CoinPeople.com

Medieval Coins

DJB

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice ones 'ScottO'. Here's one that I got in the mail yesterday. This is a silver 5-Line Dinar from the SERBIAN EMPIRE dating from 1346-1355 AD under the reign of Tsar: Stefan Uros IV~Dusan. This is a rare early imperial issue that was an imitation of Byzantine style coinage. The Cyrillic legend reads: 'STEFAN IN CHRIST OUR LORD PIOUS TSAR'.

SerbianEmpire5LineDinar1346-1355AD.jpg

SERBIAN EMPIRE~5 Line Dinar 1346-1355 AD

A copper dirham of Nasir al-Din Artuk Arslan, atabeg of Mardin (1200-39 AD), minted at Mardin in 620AH (that is, 1223 AD) The obverse is the bust of the Roman Emperor Claudius. The reverse of the coin cites Ayyubid al-Kamil (1218-38) and caliph al-Nasir (1180-1225). Referenced in Stephen Album's Checklist of Islamic as A#1830.7, with a rarity rating of scarce.

911865.jpg

Nice specimens folks. I'm very glad I started this thread. So many interesting coins, some of which I have never seen before. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel

SizKFAra.jpg

Crusader States, Normans of Sicily, Kingdom of Sicily - Hautevilles, Roger II, king of Sicily 1130 - 1154 AD., Messina mint, struck AH 533 / 1138 - 1139 AD.,

Follaro (14-16 mm / 1,59 g),

Obv.: IC - XC , bust of Christ facing,

Rev.: Arabic legends saying: "PER ORDINE DE RE RUGGERO IL MAGNIFICO FORTE DELL'AIUTO DO DIO" and date AH 533,

Biaggi 1219 ; MEC14: 197 ; Spahr 62

Christ plus Arab date - thats integration and tolerance!

rgds.

log2.gif

1350-1364 France

Lamb Of God ION REX, rare variation.

The coinage of Philip IV of France (1268-1314, also known as "Philippe le Bel") marks the first mass diffusion of gold coinage in the Kingdom of France (before him, only his grandfather Saint Louis had minted a few gold coins, the "Ecu"). Philip however had to resort extensively to monetary devaluations and reevaluations in order to finance his royal budget as well as his war efforts. Philip IV has been nicknamed "Le Faux Monnayeur" ("The Counterfeiter"), and had to face numerous popular unrests due to his tampering of coin titles and values.

241-682922-O.jpg241-682922-R.jpg

1422-1453 British occupied France Salut d'Or Gold

Salut d'Or Gold PCGS MS64 (27 mm)

A remarkable Choice Uncirculated specimen. Deeply impressed on both sides with full Strike, and rich luster. No HIGHER Graded at PCGS or NGC. The only other specimen graded at PCGS is graded MS63. Labeled France (Fr.301), this 15th century gold piece is considered Anglo Gallic coinage. Minted in Rouen, capital of Normandy in northern France while under the rule of Britain's King Henry VI. (Joan of Arc was burned at the stake here.) The obverse is a depiction of the annunciation of Christ, showing the Madonna receiving a parchment from the archangel Gabriel, over arms of France and England. Reverse depicts a Latin cross with fleur-de-lis and leopard. An exquisite and superb piece of history.

• 2 months later...
log2.gif

1350-1364 France

Lamb Of God ION REX, rare variation.

The coinage of Philip IV of France (1268-1314, also known as "Philippe le Bel") marks the first mass diffusion of gold coinage in the Kingdom of France (before him, only his grandfather Saint Louis had minted a few gold coins, the "Ecu"). Philip however had to resort extensively to monetary devaluations and reevaluations in order to finance his royal budget as well as his war efforts. Philip IV has been nicknamed "Le Faux Monnayeur" ("The Counterfeiter"), and had to face numerous popular unrests due to his tampering of coin titles and values.

241-682922-O.jpg241-682922-R.jpg

1422-1453 British occupied France Salut d'Or Gold

Salut d'Or Gold PCGS MS64 (27 mm)

A remarkable Choice Uncirculated specimen. Deeply impressed on both sides with full Strike, and rich luster. No HIGHER Graded at PCGS or NGC. The only other specimen graded at PCGS is graded MS63. Labeled France (Fr.301), this 15th century gold piece is considered Anglo Gallic coinage. Minted in Rouen, capital of Normandy in northern France while under the rule of Britain's King Henry VI. (Joan of Arc was burned at the stake here.) The obverse is a depiction of the annunciation of Christ, showing the Madonna receiving a parchment from the archangel Gabriel, over arms of France and England. Reverse depicts a Latin cross with fleur-de-lis and leopard. An exquisite and superb piece of history.

NICE! :ninja: These are excellent specimens. Thanks for sharing. Here's another one I just received. This is a silver Crest Dinar from the DESPOTATE OF SERBIA dating from 1402-1427 AD issued during the reign of Despot: Stefan Lazarevic Hrebeljanovic. The obverse show the Hrebeljanovic family crest: Ox-horned helm mounted on shield with eagle and the leaders title in Cyrillic: 'ДЕС/ПУТЬ=DES/POUT'. The reverse shows Christ in glory standing w/ initials: IC/XC.

SerbiaDespotateARCrestDinar1402-142.jpg

SERBIA (DESPOTATE)~AR Crest Dinar 1402-1427 AD

• 1 month later...

Here's a nice specimen I picked up a short time ago. This is a silver Penny from IRELAND dating from 1199-1216 AD. It was issued under the reign of King: John of England. These are very difficult to find, especially in higher grade.

IrelandARPenny1199-1216AD.jpg

IRELAND~AR Penny 1199-1216 AD

Here's a nice specimen I picked up a short time ago. This is a silver Penny from IRELAND dating from 1199-1216 AD. It was issued under the reign of King: John of England. These are very difficult to find, especially in higher grade.

IrelandARPenny1199-1216AD.jpg

IRELAND~AR Penny 1199-1216 AD

I am impressed! A nice acquisition, I do like these issues.

Here's one of my Irish examples, this time of Henry III. One of the best ones I've ever come across.

27929Irish1.jpg

29050Irish2.jpg

• 8 months later...

I try to reanimate this thread with some French `esprit´:

GroTour1.jpg

France, Philippe IV `le Bel´ (1285-1314), unnown mint, stuck during the first period 1285-1290 AD.,

Gros Tournois / = 12 Deniers tournois (25-26 mm / 3,99 g), gros tournois à l'O rond,

Obv.: + PhILIPPVS REX / + BHDICTV: SIT: HOMЄ: DHI: nRI: DЄI: IhV XPI , in two circles around cross - Croix, légende extérieure.

Rev.: + TVRON\'/S CIVIS , around castle: value mark 12 lis in outer circle - Châtel tournois, bordure de douze lis.

Duplessy, tome I, page 84 et N° 213 (page 90, éditions 1988) ; Ciani 201 ; Lafaurie 217 .

:art:

I try to reanimate this thread with some French `esprit´:

GroTour1.jpg

France, Philippe IV `le Bel´ (1285-1314), unnown mint, stuck during the first period 1285-1290 AD.,

Gros Tournois / = 12 Deniers tournois (25-26 mm / 3,99 g), gros tournois à l'O rond,

Obv.: + PhILIPPVS REX / + BHDICTV: SIT: HOMЄ: DHI: nRI: DЄI: IhV XPI , in two circles around cross - Croix, légende extérieure.

Rev.: + TVRON\'/S CIVIS , around castle: value mark 12 lis in outer circle - Châtel tournois, bordure de douze lis.

Duplessy, tome I, page 84 et N° 213 (page 90, éditions 1988) ; Ciani 201 ; Lafaurie 217 .

:art:

Nice reanimating 'Arminius' :grin:. That's quite a beauty you got there. Thanks for sharing. Here are a couple of my own. The first is a silver Helm Dinar from the KINGDOM OF SERBIA dating from 1331-1346 AD. Issued under King: Stefan Uros IV~Dusan. The second is a short-cross Penny from ENGLAND dating from 1016-1035 AD. This was Anglo-Saxon coinage issued under Viking King: Cnut (Canute)~The Great. Mint: York.

Serbia1stKingdomARHelmDinar1331-1346AD.jpg

SERBIA (1st KINGDOM)~AR Helm Dinar 1331-1346 AD

EnglandARShortCrossPenny1016-1035AD.jpg

ENGLAND~AR Short-Cross Penny 1016-1035 AD

• 1 month later...

Well, Chinese coins are cast, exotic but also a matter of taste.

I prefere the hammered ones, even if they are incomplete, small and dirty as this one:

Manfredi.jpg

Kingdom of Sicily (Regno Sicilia), Manfredi, Messina mint, 1258-1266 AD.,

Æ Denaro (14-16 mm / 0,71 g),

Obv.: .+. SICLIЄ , cross pattée with a pellet at end of each serif. - croce patente con due globetti ad ogni estremità.

Rev.: .+. AyNFR’RЄX (NF ligatured) / M , legend in a circle around gothic M - nel campo M gotica.

Travaini 72 var. (rev. legend) ; Spahr 204 var. (same) ; MEC 14, 611 ; cf. Biaggi 1111 .

Manfred (1232, Venosa – 26 February 1266) was the King of Sicily from 1258 to 1266. He was a natural son of the emperor Frederick II of Hohenstaufen, Bianca Lancia (or Lanzia) his mother.

Charles the Count of Anjou defeats Manfred at the battle of Benevento on February 26, 1266 End of Hohenstaufen dynasty.

regards

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some coins from my collection posted on OmniCoin. Mostly early Russian wires.

Kingdom of Georgia circa 1187, Copper Tamar. Rev. inscription - The Great Queen, glory of the world and faith, Tamar, the daughter of Giorgi, champion of the Messiah

978805.jpg

AR Denga of independent city of Novgorod, circa 1400's:

986076.jpg

AR Denga of the city of Kolomna, circa 1400's:

950456.jpg

AR Denga of the independent Pskov featuring Prince Dovmont - patron saint of Pskov. Circa 1460.

989629.jpg

Ivan Andreevich, AR denga of Mozhaisk circa 1430's:

947064.jpg

AR Denga with Ryazan'tamga on something - maybe a jujid dirhem? Weight 1.16g. Circa 1400's.

947039.jpg

Tver AR Denga of duke Ivan Michailovich (pre 1425)

956549.jpg

Moscow AR Denga of Vasily II Vasiliyevich the Blind (1426-1462). 0.41 g

974646.jpg

Never saw one type of these early Russian wire moneys before.

My earliest Russians so far are from Ivan `The Terrible´:

AgKopek08.jpg

Russia, wire money, Ivan IV. Vasilyevich (`The Terrible´), as Grand Prince of Moscow (1533-1547), no date, struck 1533-1547 AD.,

half Denga (10-11 mm / 0,34 g),

Obv.: Grand Prince on horseback with sabre riding right.

Rev.: IBɒH / BЄΛÏKI / KHSЧ (Ivan Velik i Knjaz - Ivan grand and Prince) , three lines text, retrograde; beneath, titla (abbreviation mark).

ref.: Kaim 1026 .

:)

Never saw one type of these early Russian wire moneys before.

My earliest Russians so far are from Ivan `The Terrible´:

Russia, wire money, Ivan IV. Vasilyevich (`The Terrible´), as Grand Prince of Moscow (1533-1547), no date, struck 1533-1547 AD.,

half Denga (10-11 mm / 0,34 g),

Obv.: Grand Prince on horseback with sabre riding right.

Rev.: IBɒH / BЄΛÏKI / KHSЧ (Ivan Velik i Knjaz - Ivan grand and Prince) , three lines text, retrograde; beneath, titla (abbreviation mark).

ref.: Kaim 1026 .

:)

A very beautiful example! An excellent strike.:bthumbsup: ...BTW the reverse is upside down.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple more coins that I have aquired:

SlavoniaARGroschen1280-1282AD.jpg

Slavonia- AR Groschen 1280-1282 AD?- Under the reign of Ban: Stjepan Babonic?

Excuse me ... This is my personal opinion ...

but your Slavonski Hungarian denarius - a modern fake (((.

In order not to tempt the counterfeiters, will not disclose the number of nuances that give a fake. But I can say confidently that the style of performance animal, portraits and letters of legend are not authentic ... Unfortunately (((

I want to share a picture of a coin, considered the most beautiful coins of the Middle Ages! Perfect embodiment of Gothic aesthetics, expression and style. Prague grosh, one of the most popular coins in the Central and Eastern Europe in 14-15 centuries. This coin was minted in Kutna Hora in the years 1300-1305, during the reign of King Wenceslaus II of Bohemia and Poland. The design of the coin operated Italian minsmeystery, who invited along with the Apennine bankers by the King-reformer. I would also like to note the excellent composition, harmony and proportionality of the font and other details.PG.jpg

Archived