CoinPeople.com

Trying to ID a coin

Thomas Canty

Someone recommended this site to me. I just found this coin next to my car when I parked. I thought it was a nickel until I picked it up and got a better look at it. What is this?

Head:

coin1.jpg

Tail:

coin2.jpg

Also, could a moderator please fix my display name? Apparently, the shift key stuck as I was registering, and I didn't notice. That should be "Canty" not "CAnty". I don't see any way to fix that myself...

Thanks.

Hmm.. I'd bet it's thailand. But others will be able to tell much more than me.

Welcome to CP, Tom. Take a look through our errors forum and you'll be addicted to checking your change in no time!

Welcome to CP, Tom. Take a look through our errors forum and you'll be addicted to checking your change in no time!

I've been a coin collector since the early 70's. It's about time I stumbled upon this forum, huh? :ninja:

Thailand Baht

I won't try to decipher the date but a recent coin. Worth a few cents.

Thanks! A couple friends and I kinda figured it might be Thai. I have another friend who lives in Thailand. I'll send her the photos and see if she can decipher the date for me.

Now, I'm just wondering how this ended up in the parking lot of a Southern California desert apartment complex.

If I am not mistaken to get the AD date from the BE date it is always -543. The BE stands for the Buddhist Era, introduced by Vajiravudh in 1912, which has an origin of 544 BC. In Thailand it was decided to count the years since 543 BC. This is the Thai solar calendar using the Thai Buddhist Era aligned to the western solar calendar. Thus the -543 to get the AD date for BE.

There is also CS dating - CS Stands for Chula Sakarat based on a lunar calendar. To get the AD date take the CS date and add 638.

Then there is RS dating. RS Stands for Rattanakosin Sakarat, not sure how this system comes about but it is used on some Thai coins. Take the RS date and add 1781 and you get the AD date...its all very confusing to me.

Then you have islamic which is AH (Anno Hegirae), Hindu which is SE (Saka Era) , Jewish AM (Anno Mundi), etc...etc..

Interesting note, the full name of King Rama IX is:

Phrabat Somdej Phra Paramindra Maha Bhumibol Adulyadej Mahitaladhibet Ramadhibodi Chakrinarubodindara Sayamindaradhiraj Boromanatbophit

:ninja:

Interesting note, the full name of King Rama IX is:

Phrabat Somdej Phra Paramindra Maha Bhumibol Adulyadej Mahitaladhibet Ramadhibodi Chakrinarubodindara Sayamindaradhiraj Boromanatbophit

;)

But his friends call him "Phrabat Somdej Phra Paramindra Maha Bhumibol Adulyadej Mahitaladhibet Ramadhibodi Chakrinarubodindara Sayamindaradhiraj" for short. :ninja:

I could be wrong but I dont think this coin design was minted in 2004, the dates for this coin was 1986-1997...I think.

This design has been minted since 1997. It was changed in 1996, to commemorate 50 years on the throne. The reverse features Phra Kaew Temple in Bangkok, which doesn't look like much on the coin but is well worth visiting if you are in town.

that's an awful long time to spend in the restroom :ninja:

The best thing about having semi-divine status is not having to account for what you do all day.

my bad, this coin was minted from 1986 to 2001 according to Krause

What I said earlier may have been confusing. This design was minted 1986-1995, changed in 1996 for the anniversary, then returned to the previous design for 1997 onward. Don's World Coin Gallery doesn't cover this adequately. I don't have the 2001 + Krause to know if they have been issued past 2006 or so.

As of Krause 2005, the last issue of this design was 2001. This design was also minted in 1996 unchanged. You are probably refering to Y#330 Baht BE2539 (1996) single year 50th anniversary issue that was also minted this year along with the standard Y#183.

As a person who has every year of baht coin issued from 1987-2006, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that acanthite is correct--it is BE2547 (2004). Even the 2006 issue has the same design that started in the 1980s.

Guess I'll have to look for a 1986 issue to complete the set....

Bruce

Krause must be wrong...it lists the last year for this as 2001....now if they minted this same design in 2006 I wouldnt know as my book is 2005...but the 2005 edition of Krause list mint dates for this coin as 1986 to 2001.

Krause must be wrong...it lists the last year for this as 2001....now if they minted this same design in 2006 I wouldnt know as my book is 2005...but the 2005 edition of Krause list mint dates for this coin as 1986 to 2001.

Even the 2008 edition only has 2001 listed. SCWC isn't wrong--it's just way behind with regard to this particular type. They are very reliant upon updates from collectors like us. Let them know. I'll try to remember to....

Archived