CoinPeople.com

Where are the new designs.... HERE THEY ARE!!!!!!!!

Johnny 1989

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the comments on MSN Money are ridiculous, ranging from "dumbing down of the British Identity"

I'd have to agree with that, to be honest, the Portcullis and the British lion gone, Tudor Rose gone, Britannia....

There's been quite a bit of 'dumbing down' with regards to our mythology and the 'identity' perceived to come from that.

It seems like once, we were a nation of lions, Goddesses (Britannia) and mediaeval heraldry but now we are just a shield that has been done too often before...

Some of the comments on MSN Money are ridiculous, ranging from "dumbing down of the British Identity"

I'd have to agree with that, to be honest, the Portcullis and the British lion gone, Tudor Rose gone, Britannia....

There's been quite a bit of 'dumbing down' with regards to our mythology and the 'identity' perceived to come from that.

It seems like once, we were a nation of lions, Goddesses (Britannia) and mediaeval heraldry but now we are just a shield that has been done too often before...

To be fair though there is quite a bit of heritage with the shield, yes it has been done before but it goes back centuries.

We could have had alot worse, the one design I was fearing most was them being just random abstract shapes.

BTW does this mean the bridges set aren't getting a second airing?

Now that's what I call a 'wicked' reply :ninja:

They are not too bad, they are not too good either - that's the main problem I think...

On closer inspection of these images they are a bit hit & miss, liek the £1, 10p & 2p, the 50p & 5p aren't bad either but the 1p & 20p suffer a bit especially the 20p, the design kind of makes the border redundant.

I was also thinking the 1p and 20p look a bit curious - they aren't even full features, as opposed to the 10p and 2p, with good lions on them.

It looks a bit like the designs are snapshots of pieces of the British coat of arms as they would be seen examined through a loupe?

Perhaps they are asking us to inspect our (for me) British identity or maybe encourage us to start checking our change and taking up numismatics. :ninja:

Oh we may never know...

Have to admit after what I've already said I do like the lack of shiny fields on the coins as the older designs would pick up scratches after a short while in circulation and the patterns which make up the back of the shield add a matt (frosty?) effect ...

link for anyone who still cares ;)

New avatar, eh? :ninja: Well, two days later I still like these new pieces, by and large. Although the 20p is a little strange, with that depiction of butts and tails only, hehe. The others are fine even when viewing the single coins instead of the complete jigsaw puzzle.

In my opinion the 2 pence coin is too big compared to the other denominations (particularly the "recently" shrunk 5p and 10p coins). But that is nothing a designer can change ...

Christian

Another complaint that I often hear is the fiddly size of the 5p coin, it is a bit stupid. Why's the penny bigger than the 5p? :ninja:

We should bring back the Cartwheel twopence... :ninja:

Oh yeah Canadian coins, one that can't be bought for less than twice its face value... 470_87036.jpg

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2...its_market.html

Having seeign those larger photos I have to say I have changed my mind again. I do like them quite a bit now, the 10p, 2p, 5p, 50p, & £1 are great. The 1p is not too bad actually, you could argue that they could have placed it slightly higher up so that you got the lions head in, in full but hey ho.

The 20p still suffers however & as someone who was a big fan of the old 20p, and the only one I felt didn't need to be changed, I just think it's a shame that they didn't swap the places of the 20p & 1p round, especially seeing as the 1p is generally dislike and the 20p is liked.

Here is the view of somebody who strongly dislikes the new designs ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-...ave-805135.html

Christian

Well most people I've shown them to rather like them as they are different. Give it a year or so & your average punter wont even notice

Some of her points where valid, some of them where reasons to join the Euro. And she was too harsh on the designer. All he did was offer an idea, the final choice is down to the Royal Mint.

I agree the coins need numerals.

I thought there was something missing from them. Ah well I still like them & I think over time people will grow to like them. Will be interested to see if the Queen's Portrait is flipped on the 50p coin

I've cracked open the old Macromedia Fireworks package again and have had a go at modifying the Dent designs so that they now show the numeral of value on the "pence" coins instead of having wording only.

Comments/thoughts? Personally, I think these don't look too bad as designs with the number only on them - in some ways, they remind me of the wonderful Isle of Man coins which were issued in 1980 with all of the celtic whirls on them....

Anyway - see what you think.

Best regards

Hertfordian

uk_decimal_coin_design_prototypes_2008_3.jpg

I've cracked open the old Macromedia Fireworks package again and have had a go at modifying the Dent designs so that they now show the numeral of value on the "pence" coins instead of having wording only.

Comments/thoughts? Personally, I think these don't look too bad as designs with the number only on them - in some ways, they remind me of the wonderful Isle of Man coins which were issued in 1980 with all of the celtic whirls on them....

Anyway - see what you think.

Best regards

Hertfordian

Looks good, especially the 20p, plus it fills the blank gap

Archived