CoinPeople.com

Geez, I almost hate to do this

1950_Quarter_SS_10X_.jpgas it was the very last thing I did before the big meltdown, so if it happens again sorry everybody. Dose this look like a S/S, or S/D? This is a 1950 quarter.

Not Real Sure But it Looks like Something Above The S Kind of Looks Like A Part of A Letter

Dose this look like a S/S, or S/D? This is a 1950 quarter.

This appears to be a S/S North northeast. I don't know the exact # at the moment (at work and not near any of my books). But that looks like an RPM and not a OMM. If I can locate it I have a D/S or S/D 1950 quarter that I might be able to shoot and get posted here.

Good luck, and keep searchin',

dacoinman

1950_quarter__60X_.jpg

This appears to be a S/S North northeast. I don't know the exact # at the moment (at work and not near any of my books). But that looks like an RPM and not a OMM. If I can locate it I have a D/S or S/D 1950 quarter that I might be able to shoot and get posted here.

Good luck, and keep searchin',

dacoinman

Thank you, I would appreciate the photo. Here is a 60X pic., I think something is going on with the S, but just not familiar enough with errors/varieties.

1950-S over S breens # 4350 RPM 1 S first punched well above its final position,,

Its possible this is what your coin is , it would show the first S north and under .

The 1950 also has a D over S variety, and S over D variety. these are OMM varieties.

Hope this helps.

Rick

My first guess would be die chatter unless this year and mm is known for it's varieties.

Every year and mintmark are known to have these varieties. Except the 1931-s lincoln cent now that I think about it. LOL (US coins being referenced here again. The number I was refering to was the Coneca #, but breen's isn't too bad, except that he lumped too much into small generalized paragraphs.

Also, it appears that the quarter is either low grade and or it has been cleaned. Which makes the diagnosis that much harder. Your microphotography wouldn't be by a QRX-4 or whatever those intel microscopes are called. LOL The reason I don't like them is that the light is flooded straight onto the coin. If I used one of those to take my pics, I would turn off the scopes light scource and acquire a secondary light scource (such as an adjustable armed lamp or the like). That way you can angle the lamp to emphasize shadows etc. Which would help greatly, IMO.

Still at freakin work. :ninja: LOL

Every year and mintmark are known to have these varieties. Except the 1931-s lincoln cent now that I think about it. LOL (US coins being referenced here again. The number I was refering to was the Coneca #, but breen's isn't too bad, except that he lumped too much into small generalized paragraphs.

Also, it appears that the quarter is either low grade and or it has been cleaned. Which makes the diagnosis that much harder. Your microphotography wouldn't be by a QRX-4 or whatever those intel microscopes are called. LOL The reason I don't like them is that the light is flooded straight onto the coin. If I used one of those to take my pics, I would turn off the scopes light scource and acquire a secondary light scource (such as an adjustable armed lamp or the like). That way you can angle the lamp to emphasize shadows etc. Which would help greatly, IMO.

Still at freakin work. :ninja: LOL

Yes, it is a QX5 toy microscope, and I agree about the lighting. Just haven't bought the alternate light source yet. Was thinking about a fiberoptic light. What do you think?

The quarter is pretty worn. Thanks all for the opinions.

Sorry about not getting on the pics last night. Just last weekend I purchased a collection of over 1400 coins, all either Doubled dies or Repunched Mintmarks. Needless to say I have been sifting through and reorganizing this collection into mine. Still just on the sorting aspect, not even up to the point of documenting what is in my collction yet. LOL

I do have a 1950-D/S That I can take a shot of maybe tonight. I also have the RPM (RePunched Mintmark) that you have. I'll also try and get motivated to take that pic as well. I remember reading the Coneca RPM number on the 2x2 it was in, but I'll be danged if I can remember what it is now. :ninja:

Sorry again about not getting the images taken last night. But I did dig them out to do pics. ;) I get half credit right? Hehe

OK, took me to the week-end and late at night to finally get some pictures taken. Gonna see if I can add multiple attachments, if not, I'll have several posts. LOL

First two pics are of the 1950-S RPM#1 (which is the same as yours). The 3rd & 4th pics are of a 1950-D / S. And finally the last pic is some of the many many many errors/varieties I purchased last week-end. Hope some of you guys find these images helpful and educational. I do want to state though that I do have these copyrighted (mainly because I plan on doing a book or two hopefully). :ninja:

Use these for your own personal use, but don't publish these pics in any form. K? Thanks.

25c_1950s_RPM_1a.JPG25c_1950s_RPM_1b.JPG

25c_1950d_OMM_1a.JPG25c_1950d_OMM_1b.JPG

Clips_various.JPG

OK, took me to the week-end and late at night to finally get some pictures taken. Gonna see if I can add multiple attachments, if not, I'll have several posts. LOL

First two pics are of the 1950-S RPM#1 (which is the same as yours). The 3rd & 4th pics are of a 1950-D / S. And finally the last pic is some of the many many many errors/varieties I purchased last week-end. Hope some of you guys find these images helpful and educational. I do want to state though that I do have these copyrighted (mainly because I plan on doing a book or two hopefully). :ninja:

Use these for your own personal use, but don't publish these pics in any form. K? Thanks.

25c_1950s_RPM_1a.JPG25c_1950s_RPM_1b.JPG

25c_1950d_OMM_1a.JPG25c_1950d_OMM_1b.JPG

Clips_various.JPG

Thank you. great shots. Your RPM#1 is much cleaner than mine. Good luck with the book, and sorting all those coins. Please post more close ups of other errors if you can without compromising the book.

1950DDR__2_.jpgThis is another 1950 quarter that I have. The mint must have had a lot of problems in 1950.

The mint has it's moments. LOL Like in 2004 they said there could never be another Doubled Die the way the coins are now made, yet though a 2004 peace medal Jefferson nickle surfaced with some VERY nice doubling. The mint of course denies such a thing being able to happen.

Nice RPM there. I don't have that one. But then again I only get quarter errors/varieties when I've looked at all the lincoln cents and all the nickles first....and well, I usually don't make it to the quarters at a shop or at a show. LOL Time runs out on me. hahaha

As for lincoln cents, it isn't going to take much to have every single RPM for the entire series. Especially after that huge purchase recently. I don't have an exact listing, but I should when everything is logged etc. Currently I am starting at 1919d and photographing the RPMs only for now. Gonna need a larger memory card for the camera if I am going to photograph the doubled dies and not have to stop every 10 minutes to up load the pics to the machine. LOL And well, I am only 49 coins into the collection......49 coins times 16 shots (two shots of all four directions right side up, upside down, turned to the left and turned to the right, and at 15power and at 45 power). Thus a minimum of 16 shots per coin @1.2megapixels. so far, I could probably take another full mem card worth of pics and fill an entire CD right now. LOL

BEWARE ERROR VARIETY COLLECTING WILL CAUSE INSANITY!!!! LOL