CoinPeople.com

Medieval Coins

DJB

And here is another of cristoph's coins:

cristoph___Ayyubid___al_Zahir.JPG

It's a fals of the Ayyubid dynasty in the Egypt/Syria region. This type was minted at Aleppo in Syria in the name of Ayyubid ruler al-Zahir (1186-1216) and caliph al-Nasir (1180-1225). Mitchiner# 842-843. Zahir was a son of Saladin, the great military leader who defeated the Crusaders.

It's from a lot of 52 coins I have bought from France. I have try to identify them on zeno.ru, but all the arabic legend coins for me are the same. I have keep 25 for me and the rest I have sold today for 150 lei ( 50 USD ) on romanian action site.

Vincent can you help me to indentify some of the coins I have keep for my personal collection?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beautiful coins 'cristoph'. Moldavia and Wallachia have some very interesting coins as well as the history behind them and their nations. It seem for me that finding coins from medieval Moldavia is more difficult than from Wallachia. Thanks for sharing.

If you make a comparation with Bulgaria or Serbia, is corectly that Romanian coins are more expensive and more difficult to find. I have start my collection for short time and I have bought Wallachian coins because those was cheaper then the Moldavian. You can find on the market coins of Wallachia ( Dan I, Radu I and Mircea the Elder ), those are not to expensive and find some for sale on ebay and for Moldavia ( Alexandru the Good 1400-1432 and Stefan the Great 1457-15004). The others rulers for Moldavia and Wallachia are more rare and expensive.

If you are intrested for coins from Wallachia and Moldavia please check this website: http://romaniancoins.ancients.info/

It's from a lot of 52 coins I have bought from France. I have try to identify them on zeno.ru, but all the arabic legend coins for me are the same. I have keep 25 for me and the rest I have sold today for 150 lei ( 50 USD ) on romanian action site.

Vincent can you help me to indentify some of the coins I have keep for my personal collection?

Yes, go to this thread and let me know which coins you need to identify. I suspect in many cases it's going to be difficult to get any closer than to identify the dynasty, though.

• 2 weeks later...
If you make a comparation with Bulgaria or Serbia, is corectly that Romanian coins are more expensive and more difficult to find. I have start my collection for short time and I have bought Wallachian coins because those was cheaper then the Moldavian. You can find on the market coins of Wallachia ( Dan I, Radu I and Mircea the Elder ), those are not to expensive and find some for sale on ebay and for Moldavia ( Alexandru the Good 1400-1432 and Stefan the Great 1457-15004). The others rulers for Moldavia and Wallachia are more rare and expensive.

If you are intrested for coins from Wallachia and Moldavia please check this website: http://romaniancoins.ancients.info/

Thanks for the link 'cristoph'. I've actually been to this website before. It's an awesome site, and one of the most in depth for Romanian coins.

Here is a new specimen that I picked up. It's a silver 1/2 Groschen from Thorun/Torun Poland 1447-1492 AD. It has a bit of a rough surface, but it's still an interesting coin, and one of the rarer civic issues.

TorunMunicipal1-2Groschen1447-1492A.jpg

THORUN/TORUN (MUNICIPAL)~1/2 Groschen 1447-1492 AD

BohemiaPGroschen1278-1305.jpg

BOHEMIA (KINGDOM)~AR Groschen 1278-1305 AD

This Bohemian Groschen was issued under the reign of King Wenceslas II. The strike is better than average.

I love the rampant lion on this one. Incredible details. Reminds me a lot of a Dutch Daalder.

Great thread!

I love the rampant lion on this one. Incredible details. Reminds me a lot of a Dutch Daalder.

Great thread!

Thanks 'hiho'. This was indeed a surprisingly well struck coin. These usually have a very weak pattern on the coins either due to worn dies or uneven flans. I like the rampant lion too as it is very well depicted on this coin. Here is another specimen with a rather nice lion pattern on it. This is a silver Aspra from the Despotate of Serbia issued during the rule of Despot: Djuradj Brankovic 1427-1456 AD. The lion was the Brankovic family symbol.

SerbiaDespotateARAspra1427-1456AD.jpg

SERBIA (DESPOTATE)~AR Aspra 1427-1456 AD

Talking of medieval coins, may I suggest you visit my blog, dedicated to Dombes coinage. The yellow banner below is a clickable link to it.

Here is the english summary I wrote for non-french speakers/readers : "La Dombes" is a region of France situated between Lyon, Villefranche sur Saone and Bourg en Bresse, which has been ruled by princes under the authority of the kings of France during the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries, with allowance of minting their own currency.

Their coins were merely copied from the french royal coins, just changing the names and symbols, so that people (most of them couldn't read at this time) would take them as equal to french coins. They were legal tender in the whole kingdom. My interest in that coinage comes from me living a few kilometers from the border of that region. When I started collecting them, 10 years or so ago, there was no recent reference book about them, the last one had been edited in the 19th century. Since then Mr Jean Paul DIVO, the famous swiss numismatist, has writen a very useful book about Dombes coinage, that gives a much better view of the relative rarity of these coins, some of them being very rare.

The purpose here is to "show off" my collection to those interested in seeing it, with description and references of the specimens.

Here is an example of what they look like :

dyu73o.jpg

Q

Magnifique votre site! What a terrific idea for a collection. Welcome to Coin People!

Nice specimen 'Qcumbor', thanks for sharing. Here is one that arrived yesterday. This is a billon Denier from the Despotate of Epirus 1294-1313 AD. It was issued during the rule of Despot: Philip de Taranto. This was a Frankish coin issued in the territory that is now northwestern Greece and Albania.

EpirusDespotateBillonDenier1294-131.jpg

EPIRUS (DESPOTATE)~Billon Denier 1294-1313 AD

Magnifique votre site! What a terrific idea for a collection. Welcome to Coin People!

Nice specimen 'Qcumbor', thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys for being appreciative. It's been a long time and hard job (and quite a lot of money) to put all this together

Q

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a new specimen that got early this week. This is a silver Aspra from the DESPOTATE OF SERBIA, issued during the rule of Despot: Djuradj Brankovic (1427-1456 AD). Djuradj, son of disgraced Nobleman: Vuk Brankovic, was the first in the family to achieve royal status, and among the last rulers of medieval Serbia. Measuring only 11 mm in diameter, the specimen bears stylized Cyrillic intials on both sides. The obverse show Djuradj's monogram with lillies and stars on the rim. The reverse shows the title 'Despot in monogram form with lillies and stars along the rim.

SerbiaDespotateARAsprar1427-1456AD.jpg

SERBIA (DESPOTATE)~AR Aspra 1427-1456 AD

Levon2Tr.jpg

Armenians of Cilicia, Royal Period, Levon II., Sis mint, 1270-1289 AD.,

Tram (21-22 mm / 1,95 g),

Obv.: +ԼԵՒՈՆ ԹԱԳԱՒՈՐ ՀԱՅՍ , Levon Tagawor Hayots ("Levon King of Armenians" in Armenian letters) , King on horseback riding right; left hand holding reins, right hand holding sceptre; two dots in fields above.

Rev.: +ՇԻՆԵԱԼ Ի ՔԱՂԱՔՆ Ի ՍԻՍ , Shineal i kaghakn i Sis ("Struck in the city of Sis" in Armenian letters), Lion facing, walking right, patriarchal cross behind.

Leo II of Armenia, (Armenian: Levon II) known as "The Magnificent" (1150 – May 5, 1219) was king of the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia, ruling from 1187–1219.

Leo became "Lord of the Mountains" (ruler of Cilician Armenia) in 1187, his brother Ruben III of Armenia resigning the crown to him shortly before his death. He was initially the 'Regent and Tutor' for his nieces, Alice and Philippa, but later he set them aside and had himself crowned on January 6, 1199.

He married Isabelle of Austria in 1189; she bore him one daughter, Stephanie, who later married John of Brienne. With the onset of the Third Crusade, he opened negotiations with Frederick Barbarossa to receive the title of King of Armenia, but Frederick's drowning at the Saleph River in Cilicia forestalled the plan. This represented a significant shift in Armenian policy, which had traditionally looked towards the Byzantine empire for authority.

Levon2Tr.jpg

Armenians of Cilicia, Royal Period, Levon II., Sis mint, 1270-1289 AD.,

Tram (21-22 mm / 1,95 g),

Obv.: +ԼԵՒՈՆ ԹԱԳԱՒՈՐ ՀԱՅՍ , Levon Tagawor Hayots ("Levon King of Armenians" in Armenian letters) , King on horseback riding right; left hand holding reins, right hand holding sceptre; two dots in fields above.

Rev.: +ՇԻՆԵԱԼ Ի ՔԱՂԱՔՆ Ի ՍԻՍ , Shineal i kaghakn i Sis ("Struck in the city of Sis" in Armenian letters), Lion facing, walking right, patriarchal cross behind.

Leo II of Armenia, (Armenian: Levon II) known as "The Magnificent" (1150 – May 5, 1219) was king of the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia, ruling from 1187–1219.

Leo became "Lord of the Mountains" (ruler of Cilician Armenia) in 1187, his brother Ruben III of Armenia resigning the crown to him shortly before his death. He was initially the 'Regent and Tutor' for his nieces, Alice and Philippa, but later he set them aside and had himself crowned on January 6, 1199.

He married Isabelle of Austria in 1189; she bore him one daughter, Stephanie, who later married John of Brienne. With the onset of the Third Crusade, he opened negotiations with Frederick Barbarossa to receive the title of King of Armenia, but Frederick's drowning at the Saleph River in Cilicia forestalled the plan. This represented a significant shift in Armenian policy, which had traditionally looked towards the Byzantine empire for authority.

Thanks for posting this 'Arminius' . Cilician Armenian coins are beautiful and interesting coins. I have a few silver coins from the Kingdom of Armenia with some very nice patterns. I've been searching for Baronial coins (1080-1198 AD), but no luck. The ones I have seen online usually go for three digits in average grade. Still, I keep looking hoping fate will throw me a bone.

1380-1422 Charles VI French ECU'OR

23w45fb.jpg

France Ecu D'or au Dauphine Francois I 1e (1515-1547)

2jg8h0h.jpg

Technically probably just outside the medieval period but its one of my favourite coins:

Scotland

10riqgm.jpg

NICE! :ninja: These are spectacular specimens. You even captured the toning perfectly. Thanks for sharing these.

Here is my latest aquisition. This is a silver Grosso from the REPUBLIC OF RAGUSA (now Dubrovnik, Croatia) 1372-1383 AD. This was one of the earliest coins issued since the republic's establishment in 1358.

RagusaRepublicARGrosso1372-1383AD.jpg

RAGUSA (REPUBLIC)~AR Grosso 1372-1383 AD

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Bill,

"Note the faint V shape in the center. It forms an A inside the O, so it reads KARLOS (some also read the A as a V to spell KARLOUS)."

May I suggest a reading with the letters in a different order: KAROLUS?

Best regards,

Alan

Most certainly. Welcome to CoinPeople.

Here is my latest addition. This is a silver Dinar from the KINGDOM OF SERBIA. It was issued during the reign of King: Stefan Uros III~Decanski dating from 1321-1331 AD.

SerbiaKingdomARDinar1321-1331AD.jpg

SERBIA (KINGDOM)~AR Dinar 1321-1331 AD

ArEspa.jpg

Umayyads of Spain, Emirs of al-Andalus, 'Abd al-Rahman II (206-238 H. / 821-852 AD.), al-Andalus, AH 231 / 845 AD.,

AR Dirham (24-26 mm / 2,17 g),

Obv.: لا اله الا / الله وحده / لا اله الا // و مئتين بسم الله ضرب هذا الدرهم بالاندلس سنة ثلثين ,

( three lines central legend:) There is no diety except / (the one) God alone / He has no equal // (marginal legend between dotted lines:) In the name of God. This Dirham was struck in al-Andalus in the year thirty and two hundred 231AH

Rev.: الله احد الله / الصمد لم يلد و / لم يولد و لم يكن / له كفوا احد // محمد رسول الله ارسله بالهدى و دين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون ,

( four lines central legend:) God is One God / The eternal and indivisible, who has not begotten, and / has not been begotten and never is there / His equal // (marginal legend between dotted lines:) Muhammad is the messenger of God. He sent him with guidance and the true religion to reveal it to all religions even if the polytheists abhor it.

Vives 198 (A. Vives y Escudero, Monedas de las dinastías Arábigo-Españolas, Madrid, 1893) ; Miles 123a (G. C. Miles, The Coinage of the Umayyads of Spain, vol. 1, New York, 1950) ; Album 342 .

(double strike)

:ninja:

• 1 month later...

Here is a coin I received today in the mail. This is silver Denar from the GRAND DUCHY OF LITHUANIA dating from 1392-1430 AD. This was issued under the reign of Grand Duke: Vytautas Didysis~The Great.

LithuaniaGrandDuchyARDenar1392-1430.jpg

LITHUANIA (GRAND DUCHY)~AR Denar 1392-1430 AD

Archived