CoinPeople.com

Dumb ?

RW Julian

You assume the buyer can read English, or knows how to use a page translator. For some of these bidders, I doubt this is the case, and they don't bother to look beyond the title and picture. When you list a coin on eBay, you are making a statement that to the best of your knowledge it is an authentic coin. Putting language in the description like "looks fake" or "may be a copy" or something to that effect does not absolve you of responsibility, in my opinion. If you have ANY doubt about authenticity, you should not be listing the coin.

Looks like most bidders are fairly new (low ratings). And this has been part of the problem for the last few years. Lots of new exited collectors/investors who start by spending a lot of money on what looks shiny and expensive. Most of russian coin forums are now flooded by questions - "How much does this coin cost?", unfortunately many times they get to hear "Nothing, it's fake".

You assume the buyer can read English, or knows how to use a page translator. For some of these bidders, I doubt this is the case, and they don't bother to look beyond the title and picture. When you list a coin on eBay, you are making a statement that to the best of your knowledge it is an authentic coin. Putting language in the description like "looks fake" or "may be a copy" or something to that effect does not absolve you of responsibility, in my opinion. If you have ANY doubt about authenticity, you should not be listing the coin.

The word “fake” is fairly well known, even among those who do not read English. However,

the buyer should have been aware that something was wrong when the piece is wrongly

described as a silver coin. In addition someone willing to spend $760 ought to do his

homework properly.

There is no doubt in my mind that the seller knows this to be a fake and is hoping that no

one reads his comments very carefully.

It is going to an expensive lesson for someone.

RWJ

Someone who ought to know better has bid $760 on this well-known fake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290255956967

The seller plainly says that the piece "Looks fake" yet the bidder ignored this

warning.

RWJ

There might be some shill bidding going on here. Once more than 10 bids are in, it is tempting to believe that the item is genuine ... after all, there are so many others bidding on it!

The word “fake” is fairly well known, even among those who do not read English. However,

the buyer should have been aware that something was wrong when the piece is wrongly

described as a silver coin. In addition someone willing to spend $760 ought to do his

homework properly.

There is no doubt in my mind that the seller knows this to be a fake and is hoping that no

one reads his comments very carefully.

It is going to an expensive lesson for someone.

RWJ

Not necessarily. The seller does accept returns, and there is the possibility of a Paypal charge back. To be sure, buyer ignorance and greed has a lot to do with this, but an ethical seller would have pulled the listing long ago.

$2,850.00.... OUCH! That's a painful hit in the pocket :ninja:

It is the original item back up for sale.

It says 'BACK FOR SALE" the original buyer must have wisely backed out of the transaction. Are you going to bid on it this time Foxy?

I emailed the winner and told him not to pay for it, and that there was a discussion about this coin here on coinpeople.com. I guess he took my advice. Looks like the seller on the relist decided to keep the bidder names private... hmmm.

Looks like someone else won this bogus coin. The finishing bid $1,025.00. :ninja:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...52BSI%26otn%3D2

Seriously...are people really willing to take that much of a risk with their money? If that is the case I have a bucket of hens teeth for you.

Archived