CoinPeople.com

Bills Boggle the Blind

I remembered this decision coming down from the district court, but I sort of assumed it would be overturned. Apparently I was wrong:

Court Says Money Discriminates Against Blind

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/washington...amp;oref=slogin

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. discriminates against blind people by printing paper money that makes it impossible for them to distinguish the bills' value, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The ruling upholds a decision by a lower court in 2006. It could force the Treasury Department to redesign its money. Suggested changes have ranged from making bills different sizes to printing them with raised markings.

The U.S. acknowledges that the design hinders blind people but it argued they had adapted --some relied on store clerks for help, some used credit cards and others folded certain corners to help distinguish the bills.

But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled 2-1 that such adaptations were insufficient. The government might as well argue that, since handicapped people can crawl on all fours or ask for help from strangers, there's no need to make buildings wheelchair accessible, the court said.

The court also ruled that the U.S. failed to explain why changing the money would be an undue burden. The Treasury Department has redesigned its currency several times in recent years and adding features to aid the blind would come at a relatively small cost, the court said.

Other countries have added such features, the court said, and the U.S. never explained what made its situation so unique.

I remember when I moved to Australia, I discovered that the bills were slightly longer for each larger denomination. I'm one of those who need to have all my notes lined up perfectly in my wallet and it drove me nuts until I figured it out! LOL Banknote collectors can rejoice in another series of notes to collect.

It's about time they did something about this. Sure there'll be a startup cost but after that it's minimal and who cares. The cost to print money is totally insignificant.

• 2 months later...

I don't understand why anyone would object to such a move. Most of the arguments I have seen against are really petty.

Considering most of Europe switched physical currency, and the UK also in 1971, its about time you guys did something big to balance it all out :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

It seems that the smarter nations in the world are in fact those that cater to those that make them what they are.

Their populations, including the disadvantaged.

We so called 'smart nations' (really pig-headed), really need to take a step back and have a good look at ourselves.

It is pathetic to think, that it is so hard to put some braille bumps or raised lines on a note.

I don't care if it has ink on it or not. It is a device for unsighted or impaired vision people.

It is not for sighted people to look at and say, 'oooh, mysterious thingo'.

And I agree with above, the arguments against tactile idetification marks on banknotes are pathetic and lame.

I want to see those that argued against, be blinfolded and ripped off by sighted thieves off all their $100 notes, and left with $1's.

Current list of smart nations on this planet that are considerate towards their populations needs,

Bahrain. (Raised bars)

Canada. (Braille)

Hmm, I can find no others.

Please add if you know of any others.

A sad list if I may say.

Other nations such as England almost get there, but with statements regarding blind people, like this one,

"The new-style £20 note does not require a separate recognition symbol because the denomination numeral is prominently displayed in the clear white area."

not quite.

According to the English Royal Society for the Blind, few people read Braille these days and the bumps might wear off.

Whoopdi doo, like the notes would have lasted forever and a day without Braille bumps.

Meanwhile, absolutely nothing happens and the same complaints are ignored by the same people.

US blind or visually impaired people fold a corner on the note to identify it.

Really! How does a blind person ID the note in the first place, and doesn't putting folds in the notes shorten their lifespan?

The Bahraini notes have raised bars, someone should let the others know about this new innovative Middle Eastern banknote technology.

I think the Bahraini's have really done their homework on this subject.

Braille is decreasing in use, Braille symbols and meanings vary with culture.

So, the non-culture/language specific, raised bars won ahead of Braille on the Bahrain banknotes.

I think they have found the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...
Current list of smart nations on this planet that are considerate towards their populations needs,

Bahrain. (Raised bars)

Canada. (Braille)

Euro was designed from the start with visual impairment in mind. Every Euro coin denomination can be identified without looking. Euro banknotes increase in size, are all distinct in colour and alternate between 'hot and cold' colours. They also have unique tactile identifiers including raised lettering, smooth patches, and raised bars, depending on denomination.

As far as the BoE £20 goes it does have some unique smooth areas and I'm pretty sure I could identify one without looking. (on the assumption it was a UK note).

Archived