CoinPeople.com

2009 Sacagawea $1 coin design revealed

Nightwing

So now every year we'll have 5 different dollar coin designs that the general public will reject in favor of the dollar bill.

Way to go!!

Oh yeah, the "In God We Trust” looks out of place on the obverse without the year and the mint mark to counter-balance it.

So now every year we'll have 5 different dollar coin designs that the general public will reject in favor of the dollar bill.

Way to go!!

Oh yeah, the "In God We Trust” looks out of place on the obverse without the year and the mint mark to counter-balance it.

Maybe once Kennedy is gone they'll be able to dump the $1 bill.

Way to go!!

Maybe these will take off big in Ecuador!?!?

I agree with the balancing act, but I must admit edge letter does really help the coin stand out.

Way to go!!

You're right! They should stop issuing the wasteful notes and people can get used to it! :ninja:

You're right! Best remove it altogether and return your country to the secular one your founding fathers fought for! ;)

Best remove it altogether and return your country to the secular one your founding fathers fought for! :ninja:

Hmm, I think they fought for freedom of religion (among other things), not freedom from religion. That does not really explain though why the US today is such a religious country ...

And while I basically like this new design, I wonder whether the side depicting Sacagawea could be modified a little further. Maybe "In God" on the left and "We Trust" on the right, or so. Also, the two sides should have matching fonts, I think.

Christian

Hmm, I think they fought for freedom of religion (among other things), not freedom from religion. That does not really explain though why the US today is such a religious country ...

From what I understand any US citizen should have freedom of religion, US legislation must also have a secular purpose, atheism aside not all religions have belief in a god, it would therefore appear to me that any reference to a god within the state (including on currency) would fly directly in the face of the First Amendment.

As I say.. I'm no expert so I'd be interested to know if I'm right about this. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like these coins will be available for direct shipment from the US Mint:

http://www.coinnews.net/2008/12/16/native-...p-program-4618/

I just check the US Mint's site and there wasn't a listing yet in their online catalog, but then again these aren't technically suppose to be available yet.

It looks like these coins will be available for direct shipment from the US Mint:

http://www.coinnews.net/2008/12/16/native-...p-program-4618/

I just check the US Mint's site and there wasn't a listing yet in their online catalog, but then again these aren't technically suppose to be available yet.

Speaking of the Mint direct order. Has anyone used this program? I'm wondering how it's working out. I'm very tempted to do a monthly or maybe quarterly order.

Speaking of the Mint direct order. Has anyone used this program? I'm wondering how it's working out. I'm very tempted to do a monthly or maybe quarterly order.

I haven't, but I think it would be a good idea if you could use that many coins. According to the article I attached in my previous post one should have the opportunity to get coins from both the Philadelphia and Denver locations in a single order.

Archived