CoinPeople.com

Anyone collectiong Malaysia or Malaya British Borneo

RPT

I am beginner collector just started my collection in Dec 2007. I have completed 75% of the total 12th series of Malaysia banknotes from 1967 to 2008. I am also filling up fast on some super rare 1953-61 Malaya British Borneo banknotes. Working my way up 1941 KGVI and 1930s KGV notes and also very rare Sarawak banknotes.

Anyone who is collecting in these fields please shade some lights and fill me in on what to avoid especially how to identify the forgery notes.

Part of my collection: www.banknotebank.com/?collection=RPT

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am beginner collector just started my collection in Dec 2007. I have completed 75% of the total 12th series of Malaysia banknotes from 1967 to 2008. I am also filling up fast on some super rare 1953-61 Malaya British Borneo banknotes. Working my way up 1941 KGVI and 1930s KGV notes and also very rare Sarawak banknotes.

Anyone who is collecting in these fields please shade some lights and fill me in on what to avoid especially how to identify the forgery notes.

Part of my collection: www.banknotebank.com/?collection=RPT

Hi RPT

Welcome to CP, I'm also quite new here. Still learning, my mum-in law left me a 50 to 60 pieces Malaya and British Borneo banknotes. Currently do not have the time to sort them out yet. Once sorted, maybe we can swap to complete our sets.

Cheers

kelly

Hi RPT

Welcome to CP, I'm also quite new here. Still learning, my mum-in law left me a 50 to 60 pieces Malaya and British Borneo banknotes. Currently do not have the time to sort them out yet. Once sorted, maybe we can swap to complete our sets.

Cheers

kelly

Hi Kelly,

Nice to hear someone r also into Malaya & British Borneo collection. In the QEII 1953 series there r $1, $5, $10, $50, $100 possible in normal collection the $1000 and $10000 r a bit out of reach. The 1959 $1 there r 2 printers Thomas DLR and Waterlow & Sons. The waterlow is harder to find in UNC condition hence expensive too. The 1961 $10 buffalo note has 3 different versions small letter prefix "A", Big letter "A" and the most rare is the big "B". I have two catalogues that related to the current market price of these notes. I like to share info and learn more on the history of Malaya, Malaya British Borneo and Malaysia banknote.

Hi RPT,

Welcome to coinpeople. I believe you are from Malaysia since you collect Malaysian notes. Naturally most Singaporean, Bruneian and Malaysian collectors collect Straits Settlements, Sarawak, Malaya and British Borneo. For me, I collected from Straits Settlements ( 1898, 1906, 1914, 1909, 1916, 1924, 1925, 1927, 1929, 1930, 1935, 1940, 1941, 1953, 1959, 1961 ) and all the way up to Singapore notes. I sold my collection last year starting from the Malayan KGVI notes ( 1940, 1941, 1953, 1959, 1961 ). I also sold off a $5 1898 Straits Settlements note two years ago.

I also have a collection of Singapore Post Bills from Chartered Bank (1859-1860) $5, $10, $50 and $100. These are one of the early money using in Singapore ( Malaya ).

At the moment I still have those estremely rare pieces in high grade Straits Settlements notes with me. It is now more for investment than collection since I have move on to world solid number 555555 banknotes.

You will be happy to know that Straits Settlements, Malaya notes are the 10 most sought after collector choice of investment in the world. They are unique and rare. Go for the high grade ones as they appreciate in many folds. Almost all the high grades Straits Settlements notes are already residing in the hands of collectors from Singapore and Malaysia. In the early days, many high grade Straits Settlements come from UK since this part of world ( Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei ) was under the British Crown Colony.

This coming Spink Auction, you will be seeing many of the rare Straits Settlements and Malayan notes coming out from Steven Tan private collection. I believe you know who is Steven Tan, a well known Malaysian long time banknote dealer. He is selling away his vast collection since his children do not keep banknotes and coins.

Here is an example of one of my rare purchase in 1987, I bought a rare original almost uncirculated / uncirculated Straits Settlement 1914 $5 at $2,300 SGD. In 2004, at one of the Spink Auction, it was sold at $11,000 SGD excluding commission. The prices are still climbing for rare high grade ones. Unfortunately, it is beyond the reach for my collection. I have since focus on my world solid number 555555 banknotes collection. In 2006, I managed to acquired an extremely rare uncirculated 1953 Malaya and British Borneo QEII solid 555555 from Brazil. There is no known solid numbers in uncirculated condition in collector's collection. This is probably the only piece known so far.

If you can afford, go for the rare ones. It may be your collection at this moment, but will turn into your valuable investment in the future.

Happy collecting ! :ninja:

Hi Kelly,

Nice to hear someone r also into Malaya & British Borneo collection. In the QEII 1953 series there r $1, $5, $10, $50, $100 possible in normal collection the $1000 and $10000 r a bit out of reach. The 1959 $1 there r 2 printers Thomas DLR and Waterlow & Sons. The waterlow is harder to find in UNC condition hence expensive too. The 1961 $10 buffalo note has 3 different versions small letter prefix "A", Big letter "A" and the most rare is the big "B". I have two catalogues that related to the current market price of these notes. I like to share info and learn more on the history of Malaya, Malaya British Borneo and Malaysia banknote.

Hi, Thank you for all the tips u have given. I can see that u have very outstanding collection. I do have a few questions, some of the old note has been cleaned and their value reduced greatly after cleaning. What kind of chemical they used to clean? How to identify these cleaned note? I have seem one KGV 1935 $5 which the seller claimed to be AUNC. Closer look the note can only be classified as VFine. part of the note was damage when cleanning.

Hi, Thank you for all the tips u have given. I can see that u have very outstanding collection. I do have a few questions, some of the old note has been cleaned and their value reduced greatly after cleaning. What kind of chemical they used to clean? How to identify these cleaned note? I have seem one KGV 1935 $5 which the seller claimed to be AUNC. Closer look the note can only be classified as VFine. part of the note was damage when cleanning.

A serious banknote collector only goes for original banknotes. When I was collecting in the 1980s, practically all banknotes are in original condition. I have never heard or come across any washed and pressed banknotes in those days. When I revisited my hobby in the 2000s, I realised that there are many good condition notes around. I later realised that the banknotes are professionally washed and pressed. I personally do not keep and sell any of these banknotes since they are in non-original condition. As the demand of these notes goes up, the supply of non-original notes increases. It all depend on what you want. Some collectors may not want to pay a lot for their hobby and may choose to keep non-original ones. I am not sure how these chemicals have an effect on banknotes in the long run. Usually they uses AB solution which were used for restoring stamps. I have heard of the use of Chinese herbs which are odourless. Whatever it is, the value of washed and pressed notes will drop unless it is an extremely rare piece. Go for original ones if you want back your invested money in the long run. Unfortunately, original ones are expensive. I used to have stacks of 1953 QEII Malaya and British Borneo $1 in running numbers ( original uncirculated condition ). I sold them away over the years. I remember buying them at $9 SGD per piece and I sold most of them away at $16 SGD a few months to foreign dealers in a Singapore International Coin Convention. The current price for each of them is around $60 SGD. Two months ago, I sold a running pair in ebay for $110 USD. The price does climbed steadily over the years. Great investment if you are buying them in bundles.

Hi see

I found your post interesting and informative. Wow, didn't know that 1953 QEII Malaya and British Borneo $1 in running numbers ( original uncirculated condition ) is so valuable. I have a stack of about 11 pieces in running numbers, I think my mum-in-law intended to put them inside "ang-pow" but did not give them away.

Also have those quite dirty ones, Malaya 1$ notes in 111111, 222222 and 1234567. Do you think they are of any value?

Thanks in advance.

kelly

Yes, original condition and uncirculated condition is what most serious collectors and investors goes for. Somehow, the world woke up and world collectors love to bring one of these unique QEII Malaya and British Borneo note into their collection so that they can have a exclusive QEII Protrait world banknote collection.

There are a lot of washed and pressed ones sold today.

You have to make sure that those 11 pieces in running numbers are not folded with 1 ( centrefold ) or 2 folds. If there are folds, they will no longer be graded as uncirculated. Most of the time, "Any-Pow" money or red packet have notes folded because the early days red packets are relatively small in size. They have no choice but to fold them and squeeze the money into the red packet.

Yes, I got those 1953 $1 in stacks of 100 pieces, They have all been dispersed over the year to collectors and investors.

As for the Malayan $1 solids, I have to look at them. You may want to send me a scan of them.

Hi see

I found your post interesting and informative. Wow, didn't know that 1953 QEII Malaya and British Borneo $1 in running numbers ( original uncirculated condition ) is so valuable. I have a stack of about 11 pieces in running numbers, I think my mum-in-law intended to put them inside "ang-pow" but did not give them away.

Also have those quite dirty ones, Malaya 1$ notes in 111111, 222222 and 1234567. Do you think they are of any value?

Thanks in advance.

kelly

• 2 weeks later...

No problem, take your time. :ninja:

Hi see

sorry for this late reply. Will take a pic of them and send to you later, busy with work and need to complete the project by end Aug 2008. Many thanks.

regards,

kelly

I am also filling up fast on some super rare 1953-61 Malaya British Borneo banknotes.

Don't think they are rare at all. Logically it shouldn't be. It's just that there is high demand from all the countries where it was used. Plus the British/Queen collection gives it international appeal.

Hence high prices relative to scarcity.

Don't think they are rare at all. Logically it shouldn't be. It's just that there is high demand from all the countries where it was used. Plus the British/Queen collection gives it international appeal.

Hence high prices relative to scarcity.

Yes, they ( 1953- 1961 ) are not rare at all but getting more and more difficult to find original uncirculated condition. Only the Straits Settlements series (1898-1935) are rarer especially in high grade condition.

Yes, they ( 1953- 1961 ) are not rare at all but getting more and more difficult to find original uncirculated condition. Only the Straits Settlements series (1898-1935) are rarer especially in high grade condition.

I guess the issue is there are many more collectors than there were in the past.

I buy a lot on ebay, and certain notes are in very high demand. I personally ONLY buy Indonesia money, but I check the past purchases of the other bidders, and they have varied tastes.

Once a note is sold, it is 90% gone forever. Most collections probably won't ever be sold. So essentially that money is gone from availability. Most owners have no financial need to sell their money. So they won't

And with high demand, eventually so much stuff is locked away in private collections, that the notes acquire scarcity and a high price.

BTW, it's fun to note how quickly a collector grows to accept high prices. My first notes were under $1. Now I will pay up to about $150 for a single note - providing that is a fair price for the scarcity of the note.

I'm not really up to spending $500-$1000 on notes yet though.

I guess the issue is there are many more collectors than there were in the past.

I buy a lot on ebay, and certain notes are in very high demand. I personally ONLY buy Indonesia money, but I check the past purchases of the other bidders, and they have varied tastes.

Once a note is sold, it is 90% gone forever. Most collections probably won't ever be sold. So essentially that money is gone from availability. Most owners have no financial need to sell their money. So they won't

And with high demand, eventually so much stuff is locked away in private collections, that the notes acquire scarcity and a high price.

BTW, it's fun to note how quickly a collector grows to accept high prices. My first notes were under $1. Now I will pay up to about $150 for a single note - providing that is a fair price for the scarcity of the note.

I'm not really up to spending $500-$1000 on notes yet though.

Collectors usually do not sell their banknotes unless they find a better grade one to replace what he/she have in his collection. I used to upgrade the grade of my collection in the early days when I collect my Straits Settlements and Malayan banknotes. It was a tedious but enjoyable search. In those days, we do not have internet, the acquisition of banknotes are solely with public auctions, dealers and collectors. The effort put into searching for them over the weekend was exciting and tiriing. I always ended up broke each month. Still it is a truly enjoyable time when you see your collection grow and improve in grades.

Over a period of 5 to 10 years, banknotes increases in market value. Understanding the scarcity of certain banknotes will help us to identify and increase our investment gains. On the other hands, you gain much satisfaction when your collection is in your possession.

When I first started, I used to observe what a dealer buy at the convention. Without much knowledge, I bought an uncirculated 1940s Ireland one pounder at $10. After keeping for 17 years, I sold it at $120. The note should be worth more if I list it in ebay but it was sold to an international dealer. I regretted not buying a bundle of it. Still the bottomline is you must know what you are buying.

When I first started, I used to observe what a dealer buy at the convention. Without much knowledge, I bought an uncirculated 1940s Ireland one pounder at $10. After keeping for 17 years, I sold it at $120. The note should be worth more if I list it in ebay but it was sold to an international dealer. I regretted not buying a bundle of it. Still the bottomline is you must know what you are buying.

Several years ago I sold my whole Irish collection of banknotes, from 1910's to 1990's to a collector for something like $1000 or similar, I had large size square Pound notes, large denomination Northern Ireland banks etc. I kick myself for ever selling that collection, I had very nice stuff, several early uncirculated or EF notes etc. Now I am collecting Ireland again, and am paying outrageous prices for very nice material. Some of the NI banks have note issues that are very very rare when they are unmarked or defaced by ink marks etc. because of the political situation there.

Several years ago I sold my whole Irish collection of banknotes, from 1910's to 1990's to a collector for something like $1000 or similar, I had large size square Pound notes, large denomination Northern Ireland banks etc. I kick myself for ever selling that collection, I had very nice stuff, several early uncirculated or EF notes etc. Now I am collecting Ireland again, and am paying outrageous prices for very nice material. Some of the NI banks have note issues that are very very rare when they are unmarked or defaced by ink marks etc. because of the political situation there.

A close friend dealer once told me that we cannot be a collector forever. As a collector for rare and high-end banknotes, it is impossible to keep on buying without selling unless we do not have any financial problem. In 2004, I started selling my early collection notes. I also started buying and selling those high-end banknotes. I find that I am getting a different sort of satisfication. I get satisfaction when I see my buyer is happy with his/her purchase. It is only when you sell, you are able to sustain this banknote hobby in the long-run. I understood this fact and continue with the buying/selling in this hobby since 2004.

I doubt the political situation has anything to do with it, it's not like Iraq with bombs falling on banks.

Just lack of supply, excess demand

I doubt the political situation has anything to do with it, it's not like Iraq with bombs falling on banks.

Yes, it is not political tension in Britain but the overall high demand for British and British past and present colonial banknotes. The trend seems to be growing year after year. Somehow collectors likes to collect KGV, KGVI and QEII banknotes. Beware of non-original chemically treated lower grades banknotes sold in higher grades. There are also those who collect for pure investment. This causes the high demand.

Educate yourself about the situation in Northern Ireland, you know, the fighting that has gone on there for over 360+ years and you will understand. Your comment shows lack of any knowledge of the place. People there have long defaced banknotes that they perceive of as being issued by their enemies, Protestant or Catholic. Some notes, notably National Bank or Bank of Ireland were defaced by Protestants because they were "Catholic" whilst Catholics defaced Ulster and Northern Bank notes because they were perceived of as "Protestant". Because of pen marks and propaganda scribbled on notes, some notes are very rare in undefaced condition.

Educate yourself about the situation in Northern Ireland, you know, the fighting that has gone on there for over 360+ years and you will understand. Your comment shows lack of any knowledge of the place. People there have long defaced banknotes that they perceive of as being issued by their enemies, Protestant or Catholic. Some notes, notably National Bank or Bank of Ireland were defaced by Protestants because they were "Catholic" whilst Catholics defaced Ulster and Northern Bank notes because they were perceived of as "Protestant". Because of pen marks and propaganda scribbled on notes, some notes are very rare in undefaced condition.

That's a long time. 360+ years. I am sure people must have suffered alot :ninja:

Educate yourself about the situation in Northern Ireland, you know, the fighting that has gone on there for over 360+ years and you will understand. Your comment shows lack of any knowledge of the place.

I am British and have been to Ulster. The implication from your post was that it was some kind of permanent warzone. It is certainly not 360 years of consuming civil war.

People resent the common suggestion that it's just a place of bombs and terror.

People there have long defaced banknotes that they perceive of as being issued by their enemies, Protestant or Catholic. Some notes, notably National Bank or Bank of Ireland were defaced by Protestants because they were "Catholic" whilst Catholics defaced Ulster and Northern Bank notes because they were perceived of as "Protestant". Because of pen marks and propaganda scribbled on notes, some notes are very rare in undefaced condition.

Do you have any references as to the extent of political graffiti on banknotes?

I don't know the typical circulation of banknotes, but I would imagine much would circulate within defined areas which would be in most cases religiously homogeneous. Are there specific notes that failed particularly?