CoinPeople.com

Anyone have a local coin dealer nearby?

Uncle Charlie

Your Local Coin Dealer  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have a coin dealer in your local area or town?

• Yes, I do have a local coin shop, where I can purchase coins.
    • No, I don't have a local coin shop.
    • I don't know. I just an old geezer who does move around much these days.

When at college (most of the year) there isn't a good coin dealer nearby. There are some big ones in downtown Chicago (the dealers are occasional members of this forum, I think) but I don't have time to go.

But I've got a dealer back home who is all right. But I'm never home enough!

Got a bunch of choices around. Just have not hit them all. One I like because the price is "flexible" another the range of coins, and the last a new one I dropped by the owner and folks in the store.

Intersting, I personally have a coin dealer in my local town. He's okay, sells american, and mexican coins, and a handful of world coins. Although I know this other guy with a bigger store out of town. What I like is that he's prices are flexible. Keep it up, I still haven't seen a geezer. :ninja:

Yes, but I have not been in a few years. Last time I was there, the prices were pretty insane.

Might have to go back by, just out of curiousity.

If 20 miles is local then yes I have a local coin store.

There is no better place to buy supplies, if you talk to the owner and leet them know you can get the same supply online for $xx, and ask them to match the price, I bet they will if they can.

My nearest one is a good 50+ miles away... :ninja:

So I have to resort to eBay, online shops, metal detectorists, fairs and people emailing me. I find shops are too expensive for what I want anyway.

I got lucky moving out here to find one on main street. It's very small but the guy who owns it is really nice and doesn't talk down to me (I get funny looks every time I enter a shop).

I got lucky moving out here to find one on main street. It's very small but the guy who owns it is really nice and doesn't talk down to me (I get funny looks every time I enter a shop).

Maybe they are astonished by your good looks... :ninja:

There are three coin shops in town that I am aware of, and another one or two in nearby areas that I haven't visited. The major dealer in town is located a few miles from my home, and he has the best selection/inventory, so when I buy from a coin shop, I buy from him. His inventory far exceeds the other two local shops combined, and, in addition, probably that of the other one or two nearby. He's extremely knowledgeable and sells for fair prices.

(Wow. That was my twenty-two-hundred-and-twenty-twooth post !!!)

One of the nearest coin shops to me would probably be Spink but I hardly ever buy from them as they are usually top-notch prices, their auctions are much more attractive!

No old Geezers at CP?

they just won't own up to it in a survey :ninja:

i'm only aware of one dealer in sf ... a few miles from where i live. i visited once and got the impression that i wasn't welcome from the person staffing the shop, and i never went back.

google seems to turn up quite a few more. too bad i didn't do this on wednesday--i had thursday and friday off and could have explored some of these.

Archived