CoinPeople.com

SENTIMENTAL TOKENS 1773 to 1774 UPDATED!

I also enjoy the old meanings & usage of words & their various spellings, but in this instance it appears that Kirk did in fact sell Dutch & English toys as evidenced by this token in the British Museum's collection.

k146219_l.jpg

A windmill, dog or cat on the counter, the shop assistant holds a bird & the cubby holes behind her contain various other toys.

One token that I would love to own :wub:

A windmill, dog or cat on the counter, the shop assistant holds a bird & the cubby holes behind her contain various other toys.

One token that I would love to own :wub:

One cool token!

• 3 years later...
A later Marquis of Granby was MP for Stamford, 1837-1852 and in the Highstreet St. Martin's Stamford was a "Marquis of Granby" pub dating from early 18th century.
The name of the Inn had been changed to "The Waggon and Horses" circa 1800 but had been changed back to "Marquis of Granby" in 1846 by John Gardner but records show that the landlord in 1855 was a G. Bleet. Could this be who the initials G. B. under the bust are for?
If so that gives a date for the tokens, circa 1850, here is an image of the old pub.

fig473.jpg

• 11 months later...

geosilver.jpg

Solid silver sentimental token, which in itself is extremely rare, this token though possesses another level of rarity entirely!

Sentimental Magazine advertising excerpt,
"A Sentimental Fable in French, in every Number(of the Sentimental Magazine), to be translated in the succeeding Number, the best Translator of which will be entitled to a Silver Medal, with his Name engraved thereon; and those Correspondents who furnish us with the best Poems, or the best Articles in Prose, in the Course of every Month, shall likewise be entitled to a Silver Prize Medal, with their Names, or Signatures, engraved thereon"
edge.jpg

So only 2 engraved silver medals were presented each month but for how many issues is unknown(as far as I can ascertain). The AE medals were only issued for 13 months from April Ist 1773 - April 1774. I have never seen another of the awarded silver medals and was fortunate to have acquired this example. It is possible that all the award medals were of George the III, if not it would suggest that this was one of the first two won. The inscription around the edge reads "THE REWARD OF MERIT I . DENIS PHILOM . SOC ." (Philomath Society) so it either was for the best English translation of a French fable, or for the best poem or article in prose.

• 3 weeks later...