CoinPeople.com

How fast is this going to get pulled?

Mark Stilson

1799 bust dollar

Ebay official time. (Link at bottom of page)

Monday, July 21, 2008 19:34:15 PDT

Someone with a 13300 rating bidding on it. (Probably to report.)

I always hated this knock off. One of the older really ugly Chinese fakes.

c853614e.jpg

1799 bust dollar

c853614e.jpg

Every coin he is selling is counterfeit. From the morgan dollar, the trade dollar, the awful 1795, and this pos right here. I can say without a doubt in my mind that these are all fakes. Look at the weakness on the edge, the flatness of the lettering, the dull dead look to the metal. He is passing them as circulated to try and mask that the weak counterfeit strike is because of it being circulated. Rediculous that eBay allows this.

Well, I complained to customer support about the difficulty in reporting the problem without buying. We have a local antique store with a bowl of these counterfeits for sale for $10 each. The sign says the police said they could sell them as long as they mark them as counterfeit. Go figure. The pieces from this buyer appear to be from a very similar batch of counterfeits.

Every coin he is selling is counterfeit. From the morgan dollar, the trade dollar, the awful 1795, and this pos right here. I can say without a doubt in my mind that these are all fakes. Look at the weakness on the edge, the flatness of the lettering, the dull dead look to the metal. He is passing them as circulated to try and mask that the weak counterfeit strike is because of it being circulated. Rediculous that eBay allows this.

Yep, I saw that. Just the ticked off liberty is my favorite fake. It would have been better if it was one of the ones with a date in the 1800 1900's (Can't remember the actual date they had on it. )

1799 bust dollar

c853614e.jpg

The auction is still active as I type this message.

I've reported the listings...but I doubt eBay will do anything. Reporting anything to them is like taking a piece of paper...writings a long letter...blowing your nose in it...using the "facilities" on it...placing it in an insured next day envelope with too much postage...burning it...taking the ashes and tossing them in the ocean...and then wait for a real person to respond to said letter. Yeah, close to that.

Btw the fake trade dollar is over $100 now...such crap.

When I look, it says $51. I've not had a response from Ebay. Neither have I had a response from the seller (I asked if he was selling the coin as genuine or counterfeit).

I wouldn't deal with anyone who writes their description in large, thick, block blue letters like that...

Lol.

Certainly, blue means fake....didn't you know? :ninja:

"This listing (290247542606) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number."

Woot, enough of us complained that it was removed. What about his other auctions, anyone remember his name?

all jokes aside, I see ebay remove fakes quite often but that never seems to make a dent in the spite people (who USE, sell, and browse the place) have for them. They could remove 8 out of 10 but people will only remember the 2 they didnt remove. :ninja:

all jokes aside, I see ebay remove fakes quite often but that never seems to make a dent in the spite people (who USE, sell, and browse the place) have for them. They could remove 8 out of 10 but people will only remember the 2 they didnt remove. :ninja:

They are good at removing the obvious fakes but the ones that are not so obvious, such as the trade dollar he was selling, seem to stay on eBay more-often-than-not.

The general public, myself included, does indeed remember the bad more easily than the good. It's human nature to harp on all the bad that has been seen and leave out all the good that has been done. EBay does a great service to us and is wonderful for many things, but just like politics, one glaring fault can ruin everything for their image.

Archived