CoinPeople.com

Georgivs 1111 1823 gold coin?

poppett77

george2.bmp

It reads Georgius 1111 D:G Britanniar.rex:fd and has george and dragon on the reverse

Hi, i wonder if you can help my dad has this gold coin, he has been going through some of his coin collection and wondered if you could tell us anything about this, i have searched on the net and found the coin from the previous year but not this one, thanks

Thanks in Advance i know nothing of coins but said i would help my dad.

I am trying to upload some of my images but every time i photograph it it just goes blurry i will try again now, my dads coin is not in what i would say good condition as it looks like it has at some point during its life been attached to a chain and worn as a medallion? or something like that its a bit dirty and we are a bit scared to clean it really as i believe you are not supposed to? i will try and get a picture now.

Thanks

If it's been pierced I doubt it's genuine, piercing a coin of such value would be silly but it could be a real gold coin!

Its not pierced it just has some funny bits on the top edge of the coin when i say fnny i mean it looks like someone has added 4 small pieces of gold to the top i will try and uplad the pictures but its not letting me at the minute thanks for your help.

poppett

Its not pierced it just has some funny bits on the top edge of the coin when i say fnny i mean it looks like someone has added 4 small pieces of gold to the top
Chances are those are remnants of a loop added by someone to make it into a necklace pendant. That's damage which reduces the value of the coin, but never below its bullion value.

BTW it isn't necessary to post the same question in multiple threads on this forum.

Archived