CoinPeople.com

saddle sycee

tlhbelle

Assuming if you have a genuine one, it's worth a fair bit. But how exactly can you be sure that what you have is indeed genuine instead of what it is made at the backyard of someone's houses possibly loaded with dangerous levels of heavy metal? :ninja: Pictures will definitely help if you can provide them to help us aid in what you have there.

Welcome to coinpeople by the way. ;)

I'm just not convinced - sycee are already ridiculously expensive and rare since 40 years ago when many of them were melted down during the mad culture revolution. You might want to check out this site here: http://www.charm.ru/library/syceelist.htm and mail the user.

Very interesting link.

Many years ago, I remember seeing a photo of a gold sycee offered for sale. I have no way of knowing whether it was genuine or not. It was described as a great rarity.

What I do not understand is why gold sycee exist (but apparently they do) because China was effectively on a silver standard, not a gold standard.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've owned good sycee and "bad" sycee. Yours definitely looks good. These are still affordable when they come up. Saddle sycee with average inscriptions sell about on average of USD$250-300 in auction but there's always those who ask for $500-800 which stay on the listings for a long while. About three times bullion value is the rule of thumb unless they have special chops or unusual markings. Cheers. Sam

Archived