CoinPeople.com

My Euros

De Orc

OK Toxic or not :ninja:;) I have been happily adding my euros to Omnicoin and today have started with my lower values 1c to 50c. Now to be honest for the most part they are damn boaring with the exception so far of Greece

Sets added today are

Cyprus 2008

Malta 2008

Luxembourg 2003

Greece 2002

the Cyprus set consists of two designs The Mouflon (Some type of goat LOL) & Kyrenia ship, 4th century BC. The 1c/2c/5c that I have are very bad examples so they will get replaced in time

Malta again consists of two designs Mnajdra temples & Coat of arms of Malta

Luxembourg 2003 all depict a Effigy of Grand Duke Henri

And finaly today Greece 2002

1 cent

Athenian trireme of the 5th century BC.

2 cents

corvette (or dromon) of the early 19th century.

5 cents

modern tanker, symbol of Greek enterprise.

10 cents

Rigas Velestinlis-Fereos (1757–1798), Greek poet.

Globe & value

20 cents

Ioannis Kapodistrias (1776–1831), Greek statesman.

50 cents

Eleftherios Venizelos (1864–1936), prominent Greek politician

Have a peek and let me know what you think ;)

And finaly today Greece 2002

Very nice set indeed. In my opinion, the Italian pieces are best - like Greece, they picked eight different designs for the eight denominations, but (taking all eight into account) I like the themes from Italy a little better. The other eight-coin sets are from Slovenia (great too), San Marino (nice, except they hardly ever occur in circulation), and Austria (most are attractive). The worst in terms of variety are Belgium and Ireland, with only one design for all denominations. The Netherlands have two designs, and then comes a group of eight countries with three designs each - most of them corresponding to the three different common reverses. And on top :ninja: we have the five with eight designs ...

(Edit: Forgot to add Monaco, three designs, and the Vatican, one design in three variations. And if Slovakia joins next year, which is pretty likely, there will be one more "three designs" country.)

Christian

This is what I have to date, I still need the odd coin to finish off sets and a couple like Belgium & France are composit sets that I am still working on :ninja:

Pre 2007 Full or partial Set's

Austria

Belgium

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Ireland

Italy

Luxembourg

Netherlands

Spain

Post 2006 Full Set's

Cyprus

Finland

Malta

Slovenia

What that cute little Owl :ninja: Just added the following three sets to the online collection, the Spamish set as you will see need some work doing to it LOL The Eire set is one design and Spain / Germany have two designs.

I do like both the Brandenburg gate & the Cathedral designs quite a bit

2002 Eire

1c to 50c all with the Traditional Irish Harp

Spain variouse dates

2 x 19999

2 x 2000

2 x 2001

1c/2c/5c

The Obradoiro façade of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela

10c/20c/50c

Miguel de Cervantes, famous Spanish writer

2002 Germany

1c/2c/5c

Oak twig, featured on the former pfennig.

10c/20c/50c

Brandenburg Gate

As usual to view just folow the link in my sig

Must say the Greek €1 wins the award for creepiest design. :ninja:

I hope the UK goes for a full set, but I'd guess the importance of reminding everyone we have a monarchy would win the day ;)

Discussing "UK euros" is kind of moot - first, by and large the British are not interested. Second, the members of the currency union should IMO be committed to monetary and maybe even further economic integration which is tough anyway but would be extremely difficult to accomplish with the UK. Besides, I don't even want to think about monetary agreements with places such as Guernsey, Jersey or the ever so prolific Isle of Man. ;) Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican are tough enough. Now the Greek €1 coin (which features an Athenian tetradrachmon) I like, and Zeus with Europa (GR €2) is nice too. But Leonardo's Vitruvian Man (IT €1) is still my favorite piece. Another set that I like a lot is the three seals on the Portuguese coins.

Christian

Christian I totaly agree with what you just said :ninja: The IoM would go insane if they were limited in the number of issues they could produce :hysterical:LOL Have just been looking at my Portugal set and also agree on that one, the seals realy do look nice ;)

Three more sets added today and I have to say I do like the designs on all of these :ninja:

France

2E Stylised tree contained in a hexagon with the motto Liberté Egalité Fraternité

50c The sower, a theme carried over from the former franc

20c The sower, a theme carried over from the former franc

10c The sower, a theme carried over from the former franc

5c Portrait of Marianne, the symbol of the French Republic

2c Portrait of Marianne, the symbol of the French Republic

1c Portrait of Marianne, the symbol of the French Republic

Italy 2002

50c Equestrian Statue of Marcus Aurelius

20c Sculpture Unique Forms of Continuity in Space by Umberto Boccioni

10c The Birth of Venus by painter Sandro Botticelli

5c Colosseum in Rome

2c Mole Antonelliana, symbolising the city of Turin

1c Castel del Monte, a 13th century castle in Apulia

Slovinia 2007

50c Triglav, constellation of Cancer

20c pair of Lipizzaner horses

10c Jože Plečnik's idea for the national parliament, with the inscription "Katedrala svobode" (Cathedral of freedom)

5c Ivan Grohar's painting A Sower sowing stars

2c Prince's stone, where Carantanian dukes were installed

1c stork

Discussing "UK euros" is kind of moot - first, by and large the British are not interested. Second, the members of the currency union should IMO be committed to monetary and maybe even further economic integration which is tough anyway but would be extremely difficult to accomplish with the UK. Besides, I don't even want to think about monetary agreements with places such as Guernsey, Jersey or the ever so prolific Isle of Man. :ninja: Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican are tough enough. Now the Greek €1 coin (which features an Athenian tetradrachmon) I like, and Zeus with Europa (GR €2) is nice too. But Leonardo's Vitruvian Man (IT €1) is still my favorite piece. Another set that I like a lot is the three seals on the Portuguese coins.

Christian

Well lucky for me I don't have any real assets, cash or otherwise. So all this week I have been kicking back and laughing at the Brits. Pound is following the dollar down the crapper, yesterday the pound hit an all time low against the Euro. People in the UK are too busy looking at the short term and considering themselves part of an empire that is long gone. When I do start saving, I'll b trying to get a Eurozone savings account.

I think Jersey and Gurnsey at best would be looking at a joint issue. If so the Falklands perhaps getting an issue. Gibraltar? Dono.

Isle of Man has been kinda funny, back when we where set to have a referendum they insisted that they would issue their own notes and coins, the ECB said if they do it will be considered forgery and fraud. IoM even suggested that they would keep the "Manx" pound, though really they could not afford to. One thing is for sure, with the Euro their days of coin-whoreing would be over ;)

Don't really think we need to seriously discuss the options of the UK getting the euro - it won't happen, and that is perfectly fine with me. But as for the £ "going down", keep in mind that the central banks in the US and the UK have lowered their interest rates. The ECB is in a difficult situation: On one hand it would make sense to do so too, thus making it less attractive for investors to buy euros. But due to the increasing inflation rate (3.5 percent in March), lowering interest rates is not really an option here.

Quite a few businesses "here" that export to non-EU countries are of course suffering from the expensive euro. Fortunately about 75 percent of German exports, for example, go to other euro countries these days, and I think that exports to the US are in the one-digit range. So there is no reason to panic, but those euro based businesses that actually trade in other currencies a lot will have a harder time now.

It may now be more attractive for businesses/customers in the euro area to buy British products and services, or to invest in Britain. Basically the same has applied to the US for quite a while now. So a "cheap" dollar or pound also has its advantages ...

IoM even suggested that they would keep the "Manx" pound, though really they could not afford to. One thing is for sure, with the Euro their days of coin-whoreing would be over ;)

Depends. :ninja: The Crown Dependencies (Guernsey, Jersey, Man etc.) are not in the European Union, and they can use whatever currency they want. It makes sense for them, of course, to use what the UK uses. But let's assume that the Isle of Man wanted to introduce the euro - it would have to make some monetary agreement with the EU, and that would probably include some kind of limit. That is, the IoM could issue coins worth so and so many euro per year.

Now this would keep them from issuing a plethora of coins. But they could still have circulation coins and €2 commemorative pieces made; all those are legal tender in the entire currency union. Even better (or worse, hehe), the Isle of Man could also make collector coins (which in the euro area are legal tender in the issuing country only, and do not actually circulate), and I am sure they would make use of that option ...

By the way, the Isle of Man actually issued "euro coins" in 1996-1998: five "10 euro" pieces, one "15 euro" piece, and three "50 euro" pieces, all made by the Pobjoy Mint. As far as I know, they even used to be legal tender, worth the equivalent of 1 ECU per "Manx Euro". ;)

Christian

• 2 months later...

Latest addition to the collection after quite a wait it arrived today :ninja:

Belgium

2 euros

60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Curved lines around a rectangle marked with the figure 60

Map of EU

• 4 months later...

Just added two more to the collection :ninja:

France

2e

Presidency of the Council of the European Union

inscription 2008

PRÉSIDENCE FRANÇAISE UNION EUROPÉENNE RF

Map of the community & Value

Slovenia

3e

Presidency of the Council of the European Union

EU star in the form of a windmill. The star is said to represent Slovenia's energy, strength and active participation in the role of EU president. The inscription in the rim, 'Facta Loquuntur', meaning Work Speaks

A cluster of stars symbolizing the 27 EU Member States, Value, Date & country

Both are on Omni if you fancy a look lOL

Latest addition another from Slovinia :ninja:

Slovinia

2 euros

500th Birthday of Primož Trubar 1508–1586

Profile of Primož Trubar, protestant reformer, the founder and the first superintendent of the Protestant Church of the Slovene Lands, a consolidator of the Slovene language and the author of the first Slovene printed book.

Map of the community & Value

my favorite is 1 Euro Cent from spain

Hmm, why not the 5 cent coin then? Same design (Santiago de Compostela cathedral) but a little bigger than the 1 cent piece. :ninja:

Basically I prefer euro sets with eight different designs for the eight denominations. That means Italy, Greece and Slovenia. But I also like the Portuguese seals for example, evn though they have "only" three designs. When it comes to this year's commemorative €2 coins, my favorite has not been issued yet: the Italian "Human Rights" coin ...

Christian

DJ we all started somewere with our collections, you will be suprised just how fast it will grow :ninja: I have to agree with tabbs on the design front, I do prefer my coins to have differing designs. Also looking forwards to the new Italian 2e it looks very nice, just bought four 5e pattern coins will let you all know what they are like when they arrive ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest additions to my Euro collection including some Pattern pieces (These are not real coins LOL)

Andora

Pattern 5 Euros

12 Stars & 6 horizontal lines in the shape of the euro logo, Ski jumper.

Image of Charlamigne surrounded by 12 stars

Bulgaria

Pattern 5 Euros

12 Stars & 6 horizontal lines in the shape of the euro logo, Man on horseback over a map of Bulgaria

Boxing match

Czech Republic

Pattern 5 Euros

12 Stars & 6 horizontal lines in the shape of the euro logo, Man on horseback holding a sword, two birds.

Prague State Opera house

Slovakia

Pattern 5 Euros

12 Stars & 6 horizontal lines in the shape of the euro logo, Lady cutting wheat

National Theatre in Bratislava

Austria

5 Euros

Beethoven's euro hymn

Old Theater am Kärntnertor. A portrait of Beethoven, opening bars of his 9th symphony

Coat of arms of the 9 fedral provinces, value

Skiing

Snow crystal with a downhill skier

Netherlands

5 Euros

The Architecture

Portrait of Queen Beatrix constructed using the names of important architects from Dutch history.

Books on architecture rise up from the sides of the coin like buildings. Carefuly placed they combine to outline the Netherlands, while birds’ silhouettes suggest the capitals of all the provinces.

Portugal

5 Euros

European year of equality

People arm in arm with the european stars below

Portugese coat of arms, value, date

2.5 Euros

Fado

Musician

Mandolin with Portugese coat of arms, value, date

Summer Olympics Beijing

Globe, Portugese flag above olympic rings.

Globe, Portugese coat of arms, value, date

Unesco Historical center of Porto

Outline of Porto & bridge, Unesco symbol.

Outline of Porto, Portugese coat of arms, value, date

Netherlands__5e__Architecture__2008__a.JPG

Netherlands__5e__Architecture__2008__b.JPG

Latest selection of euros for my collection :ninja:

Austria

5 Euros

Water power

Alpine Dam, Hydroelectric, Drop of water with a fish enclosed in it.

EU Enlargment

A map of Europe with the Eurozone countries clearly distinguished and a small token flags for the ones that recently joined the union. The names of the ten new members are inscribed in the lower part of the coin, each in its own official language

Mozart

Portrait of Mozart with the Salzburg Cathedral in the background

EU Presidency

The Vienna Hofburg Imperial Palace in the "Josefsplatz" square. The equestrian statue of Joseph II in its center. The wing of the Hofburg can be seen to the right, which contains the Spanish Riding School and the Redoutensäle

Voting reform

100 Years Universal Male Suffrage

portraits of the Emperor Franz Joseph and Max Wladimir von Beck & the Reichsrat.

Germany

10 Euros

2006 Fifa World cup

Globe with football superimposed on it and the Brandenberg gate

German eagle, Value, Date

Finland

2 Euros

60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Artist Tapio Kettunen

A human figure seen through a heart-shaped hole in a stone wall. The text HUMAN RIGHTS is inscribed under the heart

Netherlands

5 Euros

400 years Australia friendship

six globes, each of which show a different perspective of the world. Lines symbolising the routes of the Dutch East India Company cross over each other. The mintmastersign (course-setting sails) is engraved at the spot where ‘t Duyfken made landfall.

Silhouette of Queen Beatrix on globe

You can view them on Omnicoin by clicking on the link in my sig ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Two more of the Austrian 5 euros added today, including the first 9 sided one of the series in its folder :ninja:

Austria

5 Euros

250th Anniversary of Vienna Zoo

Emperor's Pavilion at the Vienna Zoo, surrounded by a diversity of animals. The dates "1752–2002"

Mariazell Basilica

'Basilica of the Birth of the Virgin Mary' Facade of the basilica with its characteristic central gothic tower flanked by two baroque towers

956759.jpg

I have been collecting the Euro since it was released in 2002. I seek out a business strike set from each EU nation and then concentrate on the $2 commemoratives and silver commemoratives as I can find them or afford them. Needless to say the last couple of years getting the coins has grown a bit tougher. Costs are up, including shipping, and I just don't see many U.S. dealers willing to handle the silvers and, if they do, the premiums are through the roof. I have a complete set of German silver euro commemoratives (2002 through 2007) but I am now losing my connection due to a move to Australia. I keep plugging along with help of other European collectors and by using Ebay now and then but living in the middle of the U.S. does hamper such collecting.

For what it is worth I too like the Greek owl but have found, since I started collecting the Euro, there is much to learn about the history of Europe our schools fail to teach us over here. Been one huge learning experience for me so I have enjoyed it very much.

I have mainly been collecting the basic euros and the 2 euro commems I think I am missing one at the moment with the Italian (New) on the way :ninja: I have also just recieved the new Slovakian set this morning ;) So I decided to branch out a bit into the 5 euros, specialy the Austrian ones I like the design of them. I know what you mean about the cost and finding a good supplier as I get over 95% of mine on ebay as well. They certainly do open up the history of europe even for me, this is another aspect of world coins I love ;)

After a bit of a wait I finaly got these two :ninja:

Germany

10 Euros

Treaty of Rome

Map of europe surrounded by stars

German eagle, Value, Date

Netherlands

5 Euros

400th Anniversary of Michiel De Ruyter

Portrait of Queen Beatrix

Portrait of Lieutenant-Admiral Michiel De Ruyter

957635.jpg