CoinPeople.com

FS: JT Stanton's Gallery Mint and Del Romines collection

I'm selling a variety of items from JT Stanton's and my own collection featuring numerous Gallery Mint Museum items and some by Del Romines, author of the "Hobo Nickels" book.

There are many low mintage pieces, some unique, including intentional errors, in a variety of different metals.

So, whether you like JT Stanton's ANA candidacy tokens from 1995, pewter medalets minted at coin shows over the past 10 years, early Gallery Mint Museum strikings, hand hammered material, Hobo Token storecards, or other interesting types, both odd and unsual, please take a look at my illustrated catalogue.

The 11 page catalogue is about 3 megabytes in .pdf form and can be accessed directly at the following location:

http://www.kpftradio.com/jstan6.pdf

or you can visit my Gallery Mint Museum webpages for the link and for other related resources here:

http://www.hal-pc.org/~edi/gmm/

The sale runs through May 2008. Below is the cover page for the catalogue, so you can be better informed prior to downloading the .pdf file.

Cheers!,

Edwin Johnston

vice president, Greater Houston Coin Club

Welcome to my illustrated sales catalogue!

This is an illustrated catalogue of items by private minters, specifically the Gallery Mint Museum (GMM) and Del Romines. Most of the items are from JT Stanton's personal collection with some duplicates from my own collection.

The feature of the sale is a cache of very low mintage 1995 “Stanton for ANA” tokens. These were the first commissioned pieces for GMM. The bulk of the order was for 500 copper and 1,000 brass tokens to promote Stanton's candidacy for ANA Governor. The first reverse design didn't work out well, so production on that was scrapped with only a handful of tokens made. The second reverse was acceptable and the order was produced using that one, including the minting of only one dozen silver tokens. The errors offered are likely unique.

Following the Stanton tokens are a number of 22mm pewter errors minted on the GMM mobile screw press. There is quite an educational variety of error types that should interest everyone.

I've also included a run of pewter medalets from a dozen different numismatic events 1996-2006. These popular items were minted on-site only, using the mobile screw press.

Next up, and rarely available on the market, are hand struck reproductions of the Greek Didrachms, with a parody reverse commemorating the 1999 ANA Summer seminar, where they were struck.

There are also some pre-GMM Renaissance Festival strikings, a highly prized ANA Exhibitors and Judges medal from 1999, some exciting club medals and a unique variety of other items to round out the GMM offerings.

The last section of the sale includes a smattering of hand designed and hand struck pieces by Del Romines, author of the groundbreaking book on "Hobo Nickels". Romines initially minted storecard tokens to promote his book and branched out to mint others for his friends, like Bill Fivaz, and to commemorate other events and institutions. Romines items come up for sale now and then, but this collection has the most variety that I have ever seen available all in one place.

Once this sale has ended, many of these items will not be seen again on the market for a long while, as the mintages are so minuscule and the distribution so wide. This is a great opportunity to pick up some very interesting material.

Terms: All items sold on a first come, first served basis. Purchases are payable by check or money order made out to Edwin Johnston. All items sold as is. They are all “as struck”, with a few items suffering from minor fingerprints, smudges, etc. Liberal return/refund policy if not satisfied. There will be a nominal fee for postage, depending on order size. Sale ends May 31, 2008.

Note on photos: This is my first attempt at digital photography, with predictable results. The pieces themselves are generally better looking in hand than the photos. Some are scanned. I can also provide larger photos of individual pieces by request.

Happy hunting!

Edwin Johnston - edi@hal-pc.org

PO Box 66021

Houston, TX 77266-6021

• 2 weeks later...

Final week of sale - ends May 31.

For photos, consult the catalogue:

http://www.kpftradio.com/jstan6.pdf

Here's what is left:

JT Stanton for ANA 1995

1 a&b. Stanton Type I Reverse copper 2 specimens available (Mintage: tiny) 22mm $25.00 ea.

3. Stanton Type II Reverse .925 silver (Mintage: ~12) 22mm $30.00

4 a,b&c. Stanton Type II Reverse brass (Mintage: 1,000) 3 specimens available 22mm $11.50 ea.

5 a&b. Stanton Type II Reverse copper (Mintage: 500) 2 specimens available 22mm $11.50

Normal strike pewter medalets

1996 Pikes Peak Pewter (Denver under mountain) ANA Convention (Mintage: ~600)

21. prooflike gem $15.00

23. average strike $10.00

24. average strike dark $10.00

25. weak strike dark $7.00

Other normal pewter medalets

28 a&b. 1999 Minerva Head/ANA Chicago (Mintage: 500) 2 specimens available $8.00 ea

35. 2005 Double Die Lincoln Cent/ANA Summer Seminar $10.00

1999 8.5g silver Didrachm ANA Summer Seminar hand hammered - 20mm

37 a&b. antiqued 2 specimens available $20.00 ea.

38. brilliant $20.00

39. planchet $15.00

Special

- Didrachm Hand Hammered Set:

One of each as above (37a, 38 & 39) Antiqued, brilliant and planchet $55 sale: $50

Renaissance Festivals

40. Date? “Token of Love” brass Seated female figure: Regular obverse die and reverse hub die, trial strike, struck partially out of collar (railroad rim) 32mm $35.00

41. 1989 Lion Guardant/Eagle silver 12 sided oval, perhaps to make pendant 23mm $40.00

Miscellaneous pieces

42. 1992 Doe Brothers/Eureka Springs silver looped 19mm $30.00

44. 1998 New York Numismatic Club 90th Anniv. copper

1999/1998/1796 Liberty Cap Cent (Mintage: ~100) 28mm $50.00

49. 2005 Goddess/Pegasus Fantasy Hand hammered pewter 13mm $7.00

50. 2006 Male Youth/Pegasus Fantasy Hand hammered pewter 15mm brilliant $7.00

Tokens and medals minted by Del Romines

Special

- Bill Fivaz Set:

One of each as listed (51-54) inclusive $42 sale: $38

- Del Romines Combined Tokens Set:

One of each as listed (51-56) inclusive $69 sale: $60

Special

- Preserve Kentucky Wildlife Set:

One of each as listed (57-69) inclusive $106 sale: $95

Super Special

- Make offer on entire Del Romines collection (#s 51-69) 19 pieces total.

Archived