CoinPeople.com

Medieval Coins

DJB

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are few more medieval pieces I just aquired recently.

1.) Khanate of Krim (Crimea)- AR Akce 867 AH/ 1462 AD. Under the reign of Khan: Hajji Giray I 1420-1466 AD~ Founder of the Giray Dynasty

Krim (Crimea) Link: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=962533

2.) Khanate of Krim (Crimea)- AR Akce 871-920 AH/ 1466-1514 AD. Under the reign of Khan: Mengli Giray I

Krim (Crimea) Link: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=962534

3.) Kingdom of Georgia- AE Follis 420 (Koronikon Calender)/ 1200 AD. Under the reign of Queen: Tamara & King: David 1184-1231 AD.

Georgia Link: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=962142

My personal favourite Anglish booty from a raid south o' the borders:

englands1502.jpg

England, Edward III(1327-1377) gold Noble S-1502.

:ninja:

Are you ever going to sell that to me? ;)

My personal favourite Anglish booty from a raid south o' the borders:

englands1502.jpg

England, Edward III(1327-1377) gold Noble S-1502.

Sweet! I'm with 'YeOldeCollector', this has got me drooling too. I especially love how you captured the toning on this. Thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple more coins that I have aquired:

SerbianEmpireARDinar1371-1389AD.jpg

Serbian Empire- AR Dinar 1371-1389 AD. Under the reign of Knez/Prince: Lazar Hrebeljanovic.

SlavoniaARGroschen1280-1282AD.jpg

Slavonia- AR Groschen 1280-1282 AD?- Under the reign of Ban: Stjepan Babonic?

Here are a couple more coins that I have aquired:

1.) Serbian Empire- AR Dinar 1371-1389 AD. Under the reign of Knez/Prince: Lazar Hrebeljanovic.

Link: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=963575

2.) Slavonia- AR Groschen 1280-1282 AD?- Under the reign of Ban: Stjepan Babonic?

Link: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=963606

both beautiful coins, i like th serbian dinar vry much.

both beautiful coins, i like th serbian dinar vry much.

Thanks 'bruce'. Alot of coins from medieval Serbia and Bosnia are very nice, especially ones issued under Stefan Lazarevic (both as a Prince and Despot), and Despot: Djuradj Brankovic. These are among the most interesting and unique from this area. The problem is trying to find them.

Hello!

Well, medieval coins are absolutely not my focus, but i grab them if i can expect an interesting, cheap and lucky find - like this one:

CrB2He.jpg

Heinrich (Henry) III., as German Emperor, 1046-1056 AD., royal Goslar mint in Saxony,

AR Pfennig (Penny) (17 mm / 1,16 g),

Obv.: crowned bust of Heinrich facing.

Rev.: busts of the two saints Simon and Judas facing.

Dannenberg 668 ; Slg. Bonhoff 299 ; Cappe Tf. 1/1 ; Kluge, Salier 121/123 .

Henry III. (29 October 1017 – 5 October 1056), called the Black or the Pious, was a member of the Salian Dynasty of Holy Roman Emperors. He was the eldest son of Conrad II of Germany and Gisela of Swabia and his father made him duke of Bavaria (as Henry VI) in 1026, after the death of Duke Henry V. Then, on Easter Day 1028, his father having been crowned Holy Roman Emperor, Henry was elected and crowned King of Germany in the cathedral of Aachen by Pilgrim, Archbishop of Cologne. After the death of Herman IV, Duke of Swabia in 1038, his father gave him that duchy (as Henry I) as well as the kingdom of Burgundy, which Conrad had inherited in 1033. Upon the death of his father on June 4, 1039, he became sole ruler of the kingdom and was crowned emperor by Pope Clement II in Rome (1046).

regards

Hello!

Well, medieval coins are absolutely not my focus, but i grab them if i can expect an interesting, cheap and lucky find - like this one:

CrB2He.jpg

Heinrich (Henry) III., as German Emperor, 1046-1056 AD., royal Goslar mint in Saxony,

AR Pfennig (Penny) (17 mm / 1,16 g),

Obv.: crowned bust of Heinrich facing.

Rev.: busts of the two saints Simon and Judas facing.

Dannenberg 668 ; Slg. Bonhoff 299 ; Cappe Tf. 1/1 ; Kluge, Salier 121/123 .

Henry III. (29 October 1017 – 5 October 1056), called the Black or the Pious, was a member of the Salian Dynasty of Holy Roman Emperors. He was the eldest son of Conrad II of Germany and Gisela of Swabia and his father made him duke of Bavaria (as Henry VI) in 1026, after the death of Duke Henry V. Then, on Easter Day 1028, his father having been crowned Holy Roman Emperor, Henry was elected and crowned King of Germany in the cathedral of Aachen by Pilgrim, Archbishop of Cologne. After the death of Herman IV, Duke of Swabia in 1038, his father gave him that duchy (as Henry I) as well as the kingdom of Burgundy, which Conrad had inherited in 1033. Upon the death of his father on June 4, 1039, he became sole ruler of the kingdom and was crowned emperor by Pope Clement II in Rome (1046).

regards

Interesting piece. While this a bit more simple in design, it does seem to follow the same trend as coins used in Venice and the Byzantine Empire. Thanks for sharing.

just this one, my other 2 hammereds are after 1550

962357.jpg

nice detail, only reason portrait is ruined is because the cross shows through

all i know is it is london nothing more.. please fill me in with typing.

Thanks for sharing 'ScottO'. This looks like a long-cross penny from England. The legend on the rim is a little difficult to read, but it looks like this might be from King: Edward I (1272-1307 AD). I hope this is of some help to you.

Hello!

CrB2He.jpg

I have a soft spot for coins of this style. I think there a variety from the Salzburg area as well. Nice coin.

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple more specimens that I picked up recently.

1.) This is a silver Dinar from Serbia dating from 1371-1396 AD. This was issued under the rule of Nobleman: Vuk Brankovic of Kosovo. Obverse: Cyrillic legend 'VLK DINAR IA'/'VUK DINAR' with Moneyers intials JAKOV. Reverse: Christ enthroned holding book of gospels. This issue is unique in that it had the denomination marked on the coin.

Serbia-AR Dinar 1371-1396 AD: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=968675

2.) The second is a silver Gros from Cyprus. This was issued under the reign of King: Hugh IV from 1326-1359 AD.

Cyprus-AR Gros 1326-1359 AD: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=968875

968882.jpg

968881.jpg

A couple of coins that intregued me - so I bought them! Any help with attribution welcome!!

Hi Geordie. Interesting specimens. The first coin appears to be a Frankish coin from either Achaea, Athens or one of the other areas of Greece under French control. The legend is impossible to read so I can't say for certain. The second coin looks familiar, but I'm uncertain of it's origin. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I must admit I personally find medieval Islamic coins to be a treasure trove of underrated and reasonably priced items of history and bueaty. For example some of the Indian Moghul ones are just breathtaking. Other Islamic gold coins I have found priced not much higher their then bullion value. Bargains I say!

I just picked up some dirhams and dinars that once I re-research and photograph, I'll post on omni.

Thanks,DJB for the clues. I've searched "coins of Medieval Europe" and a couple of websites without success :ninja:

I know what you mean. Most of the books on medieval coins are too generalized to be of much help, but I guess any is better than none. I have one book that deals with medieval coins from Serbia and Bosnia. It's an awesome reference book that also has a price list. Maybe you can surf Ebay and find reference material for specific medieval coins. This might help.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah ah medieval coins, well...

Here's some I still have, all English coins;

Edward I (1272-1307) Class 2A struck in 1280 at London [Anyone who's seen Braveheart this was Longshanks].

A real exceptional strike on this piece, certainly one of the best I've seen and so I bought it as soon as I saw it even though I don't actually collect Edward I coins!

902499.jpg

Here's another one I thought I just had to have, although this one is more my period than the Edward I, early 12th century English history is my period of expertise.

Henry II (1154-1189) Struck in 1180 at Winchester

899302.jpg

Right in my period with the next one, the coinage of this reign is what I wrote my MA Dissertation on.

Stephen (1135-1154) Shaftesbury Mint, a Watford Type penny, there's some disagreement over when these were struck and for how long they remained current coinage of the realm, some historians have argued that they were around from 1136 through to the late 1140s, the original interpretation was that they were only around from 1136-41 (this earlier viewpoint seems most logical to me, it's a long story).

899301.jpg

All in all a very fascinating reign both historically and numismatically.

Here's one I used to own;

Henry VI (1422-1461, 1470-1471) 1422 London mint Noble

899958.jpg

believe it or not I owned this for about 1 year and then I traded it in for this;

Aethelstan (924-939) Anglo-Saxon penny struck around 930.

901951.jpg

I'd always wanted one of these since I was a small boy, so as much as I miss the noble, I don't regret it one bit.

Archived