CoinPeople.com

Dutch silver 5 euro commem HAS ARRIVED!!

Trantor_3

From the Koninklijke Nederlndse Munt (Royal Dutch Mint) website:

Special euro to commemorate 60 years of peace and freedom.

May 30, 2005

On August 15, 2005 it's 60 years ago that the second world war came to an end in the Kingdom of the Netherlands. To commemorate that, an official commomrative coin of 5 euro will be issued. The coin is designed by Suzan Drummen and is issued in order of the minister of Finance.

On may 5th, 1945 The Netherlands were liberated. But only on August 15th of that same year, Japan surrendered and former Netherlnads Indies were liberated as well. That brought an official end to the second world war in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

The new coin is legal tender in The Netherlands and will have a mintage of 1 million pieces. The coin will be available mid of august, at the post offices. Besides that coin, the Mint will also strike two special commemorative coins for collectors: a silver 5 euro coin and a gold 10 euro coin.

More info on the design of the coin and the date of release will come later.

This coin will be available at face value at the post office starting at the first day of issue. It will be a circulation quality coin.

The other silver coin is most probably a proof version and will cost a lot more, as well as the gold coin

Just as with some previous Dutch commemorative coins, I'm offering to help Coin People members to get this coin at face value + shipping & handling.

If you would like to have this coin, please post your name here. Total cost will be around (€ 5 + € 2), depends a bit on the accompanying promotional material I get with it and thus the weight of the package.

Due to the limited mintage and the high demand, I can not guarantee that I will be able to get enough coins for all members, so it's first in, first served. Nor can I guarantee multiple coins for interested members.

So far, the list of interested members contains:

Myself 2x

CrysTalk64

SibirskMoneta (+ EU enlargement)

Unknown

Tiffibunny*

28 plain*

ccg

Sir Sisu 2x

Tabbs

Rabone

Ray*

Henare

Kat

I've been to the post office already and have asked them to set some coins aside for me, if they arrive. They know me well there, so they'll do that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siberian Money and Tabbs ( :ninja: ), consider it done

Dank je wel! As for that user name, guess I was dumb :-) Tried to log in here as "chrisild" which did not work. But instead of realizing that I should have signed up as a new user anyway, I thought something went wrong, and signed up with a different name. So now I am "tabbs", but usually I "sign" my messages ... --->

Christian

trantor_3, Let me know when those coins arrived and I will see if I can't help you out with your U.S. Type set. Have quite a few unc. coins lying around from mint and proof sets so I should be able to help you with some holes or upgrades. Looking forward to something new from the euro countries!!! :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

This is - or rather will be - the coin, called "Vredes Vijfje" (Peace Fiver):

VredesVijfje_BIG.jpg

Looks very promising :-) More info about it, in Dutch, can be found in the latest issue of Muntpers, the magazine of the Royal Dutch Mint:

http://nl.knm.nl/domains/knm/content/pagin...ntpers%2059.pdf

(page 2-3)

http://nl.knm.nl/domains/knm/content/pagin...ntpers%2059.pdf

(page 4-5)

Christian

From the Koninklijke Nederlndse Munt (Royal Dutch Mint) website:

Design of the Peace Fiver is released

June 24 2005

Mid August a second commemorative coin will be issued by the Dutch Financial Department.

August 15 1945 is the day that Japan surrendered and that officially ended World War 2.

To celebrate 60 years of peace and freedom, an official commemorative 5 euro coin will be issued.

The cirulation version of the Peace Fiver will be availbale at the post offices starting at August 16. Besides that, the Royal Dutch Mint will also issue two collector's coins in Proof quality. A silver 5 euro coin and a gold 10 euro coin.

VredesVijfje_BIG.jpg

The design

This festive coin shines like a precious gem. Small dots shine at the obverse around Queen Beatrix, who, for the first time, is shown fully.

She is portrayed in the lofty, powerfull and happy bearing we knwo of her.

Sculpting artist Suzan Drummen is responsible for the design: "The dots suggest space, causing the coin to look a bit spherical. Queen Beatrix appears to be letteraly in that space. And space I associate with freedom".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Probably be my last coin purchase for quite some time, with so many of my coins going out the door.

I used to collect coins, then kids came along. :ninja:

;) And now you collect kids?