CoinPeople.com

Couple Pays Taxes with 1,700 Sacagawea Coins

Nightwing

This was sent to me in an email website's weekly newsletter. I want to know where they can still get $25 rolls of Sacs. Hmmm, maybe I should ask at my bank next time. They seem to be well stocked with pres dollars and halves. :ninja:

"Instead of sending their property tax payment through the mail, the Tennessee couple paid the bill using 1,700 Sacagawea Golden Dollars. It wasn’t all bad. At least the clerks at the Knox County Trustee’s Office didn’t have to sort the coins. They were already in $25 coin rolls."

Article here: http://www.coinnews.net/2008/02/22/couple-...wea-coins-3942/

This was sent to me in an email website's weekly newsletter. I want to know where they can still get $25 rolls of Sacs. Hmmm, maybe I should ask at my bank next time. They seem to be well stocked with pres dollars and halves. :ninja:

"Instead of sending their property tax payment through the mail, the Tennessee couple paid the bill using 1,700 Sacagawea Golden Dollars. It wasn’t all bad. At least the clerks at the Knox County Trustee’s Office didn’t have to sort the coins. They were already in $25 coin rolls."

Article here: http://www.coinnews.net/2008/02/22/couple-...wea-coins-3942/

Being student in '90's I worked part time as taxi driver. You know... you cannot respect all speed limits, continue lines, etc. A speed ticket was at that time 30,000 lei, and after I paid several fines, a friend of mine, bank clerk, gave me a sealed bag of 1500 coins of 20 lei. 7.5 kilograms. Do you imagine the mug of policemens when I presented the bag as a payment for speed ticket... none of them accepted the coins, and so I escaped fines at least three times.

Being student in '90's I worked part time as taxi driver. You know... you cannot respect all speed limits, continue lines, etc. A speed ticket was at that time 30,000 lei, and after I paid several fines, a friend of mine, bank clerk, gave me a sealed bag of 1500 coins of 20 lei. 7.5 kilograms. Do you imagine the mug of policemens when I presented the bag as a payment for speed ticket... none of them accepted the coins, and so I escaped fines at least three times.

:ninja: I haven't been pulled over since I was a teenager, but I've got to remember this for the future.

That is the lousy thing about getting pulled over in countries in Europe, well the ones I have been in anyway, where if you get pulled over you are immediately presumed guilty. You do not get a ticket and a court date, you pay a fine right on the spot. Here in the USA you get pulled over then hope the cop won't show up at the court hearing so you can get the ticket dismissed. The country I have been in that I would least like to get pulled over in is in Russia, where you might just as well put your heads betwixt your knees when the lights come on behind you. I have seen people pulled over and bashed up, and not a whole lot less even in France.

In UA they seemingly set up roadblocks every 20 km or so on motorways, and you better be prepared to hand over 5 hryven everytime. I think it has to explain the construction of so many dachas on the Black Sea coast, because of all the "fines" collected, and "expediting fees" collected by judges etc.

Archived