CoinPeople.com

France and French-Printed notes

Dave M

Nice bite. That note has been evading me for a while. I did buy it (online) once, it turns out the seller had already sold it and sent it to Spain.

Just got this 2 notes from the post office.

And it seems that unc french notes supply are very limited in the future.

abc02_edited.jpg

abc01_edited.jpg

http://www.banknotebank.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=924036

http://www.banknotebank.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=924035

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got this 2 notes from the post office.

And it seems that unc french notes supply are very limited in the future.

Nice notes again, Madison! Your are right about the scarcity of these notes. I am amazed at how some notes are disappearing so fast. At least you've got these two lovelies in a good home! Congrat's!

Nice notes again, Madison! Your are right about the scarcity of these notes. I am amazed at how some notes are disappearing so fast. At least you've got these two lovelies in a good home! Congrat's!

Dave , thanks, still can not find my favorite NAPOLEAN without pinholes yet...

French notes in good condition have becoming more scarce ever since I've been collecting them... but is this any different for good notes from anywhere else?

Dave

Yes,Dave, I am in agreement with you.This phenomena is definitly the trend towards the good 'unc' notes, especially the British commonwealth, the French, the Spanish,the Portuguese and some of the middle east countries.......The supply is really drying up. :ninja:

Here's a new one, Tunisia P-31. It was issued during German occupation of WWII. This is an overprint on a note printed in 1892 by Banque de France, that was never issued. Paper is almost like tissue paper.

tn-P-31-a.jpg

tn-P-31-b.jpg

Dave

Here's a new one, Tunisia P-31. It was issued during German occupation of WWII. This is an overprint on a note printed in 1892 by Banque de France, that was never issued. Paper is almost like tissue paper.

Dave

I know that Tunisia was a French Protectorate, but I still find it interesting tha the German army woudl issue bank of France notes in Tunisia and have to have the overprint obscuring Bank of France and then one stateing Bank of Tunisia, then obscuring Cent Francs and one stating Mille Francs. I wonder what the conditions were that made it easier to do that than to reissue Tunisia notes, even with overprints. I suppose simple logistics in wartime North Africa.

Nice note though. I've not seen it before - is it scarce?

I know that Tunisia was a French Protectorate, but I still find it interesting tha the German army woudl issue bank of France notes in Tunisia and have to have the overprint obscuring Bank of France and then one stateing Bank of Tunisia, then obscuring Cent Francs and one stating Mille Francs. I wonder what the conditions were that made it easier to do that than to reissue Tunisia notes, even with overprints. I suppose simple logistics in wartime North Africa.

Nice note though. I've not seen it before - is it scarce?

My French catalog lists it as "Rare", and neither it nor SCWPM give it a value above XF. So yes in this condition I think it is fairly rare, though not extremely.

From the French catalog:

The notes were overprinted by the French Vichy government during occupation, and only available between Feb 4 and April 15, 1934, and were withdrawn in May 1943 after Tunisia was liberated.

Dave

My French catalog lists it as "Rare", and neither it nor SCWPM give it a value above XF. So yes in this condition I think it is fairly rare, though not extremely.

From the French catalog:

The notes were overprinted by the French Vichy government during occupation, and only available between Feb 4 and April 15, 1934, and were withdrawn in May 1943 after Tunisia was liberated.

Dave

WOW ! Nice to have one...Good find DAVE.... Hate to ask another question.....

Thanks guys, I was glad to see this one available.

Madison, what's the question?

Dave

Thanks, DAVE, I save it for the next opportunity.... I must admit that I am constantly amazed in your ability in finding these lovely notes. My sources around the globe can not help me,and my want list is for ever growing....BTW, once again thanks for sharing your wonderful notes and for all to enjoy.....and dreaming about it.... :ninja:

Madison

Thanks, DAVE, I save it for the next opportunity.... I must admit that I am constantly amazed in your ability in finding these lovely notes. My sources around the globe can not help me,and my want list is for ever glowing....BTW, once again thanks for sharing your wonderful notes and for all to enjoy.....and dreaming about it.... :ninja:

Madison

Thanks Madison, though from the various notes you've been posting here, it seems to me that you're finding some treasures as well! I have a long want list as well. But not filling it saves me money, and keeps me "in the hunt". I would hate to be "done" with the collection.

Dave

Thanks Madison, though from the various notes you've been posting here, it seems to me that you're finding some treasures as well! I have a long want list as well. But not filling it saves me money, and keeps me "in the hunt". I would hate to be "done" with the collection.

Dave

I cant think of anything more depressing than being done :ninja: That's why I chose German Notgeld as my main focus its just not going to happen but ill try only 157,000 or so notes to go ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Very interesting notes, BG - thanks for all the background information on them. I've never seen them before!

Dave

CCI00000z1_edited.jpg

CCI00001z1_edited.jpg

CCI00000z2_edited.jpg

CCI00001z2_edited.jpg

Just got these notes from the post office...Very nice looking notes and hard to find in this conditions.....ENJOY !

WOW!

Two fantastic notes, Madison! Those are a couple really key notes, they are just so perfect in their design and colors - they've got it all!

Congrats on finding them in such nice shape.

Dave

It is a pity that the formation of the EROPEAN UNION is destroying all these beautiful notes to be issued. This is and will be certainly a sad moment for all the world bank note collectors. :ninja:

It is a pity that the formation of the EROPEAN UNION is distroying all these beautiful notes to be issued. This is and will be certainly a sad moment for all the world bank notes collectors. :D

WOW!!! Another couple of amazing and beautiful banknotes :ninja: You always seem to surprise me with you amazing notes! ;)

I agree with you that the EU might be butting a blandness on paper money and removing the cultural aspects from banknotes, but they might come around in the future to do something like the second note you posted - which is also a banknote from a currency board 'Central African States' with the desiignation for Central African Republic spelled out. Like you last note illustrates, the EU just might issue notes with an overall European flair to them (whatever that may be), but more likely I think, is that they might do like the coins, and issue notes on which one side is designed with an EU Recognizable image, and the other is designed in line with the member country's cultural and national symbols. And then there might even be some commemorative EU Notes in the future. Well, we can hope anyway!

And once again - - Great New Notes!!!!!

;););)