CoinPeople.com

686 Fakes for Sale

RW Julian

A Chinese seller has 686 fakes advertised for sale, of which the following is a sample:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250300629181

It is of course marked as a replica and we can all be “certain” that none of these pieces

will ever be sold without the marking.

Most of the fakes are U.S. oriented, especially Morgan dollars. It is not a good sign for the

future, however.

One has to wonder, however, which of the entities here is the most dishonest – eBay for

knowingly allowing fakes to be sold or the sellers.

RWJ

A Chinese seller has 686 fakes advertised for sale, of which the following is a sample:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250300629181

It is of course marked as a replica and we can all be “certain” that none of these pieces

will ever be sold without the marking.

Most of the fakes are U.S. oriented, especially Morgan dollars. It is not a good sign for the

future, however.

One has to wonder, however, which of the entities here is the most dishonest – eBay for

knowingly allowing fakes to be sold or the sellers.

RWJ

That is one heck of a Replica! Thank you for bringing our attention to these things.

• 2 weeks later...
Now there's a whole range of Nicholas II poltinas: 1903, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912

IMHO portrait side looks cast - grainy surface.

Right. Makes you wonder what material they used ... marzipan, perhaps? :ninja:

The 1903 would be a dead giveaway because these were only struck in proof.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another replica listing by this same seller:

Morgan Dollar replicas

Take a close look at the larger images ... doesn't it look like the word "REPLICA" has been photoshopped into the picture? Hmmm ...

Here's another one, this time a USA three cent silver replica:

USA 3 cents 1868 silver

On this one, the "REPLICA" appears to have been stamped heavily into the reverse side ... however, these things (the originals, at least) are TINY, weighing only 0.8 grams and measuring 14mm in diameter. They are quite easily bent, so I'm wondering if the obverse picture was taken before the stamp or perhaps it is a different coin altogether? It seems highly unlikely that such a stamp could have been made without impairing the other side as well.

I think I will buy one of the 50 kopek replicas just to see what I get. At least that way I can weigh it. Also, I have downloaded the larger images from the 50 kopek replica auctions so as to compare them with authentic ones.

These are very high quality repros, probably close in weight to the originals. I bet this is the trial run to be followed by those which are not stamped. It will be mayhem if they hit the market :ninja:

These are very high quality repros, probably close in weight to the originals. I bet this is the trial run to be followed by those which are not stamped. It will be mayhem if they hit the market :ninja:

After examining the pictures more closely, I think it will be an obvious fake when holding the coin in hand. The surfaces are just too grainy. What is dangerous is that the pictures do not really show this too well.

But I won't know for sure until I have one.

After examining the pictures more closely, I think it will be an obvious fake when holding the coin in hand. The surfaces are just too grainy. What is dangerous is that the pictures do not really show this too well.

But I won't know for sure until I have one.

Once you are holding it, it is a bit late. If the photos are doctored-up, they will be impossible to tell from the real coins. Imagine, Chinese sellers find a venue to send a mountain of these to Germany and then someone in Germany lists them. It will be a pandemonium.

Once you are holding it, it is a bit late. If the photos are doctored-up, they will be impossible to tell from the real coins.

That is precisely why I want to buy one of these fakes! There will usually be something they missed, so it would still be possible to ascertain whether the photo was taken from a real coin or not.

He sure is chugging out those morgan dollars...:ninja: I thought of buying one of the fakes that might be in my list like the few German and netherlands, french, etc... but decided not to as I dont want to give the guy a penny (to copy). He is, without doubt, selling coin without the replica...this is why I dont like replicas ;)

He sure is chugging out those morgan dollars...;) I thought of buying one of the fakes that might be in my list like the few German and netherlands, french, etc... but decided not to as I dont want to give the guy a penny (to copy). He is, without doubt, selling coin without the replica...this is why I dont like replicas ;)

As a rule of thumb I refuse to patronize Chinese counterfeiters. They are ruining my favorite hobby! :ninja:

Archived