obverse
    • 6) 1887 Proof Crown - reverse

Vote for the coin face that best represents World coins. This coin will go in the titlebar at the top of this page.

5) Marv - Great Britain 1770 Proof Halfpenny, PCGS PF66 RB. Ex: Goldbergs Terner sale, Ex: Bruce Lorich

909395.jpg

11) Hussulo - 1799 George III gilt proof farthing P1269. Ex Colin Cooke & Dr. Johnstone collection.

2h87bwh.jpg

6) Marv - Great Britain 1887 Proof Crown, NGC PF66, Victoria Jubilee Head Ex: UBS Auc. 72, Ex: Stack's 1985 50th Anniversary Sale

946558.jpg

Voting ends Saturday, January 10th

Interesting. I made my choice on the best representative for Brit coins. I forgot its for WORLD coins. I would have gone with Queen V's obverse or George III halfpenny obverse.

1837 reverse.

By the way can we redesign the title bar so we can make the coins a bit bigger. Just large enough so novices like myself can really appreciate them?

That's 1887 not 1837. Victoria had been "on the throne" for 50 years. I hope she got off occasionally for some exercise.

Also, I think you have a good idea, but I would like to see the images "clickable" so that one could get an enlargement by clicking on the thumbnail. That way, you wouldn't have to take up more space, and those that wanted to see a closeup could.

Glad you like the crown. Those late Victoria proof crowns, both the 1887 and the 1893, were poorly cared for by the recipients, so it's almost impossible to find them without a lot of hairlines, and those are easy to find. This one has only a few very tiny marks and very lovely toning making it decidedly rare. Its first appearance I saw was in the Stacks 50th Anniversary sale of 1985, where it garnered $1000. In 2008, it went for $2600 in the UBS "Peak" collection sale, which, if you should come across the catalog, was a great collection of mostly spectacularly toned world coins, which was one reason for the title "Peak" applied to the sale.

Marv Finnley

That's 1887 not 1837. Victoria had been "on the throne" for 50 years. I hope she got off occasionally for some exercise.

Also, I think you have a good idea, but I would like to see the images "clickable" so that one could get an enlargement by clicking on the thumbnail. That way, you wouldn't have to take up more space, and those that wanted to see a closeup could.

Glad you like the crown. Those late Victoria proof crowns, both the 1887 and the 1893, were poorly cared for by the recipients, so it's almost impossible to find them without a lot of hairlines, and those are easy to find. This one has only a few very tiny marks and very lovely toning making it decidedly rare. Its first appearance I saw was in the Stacks 50th Anniversary sale of 1985, where it garnered $1000. In 2008, it went for $2600 in the UBS "Peak" collection sale, which, if you should come across the catalog, was a great collection of mostly spectacularly toned world coins, which was one reason for the title "Peak" applied to the sale.

Marv Finnley

Fixed!

Yeah, having the ability to enlarge the image when once clicks or moves their mouse over the image would be a good idea. Actually, this just gave me an idea. Why not have it link to another page in which explains more about the coin? That way we of course could include both the obverse and reverse and some historical information.

Fixed!

Yeah, having the ability to enlarge the image when once clicks or moves their mouse over the image would be a good idea. Actually, this just gave me an idea. Why not have it link to another page in which explains more about the coin? That way we of course could include both the obverse and reverse and some historical information.

If you guys can figure that out, go for it. I was just going to ask the admins to figure it out once we decide what the images are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I'll bet you remember these beauties. Part of the Season Seven finals in 2010. I'm guessing most of them will be back for 2011's contest.

Vote for the coin face that best represents World coins. This coin will go in the titlebar at the top of this page.

5) Marv - Great Britain 1770 Proof Halfpenny, PCGS PF66 RB. Ex: Goldbergs Terner sale, Ex: Bruce Lorich

909395.jpg

11) Hussulo - 1799 George III gilt proof farthing P1269. Ex Colin Cooke & Dr. Johnstone collection.

2h87bwh.jpg

6) Marv - Great Britain 1887 Proof Crown, NGC PF66, Victoria Jubilee Head Ex: UBS Auc. 72, Ex: Stack's 1985 50th Anniversary Sale

946558.jpg

Voting ends Saturday, January 10th

Archived