Dave M

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave once again you show us some realy lovely notes, many thanks :ninja:

Thanks! I just received a few more notes today, will post them as I get them scanned and loaded up on my site. Here's the first of them French West Africa P43

frwest-P-43-a.jpg

frwest-P-43-b.jpg

By the way, I'm almost done with a huge conversion on my FrenchBanknotes.com web site. I'm putting all the banknote information into XML, and automating the generation of the pages on the site so they are all sourced from XML. It's been quite the learning experience. So now I can add a note just by adding an XML entry for it, and all the relevant pages should update dynamically. I guess I should have asked if anyone has already defined an XML schema for a banknote, but I didn't. I just made up what I needed ;) So if you're rummaging around on my site and see some broken things... yes, I'm still working on it.

Dave

This is a most fascinating colonial:

frwest-P-43-a.jpg

Can you have imagined the furor this would have created in this day, what with bare chested Africans and a fully clothed French colonial saviour?

But indeed, the design is lovely, emblematic of the "Empire Francaise" 5000FR note of 1945.

This is a most fascinating colonial:

Can you have imagined the furor this would have created in this day, what with bare chested Africans and a fully clothed French colonial saviour?

But indeed, the design is lovely, emblematic of the "Empire Francaise" 5000FR note of 1945.

Yep, looking back on these with today's eyes, it would be hard not to imagine these notes being a huge insult to the locals. I suppose times were different, though, and I'm glad they printed them so you can make your "pretty ladies" collection that we all enjoy :ninja:

More to come, I was lucky to get a nice batch of notes recently... emptied my bank account a bit.

Dave

I would have bought those for my ladies on banknotes collection, but I stopped collecting in that venue back in October. Actually that collection will hit the auction block at some point in the near future along with everything else.

What collection? WHERE? WHEN? Care to explain !! :ninja: and love to hear it.....

I would have bought those for my ladies on banknotes collection, but I stopped collecting in that venue back in October. Actually that collection will hit the auction block at some point in the near future along with everything else.

Sorry to hear that, I always enjoyed those images.

Dave

Sorry to hear that, I always enjoyed those images.

Dave

Nothing to be sorry about, I am not having to sell my collections, I want to. Just a change for me, philanthropy is going to be my new thing. I get much more rewarding experiences from it. I am working on a child welfare project in E. Europe and just returned from there this weekend. I might be going back in about three weeks or so too. I think I will always like looking at banknotes, coins and studying them but I will rather use my resources for what for me are more rewarding pursuits.

Nothing to be sorry about, I am not having to sell my collections, I want to. Just a change for me, philanthropy is going to be my new thing. I get much more rewarding experiences from it. I am working on a child welfare project in E. Europe and just returned from there this weekend. I might be going back in about three weeks or so too. I think I will always like looking at banknotes, coins and studying them but I will rather use my resources for what for me are more rewarding pursuits.

Ah, very cool. Then congrats and good luck with the new endeavors! Maybe you should keep a "virtual collection" of fine damsels on banknotes, then.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
A very nice looking note.I was ordering the same one from a dealer in Europe,but was missed out by a few days. Well, will try again....Congratulation.! Dave M :ninja:

Thanks Madison! They're not too rare, I'm sure another will pop up soon for you.

Dave