CoinPeople.com

California State Seal Medals

bill

A few years later, the state seal die was not doing so good. This store card dates to about 1915:

990724.jpg

It has all but shattered at this point in its use.

It is not a Moise medal, rather it is made by Hammersmith and Field for the Native Sons of the Golden West to award to returning veterans of the Spanish American War:

990907.jpg

Reportedly 6,000 were struck. They were awarded unengraved. If a recipient want them engraved, the space was provided to do so. Most (maybe all) were originally issued with a mount and hanger. I've only seen one with the badge part intact.

I like the modification of the state seal, especially the seated bear.

• 9 months later...

I'm slowly adding to my collection of the Moise post earthquake state seal medals. I acquired a store card for Lucas Secret Service (a detective agency) date 1915. The state seal die does not yet have the large die breaks present on the Moise store card.

1001085.jpg

My mystery piece:

1001086.jpg

I acquired this probable "game counter" a couple of weeks ago. It does not appear in the standard reference for California counters and no one can recall having ever seen another. I suspect the flag design places it in the 1860s during the Civil War, but maybe not. I am really happy I was able to acquire it. Now, if I can only figure out its history.

Nice pieces bill. I notice that on the first the prowling animal is a bear on the second it appears to be a lying wolf.

Another wonderful subject. I see now that I will never be able to focus on just one area of coin collecting or exonumia. I guess variety IS the spice of life after all. Here is a blurb from the California State web site on the State Seal.

"The Constitutional Convention of 1849 adopted the Great Seal of the State of California. The seal was designed by Major R. S. Garnett of the United States Army, and proposed by Caleb Lyon, a clerk of the convention. The Roman goddess of wisdom, Minerva, has at her feet a grizzly bear and clusters of grapes representing wildlife and agricultural richness. A miner works near the busy Sacramento River, below the Sierra Nevada peaks. The Greek word "Eureka" meaning "I have found it", probably refers to the miner's discovery of gold. Near the upper edge of the seal are 31 stars representing the number of states with California's anticipated admission. Just as Minerva sprung full-grown from the head of Jupiter, California became a state on September 9, 1850, without having to go through a territorial stage."

While it is not a state seal medal, the hanger on this Grand Army of the Republic badge should erase all doubt about the grizzly bear on California's state seal:

6867945837_1c3ac372ba_b.jpg

If nothing else, those claws should convince you that these were serious bears!

While it is not a state seal medal, the hanger on this Grand Army of the Republic badge should erase all doubt about the grizzly bear on California's state seal:If nothing else, those claws should convince you that these were serious bears!

Very interesting to note that the Bear has detail on both sides

Archived