Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more from me today:

Romania

ro-P-22a-a.jpg

ro-P-22a-b.jpg

A Djibouti note that just seems impossible to find Unc (other than as a specimen), so I picked up this one in XF after getting tired of waiting. I'm sure now that I've bought this one, the market will be flooded with Unc copies :ninja:

dj-P-7A-a.jpg

dj-P-7A-b.jpg

Dave

Here's an interesting close-up of the Peacock note above. I found this while staring at a hi-rez scan, it has "Banque de l'Indochine" in microprinting in the yellow backgrounds of the left and center areas. This is by far the oldest note I have seen microprinting on. I'm not an expert in this particular area, maybe someone can clarify if it was common at or before this time (1941)?

dj-P-7A-m.jpg

Dave

Dave M, I have some Giesecke & Devrient printed notes from the 1890's with microprinting. They printed a lot of notes for the German Lander, some of their colonies, and a few Latin American notes.

Also I see microprinting on Joh Enschede en Zonen printed notes from the 1930's and 1940s - Dutch notes.

Here is a German, Bavarian note from 1900:

germanybavaria100.jpg

And the higher res detail, look in the background:

germanybavaria100dtl2.jpg

I got this note last year in a group of notes VFox sent as a gift. Finally have my scanner working. I know the front of the note was posted in a group a few pages back but the reverse is certainly worthy of sharing. So here it is.

4269700798_0f90ce5c5e.jpg

4269704048_56c45cec67.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Ah, See323 is getting bitten by the French bug :ninja:

Saor Alba - Ouch !!! ( pain in the pocket ) but ONLY with solid serial numbers - 555, 777, 888, 999. If I remember I do have a 666 somewhere.

One French note on the way.

See323 -

Absolutely gorgeous notes! Congrats on the aquisitions. :ninja: I have a 666 note from French West Africa on the way - my first solid, even if it is only three numerals.

Dave

You are right. Congrats on your 666. I used to hesistate when I acquire my first three digits solid 555 from Djbouti. It may not be my usual solids with 6 digits serial numbers, but I do need the varieties including French and French printed notes in my collection. I have since accepted that and also added other numbers such as 777, 888, 999. I believe most solid numbers collectors neglect collecting 3 digits solids. And also sellers do not consider them solid too. Fortunately, sellers do not charge a premium on these 3 digits solids notes. Anyway, we just collect what we like to see in our collection. If everyone collect the same style or same type of notes, our collection will end up duplicating others' collections. It's not unique anymore.

See323, I've always liked that Djibouti note, and that's a beautiful copy!

Dave

Dave M,

Thanks. You have a remarkable French and French printed banknotes collection which include a beautiful website to showcase and enhance the beauty of the notes. I believe both Madison and you have the best collections of French / French notes on internet. Keep up the work.

As I have mentioned earlier, I used to hesistate over this Djibouti note. This note was acquired in uncirculated grade from ebay. The seller used to sell one note every week. I was waiting patiently for the 555 to appear. Interestingly, he has at least a stack of running numbers of more than 10 pieces. After I have acquired the note, I realised that it was a valuable note not because of the solid number but a scarce one.

Enjoy your collections !!! :ninja: