CoinPeople.com

The most beautiful banknotes

Dave M

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious to see what folks either have in their collection, or just what you feel is *the* most beautiful banknote. Just your one favorite in terms of artistic design. Obviously there isn't going to be just one best among the list, but it might help us all find a few new notes to put on our "most wanted" lists : :ninja:

Here's my offering, France 500fr 1918 by Flameng

f-043-a.jpg

f-043-b.jpg

Dave

When I read the topic of the thread, I thought to myself.."Any of the US 1896 "Education Notes" are the most beautiful, but after just seeing the 500Fr note you posted, I changed my mind. That French note is just amazing.

Is there any reason why the US insists on having butt-ugly currency of ALL sorts? So jealous... I may have to move to some of these places.

It seems the US only cares about "security" and not beauty. I still think a secure note can also have beauty however...(We will never again see anything in the US like the 1896 Education Notes though.)

When I read the topic of the thread, I thought to myself.."Any of the US 1896 "Education Notes" are the most beautiful, but after just seeing the 500Fr note you posted, I changed my mind. That French note is just amazing.

Though when I think of the most beautiful notes, the Education series is definitely on my list of notes I'd love to have. And the engraving work on some of these Danish ladies is gorgeous as well. From my stamp days, I know the name Slania as a top engraver, from some Scandinavian country - did he also do some of these banknotes perhaps?

Dave

Though when I think of the most beautiful notes, the Education series is definitely on my list of notes I'd love to have. And the engraving work on some of these Danish ladies is gorgeous as well. From my stamp days, I know the name Slania as a top engraver, from some Scandinavian country - did he also do some of these banknotes perhaps?

Dave

I have the official Bureau of Engraving ANA convention intaglio prints from the original master plates that were done for the 1896 Education series...they are from the 1971 through 1974 ANA shows. It includes the designed and die made but never released 10 dollar Education note also. They only show the one side of the notes, the most famous sides with the figures on them. They are really well done....I did not pay much for them...I got them some years ago at one of the Florida FUN coin shows. It is a much cheaper way of getting the beautiful designs of the 1896 series notes. As you know great condition actual 1896 notes are very expensive.

Dave

He very well could have....sometimes engravers cross-over into other things also. For example, one of the designers of one of the Franklin Mint Art-Calendar medals from the mid 70s, I forget which one but I have the medal, also did some bank note designs for some countries in South America.

I have the official Bureau of Engraving ANA convention intaglio prints from the original master plates that were done for the 1896 Education series...they are from the 1971 through 1974 ANA shows. It includes the designed and die made but never released 10 dollar Education note also. They only show the one side of the notes, the most famous sides with the figures on them. They are really well done....I did not pay much for them...I got them some years ago at one of the Florida FUN coin shows. It is a much cheaper way of getting the beautiful designs of the 1896 series notes. As you know great condition actual 1896 notes are very expensive.

189610scdtl.jpg

189610sc.jpg

The "wolfman" note!

189610scdtl.jpg

189610sc.jpg

The "wolfman" note!

Yep, that is the one.

I have close to the top close-up image on my 3rd Gen iPOD nano. The color screen on those iPODS are amazing. (It is from a scan that I did of my ANA print, and the ratio of the size to the original is accordance with the US law guidelines for displaying currency, that being less than 3/4 and more than 1 1/2.)

Yuck. That is one of the few US notes I don't like! Maybe its the scan.

Of all the 1896 Education notes, that one, the nerve circulated 10 dollar one is my least favorite.

Now the 5 dollar one, that is a winner. I have heard that some people refused to use the 1896 5 dollar note because of the sexy image on it.

Similarly to why I appreciate and love Danish notes, I appreciate and love Netherlands banknotes - they are also unique in their design and approach. Curiously- while I can image United States currency very easily with my scanner, these 1930's and 1940's printed Dutch notes are quite the challenge, they tend to have unexpected moire patterns show up on images when scanned:

netherlands1001936dtl.jpg

A 17th century Dutch lovely is the subject

netherlands1001936.jpg

The resulting moire issue is probably a security design built into the note deliberately. It probably would not be an issue if one scanned in 2400 dpi mode, but most scanners can not scan in that native resolution. My 2 scanners peak at 1200 dpi.

The resulting moire issue is probably a security design built into the note deliberately. It probably would not be an issue if one scanned in 2400 dpi mode, but most scanners can not scan in that native resolution. My 2 scanners peak at 1200 dpi.

Mine tops out at 4800 dpi, but for most banknotes 300 dpi is just fine. I think it is fascinating that something that is 70+ years old can still thwart imaging techniques though.

• 6 months later...

Archived