CoinPeople.com

3 Netherlands Lion Daalders from the Dr. Patrick Tan Collection

hiho

The details on this, especially the lions head on the reverse and the knight's right hand on the obverse, are quite amazing IMHO.....

1698-1200.jpg

I was saving these for the "How Far Back Can We Go" thread but here's a sneak peek.....

A 1638 from Utrecht in super condition.....

1638UT-1200.jpg

And a 1638 from West Friesland with a fierce lion and turnip mintmark for Marianne. :ninja:

1638WF-1200.jpg

I agree lovely design. :ninja:

It is kind of similar to the rampant lion of Scotland.

Or the Bohemian lion...

Anyway, the name of the romanian currency (Leu = Lion) is derivated from these particular Lion Thalers, these coins were largerly circulated in Moldavia and Wallachia during XVII and XVIII centuries. This coin is a "must have" of the every Romanian collector.

I agree lovely design. :ninja:

It is kind of similar to the rampant lion of Scotland.

The West Friesland lion does look extremely Scottish.

Or the Bohemian lion...

Anyway, the name of the romanian currency (Leu = Lion) is derivated from these particular Lion Thalers, these coins were largerly circulated in Moldavia and Wallachia during XVII and XVIII centuries. This coin is a "must have" of the every Romanian collector.

The details on the knights face on your 1616 West Friesland daalder are amazing, what a great strike. The face on my Westy is pretty much just a blob... ;)

Wanna trade? :ninja:

Didn't these circulate pretty much world wide as trade dollars? Most of the ones you see offered for sale are really worn.

A 1608, very nice Marianne.

Yet another daalder with fantastic details on the knight's face.

Why is the turnip mintmark missing? :ninja:

Save that for the "How Far Back Can We Go" thread which is currently frozen in time...

• 3 weeks later...
Jan Knol (aka Jan Turnip) was the only mintmaster to use the turnip mark, from 1715-1741. The mark on your 1638 daalder does resemble a turnip, but... it's actually a fleur de lis. ;)

The things I learn from you.

I still think it's a turnip though. Perhaps a sweet potato? :ninja:

Archived