CoinPeople.com

2008-S Bald Eagle Proof Commemorative Die Crack Reverse

You've seen the "Wounded Eagle", and the "Speared Bison", now feast your eyes on the newest die crack discovery, "Torn Flag" 2008-S Bald Eagle 50C Proof Commemorative, NGC PR70 Ultra Cameo - Die Crack Reverse @ 3:00.

The prominent die crack on the reverse of this coin measures approx 10-12 mm in length. It tears through Old Glory, and extends all the way out to the rim. Resulting in what clearly looks like a "Torn Flag", clearly visible without any magnification at a distance of up to 2 ft.

**** Update - August 1, 2008 ****

Coneca & Numismaster Report On This Rare Find, Read All About It

http://www.conecaonline.org/

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Articl...;ArticleId=5019

Image © Ken Potter 2008 Numismatic News

2008SBaldEagle50cCrackDieRevb_Resized.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to CP and thanks for showing us! I had never see one of those coins before, too

Thank you, I'm glad to be here! It's actually quite an interesting crack as far as cracks go.

#1 because of the coin being a proof, #2 it's also a commemorative issue, #3 the location of the crack, hence the name "Torn Flag", and #4 - so far, it seems to be one of a very few, if not the only example found.

Oh, and then #5 it carries the PR70 Ultra Cameo grade! Which I imagine could possibly get stripped if I ever resubmitted it for designation on the label. Tough call there... NGC obviously missed it, how I don't know, but they did - so the question remains. If they had seen it, would they have given it top honors? (PR70UC) It is what it is, so I might not take the risk of that happening.

Thanks again for the welcome!

D

I can't believe they missed it! Some of the members of this forum can't stand third party grading. If they see your coin, they'll have even more distaste for NGC than they already do.

I can't believe they missed it! Some of the members of this forum can't stand third party grading. If they see your coin, they'll have even more distaste for NGC than they already do.

There are quite a few reasons not to like them, I guess situations like this just add to that list. At least 3 of their people "supposedly" had checked the coin, possibly even a 4th person. I saw the crack immediately, but then I don't miss much.

I've been informed that there is supposed to be a printed story on this coin with professional photos coming along soon - when it finally hits, I'll be adding the link to this thread.

D

There are quite a few reasons not to like them, I guess situations like this just add to that list. At least 3 of their people "supposedly" had checked the coin, possibly even a 4th person. I saw the crack immediately, but then I don't miss much.

I've been informed that there is supposed to be a printed story on this coin with professional photos coming along soon - when it finally hits, I'll be adding the link to this thread.

D

**** Update - August 1, 2008 ****

Coneca & Numismaster Report On This Rare Find

http://www.conecaonline.org/

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Articl...;ArticleId=5019

Congrats, Dan!

Where in MD are you from?

Thanks, it's pretty cool. So far, it's still the only one around too. I didn't realize it was a first for a non circulating commemorative. I guess I found my little place in numismatic history :ninja:

I am originally from Chillum, Hyattsville area, was born in DC. Family moved to Rockville, Potomac area when I was a young teen, so spent many years around that area. Once I got married I started moving out from the city area to afford a home. currently I am out in the hills, between Frederick and Hagerstown.

Dan

It seams that the mint used a well worn die and stuck a large amount mine came with the crack I will post it when it back from ANACS

they also did at both mint with Minnesota state quarter & the Proof too

I don't know about a well worn die, the coin I have is PR70 Ultra Cameo - which if NGC had caught it, would probably not be the case. Keep us posted when you get yours back - interested in what grade they will assign when they know the crack is there.

When did your coin get delivered from the mint, and is yours the same 3:00 crack?

Dan

From what I have heard and seen... these are prob gonna be somewhat common... I saw a couple for sale in baltimore..

That's ok, I never thought it wold be the one and only. But, is is the one listed in the Variety Coin Register . . . and, it sure will look nice displayed along with a copy of Numismatic News. Knowing it's the coin that broke the story, pictured along with my name in print :ninja:

Dan

That's ok, I never thought it wold be the one and only. But, is is the one listed in the Variety Coin Register . . . and, it sure will look nice displayed along with a copy of Numismatic News. Knowing it's the coin that broke the story, pictured along with my name in print :ninja:

Dan

Heck yeah! that's what its all about... discovering new things... i wasn't trying to downplay the discovery... its a very neat piece.

Heck yeah! that's what its all about... discovering new things... i wasn't trying to downplay the discovery... its a very neat piece.

:ninja: that's good - I probably won't ever have another situation like this one again.

Were the examples you saw at the show that were for sale graded/NGC/PCGS/what grade), and how much were they asking?

From what I have heard and seen... these are prob gonna be somewhat common... I saw a couple for sale in baltimore..

I spoke with Dave Harper (Numismatic News) who was also at the show in Baltimore. I asked him if he had seen any for sale and he didn't see any. But, he did say that was good news if they were being offered for sale.

I had asked you several days ago, but you never did reply - what grades were being offered and what were the asking price(s) - did any sell?

Thanks!

Dan

• 1 year later...
It seams that the mint used a well worn die and stuck a large amount mine came with the crack I will post it when it back from ANACS

they also did at both mint with Minnesota state quarter & the Proof too

It's getting on close to two years later now, and I am still waiting to see your coin with the die crack? OR, ANY OTHERS for that matter - even reading of another being found would suit me, but there hasn't been any other reports of one being seen. What was seen at the show. mentioned in this thread, was obviously something other than the 2008S Half Dollar Proof Bald Eagle - with the crack.

Being a 'One and Only' may keep it out of the news for now, but when it's passed on along to one of my daughters, it will surely be worth quite a bit - and someday, might be back on the front page news all over again! :ninja:

http://hermes.csd.net/~coneca/content/recentfinds.htm

Dan

Not to be a negative Nancy, but IMO the greatest aspect of this find is proof that PF/MS70 graded coins are a farce. I mean, can someone really argue that a coin struck with a cracked die is a perfect coin/specimen? ;)

We all have opinions, free will etc, but let me ask you - when the last time one of your coins made the front page of Numismatic News, OR any publication for that matter?

If NGC had found it, which is part of my posting the story here to begin with, things may have been different and I certainly wouldn't had been able to purchase the coin, much less break the story because they wanted to charge me to have them recheck it - so there's a few aspects of this story that obviously go above and beyond your level of comprehension... Nancy :ninja:

All fun aside, it's a first... whether they did their job and had caught it, or as it happened, me noticing it before the wrapping paper hit the floor - never in US numismatic history has there been a major flaw on a US minted commemorative coin that didn't have a circulating counterpart - so, when your grandchildren are collecting coins, and their grandchildren are collecting coins, that will never change - a first is a first and nobody can take that away... even if I sell the coin, my name remains there in the books, along with the find!

;)

Still waiting for anyone to show me another - there has to be more than one, if the mint changed dies, then they would have caught it there ... so who's holding the rest?

Dan

Archived