CoinPeople.com

new addition to my collection - 1797 1/4 kop

BKB

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are you asking if its original? I think it is.

I know it is original. I guess the question is not fair. It should have sounded as a riddle: "Do you see anything unusual about this coin?" or "Find a major difference between this coin and regular polushka." :ninja:

I just wanted to dilute a bit the monotony. ;)

I know it is original. I guess the question is not fair. It should have sounded as a riddle: "Do you see anything unusual about this coin?" or "Find a major difference between this coin and regular polushka." :ninja:

I just wanted to dilute a bit the monotony. ;)

Flow metal, green spot, ;) , you should sell coin to me ;);)

Flow metal, green spot, :D , you should sell coin to me ;);)

Almost everyone here is going to tell you it's fake. The other's will complain that it's not slabbed. I think the best idea is to send to me immediately and forget all about it. Rarenum...you probably have 3 of these already and you shouldn't take up any more valuable space in your trays. No, I think it's best it's sent to me ;)

;):ninja:

It is not slabbed, and it is not fake, so it is just fine and you should keep the coin and enjoy it :ninja: I like the coin, so I hope now you are happy ;)

If Rarenum and I are both jumping to get this, you should probably look a little carefully and consider why. ' ;)

Flow metal, green spot, ;) , you should sell coin to me ;);)

Green spot is a new development. It came from the tears of joy that I shed when I took it out of the envelope. :ninja: Could be easily cleaned off with any strong acid or by harsh mechanical cleaning (sandpaper and such) ;) That is no reason to sell it.

Bought it recently and finally received it today. What do you think?

I think you've acquired a great rarity. :ninja:

I had to check my references to see what is special about it. It's not listed in GM, Brekke or Uzdenikov, but is in Bitkin.

Green spot is a new development. It came from the tears of joy that I shed when I took it out of the envelope. ;) Could be easily cleaned off with any strong acid or by harsh mechanical cleaning (sandpaper and such) ;) That is no reason to sell it.

Hmm.

Not slabbed, metal flaw, green spot, probably "no grade" if you send it to TPG experts.

Must be junk. ;):ninja:

I think you've acquired a great rarity. :ninja:

I had to check my references to see what is special about it. It's not listed in GM, Brekke or Uzdenikov, but is in Bitkin.

As I said before, I am a sucker for rarity. ;) Sadly, it probably would not slab, and is of no interest to some "numismatists" here. ;)

By the way, judging by the position of the cypher on Bitkin plate coin, I think he simply photographed a denga, and not a true mule like this one.

1797-EM Polushka with obverse of Denga was not known or published anywhere just 10 years ago if I am not mistaken. Any pieces known surfaced just a few years ago and Bitkin included this coin into second edition of his catalogue (there is no such a coin in the first edition). Where he got the information? May be someone present on this forum provided the info? I would send this coin to GIM before declaring this authentic. I am always skeptical about "new discoveries".

WCO

So is this one the coin used by Bitkin? or another previously known example? Steve, do you have any in your database?

1)Bitkin listed other coin.

2)I have see only 3 coins,possible Steve have more images.

1797-EM Polushka with obverse of Denga was not known or published anywhere just 10 years ago if I am not mistaken. Any pieces known surfaced just a few years ago and Bitkin included this coin into second edition of his catalogue (there is no such a coin in the first edition). Where he got the information? May be someone present on this forum provided the info? I would send this coin to GIM before declaring this authentic. I am always skeptical about "new discoveries".

WCO

While what you say is true, Bitkin writes that there is a coin in private hands. It is possible, however, to ask him about the source of the information. Since that publication, my is the second specimen (that I know of) that came to light. In my opinion the coin is genuine. The dies match the existing dies. Luckily, I have about 4 to 8 specimens og 1797 em dengas and polushkas for comparison and a Carl Zeiss Stemi 11 microscope (if that tells you anything...) The patina is old and not artificial. I have no reason to doubt the coin.

I am surprised that you did not advise me to send it to NGC. All in all, you can send your specimen of this coin to GIM if you wish. I will keep it as far away from Russia as possible. I already lost a Sievsk Chekh there "in the mail".

All in all, you can send your specimen of this coin to GIM if you wish. I will keep it as far away from Russia as possible. I already lost a Sievsk Chekh there "in the mail".

Да, вот хороший совет!

And congratulations on finding such a rarity, BKB! :ninja:

While what you say is true, Bitkin writes that there is a coin in private hands. It is possible, however, to ask him about the source of the information. Since that publication, my is the second specimen (that I know of) that came to light. In my opinion the coin is genuine. The dies match the existing dies. Luckily, I have about 4 to 8 specimens og 1797 em dengas and polushkas for comparison and a Carl Zeiss Stemi 11 microscope (if that tells you anything...) The patina is old and not artificial. I have no reason to doubt the coin.

I am surprised that you did not advise me to send it NGC. All in all, you can send your specimen of this coin to GIM if you wish. I will keep it as far away from Russia as possible. I already lost a Sievsk Chekh there "in the mail".

GIM will do the same, I believe this coin missing in GIM collection, so the best what they will do the same as KBK did (match the dies to other dies). :ninja:

Archived