CoinPeople.com

What could come after the 2009 District of Columbia and United States Territories Quarters Program

Nightwing

Taken from : http://www.coinnews.net/2008/12/11/quarter...s-4604/Quarters for 10 Years to Honor National Parks

By CoinNews.net on Dec 11th, 2008 in Coin or Numismatic News, Proposed or Recent Coinage Legislation

Legislation to create at least 56 newly designed quarters over a ten-year period is now a presidential signature away from law. America’s Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act (H.R.6184) passed in the House of Representatives July 9, 2008 and unexpectedly made its way through the lame duck session of the Senate on Wednesday.

It is all too common for legislation to take months and sometimes years to pass. Hope for 2008 action on H.R.6184 dwindled further as the political season approached and the resulting lame duck members of congress returned to Washington D.C. to close out the year. Few would have expected its Senate passage by Unanimous Consent this year.

President Bush will likely sign the bill into law within ten days. With that, commemorative national park or site quarters at the rate of five different designs per year for each state, D.C. and U.S. Territory will be issued beginning in 2010. The legislation authorizes a second round of quarters at the discretion of the Treasury Secretary, which could push the series into 2020.

So even in this economy the US Eagle can't find work on the back of the US quarter. :ninja:

I'm pretty surprised that this passed at this time too. I'm sure that President Bush will sign it. I'm hoping it will be a nice and fun program.

i think there should be famous american housecats. and then, after that, a disney series.

I think the Disney series should be saved for new denominations of notes, like a $3.00 bill and a $4.00 bill.

Ugh. Can we PLEASE get back to normal? I guess the park quarters could be pretty (I'm a fan of the Colorado quarter, for instance), but can't the quarters echo the nickel in that it had its fun, now it's just a nickel again?

Also, WTF are these legislators doing!? Don't they have more important $#!+ to do besides all this coin business everyone has forgotten about? &%^$.

These programs generate huge profits for the government. Everything from proof set sales to quarter bags and rolls, covers, etc.

Actually, the new series could be fun. Just think of long term value and what future coin collectors will be talking about here on Coin People 100 years from now. They'll probably be talking about how 100 years ago the government really cared to interest the people in using money so they changed the reverse of the quarters 4 times a year for 20 years sparking a huge interest in collecting. Around the same time they did much smaller programs with the nickel, penny and dollar coin. People will differ in opinions. Some will say what they government did was great for collectors. Others will say it was a successful program by the government to make money. Still, others will say, "wait, there was a dollar coin?"

Archived