CoinPeople.com

French `city view' jetons

My latest acquisition is this scarcer silver jeton of the town of Nancy in Lorraine minted in 1643. This one is particularly nice because it is in a reasonable collectable condition (I would say VF). Usually you will only see these `city view' type jetons of Nancy in copper and normally a later date.

948115.jpg

Here's another `city view' silver jeton, this time of the town of Orleans dated 1735. It was issued for the guildsmen of the city and again is more usually found in base metal.

923083.jpg

Here's another later date (1760) silver jeton for Orleans

912730.jpg

....and now for Paris. Here's the earliest one I have in silver of a view across the Seine towards Chatelet / Notre Dame.It is dated 1682 and was issued for M'sieu Pomereu for his third term in office as the Lord Provost of Paris (Mayor).

947351.jpg

Ditto what bill and elverno said. :ninja: beautiful coins.

So why does the city of Nancy figure a thistle so prominently on its coat of arms? just wondering...

Interesting question indeed, and one that got me asking the same thing when I first noticed its prominence in the coat of arms.

The motto of the city of Nancy is `Non Inultus Premor'. Apparently very similar in both context and meaning to the Scottish motto `Nemo Me Impune Lacessit' (both roughly translate from latin as `No one touches (provokes) me with impunity'). Both mottos claim reference to the thistle, the symbol of both Scotland and Lorraine.

• 5 weeks later...

Wonderful..............! How are things in London? I was born in Enfield Middx. As to the Thistle, I have a giant one in my garden and I can vouch for the truth in both mottoes.

I think I prefer the English Rose, even with its thorns, to my mind far prettier. I should add for, my own safety, I love all things Scottish.

• 1 year later...

resurecting this thread due to a recent aquisition, a jeton issued for Rene Robert, Mayor of Angers in 1720. The obverse is his coat of arms, but more interestingly (for me anyway), the reverse shows a view of the city....or rather a view of the cathedral and the tower of Saint-Aubin. Not in particularly good nick, but still collectable.

982360.jpg

Great jeton Ian. Angers is where I spent my sophomore year abroad, so I have collected a few old jetons of the city. I'll post them as soon as I photo them.

(St Maurice's cathedral--the spires on your jeton--has Gregorian chant on Sunday mornings, to go with its old stained glass. Enough to make even a marginal Catholic like myself attend mass!)

The wear & colouration give the impression that the city is on fire! Very nice, I love city views & architecture too, the older the better.

Sometimes scanned images aren't true portrayals. However in this case the jeton really does look like that in the flesh.

You can probably tell that i'm a bit of a bit of a sucker for city views / architectural depictions myself. Actually i'm a bit of a sucker for just about anything coin / medal / jeton in origin. :ninja:

Great jeton Ian. Angers is where I spent my sophomore year abroad, so I have collected a few old jetons of the city. I'll post them as soon as I photo them.

(St Maurice's cathedral--the spires on your jeton--has Gregorian chant on Sunday mornings, to go with its old stained glass. Enough to make even a marginal Catholic like myself attend mass!)

I don't know all that much about the town of Angers so your info re the cathedral being `de St Maurice' is much appreciated. Fascinating that you have spent some time there. Hopefully the memories are fond ones. It certainly sounds like it from your description of the stained glass and chants. Great that you have some jetons from the town. I'm looking forward to seeing them whenever you get the chance. The only other jetons I have from the town are of various mayors (1750's onwards) , including one of Stanislaus brother of Louis XVI and later known as Louis XVIII.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought another Angers city view jeton, this one dated 1655 and issued for M'sieur Gohin, Mayor of Angers and Knight of the realm. A different (and more detailed) perspective than the last.

982990.jpg

1685AngersmaireCharlotobv.jpg

1685AngersmaireCharlotrev.jpg

Ian --your jetons are amazing. This one is a bit more scruffy, but it shows the old Hotel de Ville, which was replaced in the 18th century.

1685 IAC.CHARLOT.ESCer.Sr.DES.LOGES.MAIRE ses armes; à l’exergue 1685 /

CVLTV.SIC.HOSPITE.CLARA “illustre pour son élégance comme pour son

hôte” vue de l’Hôtel de Ville d’Angers

[à partir de Jacques Charlot, le maire fut obligé d’habiter l’Hôtel de Ville]

cuivre, G 1440 F 8463 C 1189

• 2 years later...

It'd be cool to juxtapose these with post card or current photographic views.

• 7 years later...

Here's a silver jeton dated 1689 which was minted for Chartres. Not the best of grades but still very collectable, and the first one i've actually seen for over 10 years. The jeton was also struck in copper...both the silver and copper pieces are rarely seen on the market.

Chartres1689obv.jpg

Chartres1689rev.jpg