CoinPeople.com

Police Auctions Now Online

slowly but surely

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-cons...0,7411307.story

This looks pretty cool. It's an auction site run by former cops, on contract to various law enforcement agencies. They have a pretty huge coin and currency auction and they guarantee it's all fraud free (take that ebay...). The bidding seemed a little high on some things but it might be worth a look through.

Yep, some items real high! Don't buy bullion there.

1 ounce englehard silver bar $39 , a couple 1 ounce silver bars with the ten commandments on them one at $28 another at $46.

And this gem "Winner will receive a 40% silver proof Ike similar to the one pictured." And "Still sealed from the mint, brown envelope proof sets." . Most of the coins appear to be from dealers.

Some of the coins don't have to bad a price going though.

Now I have no clue to what this really is but it is different, a 373 gram silver bar. "Just needs polishing. "

looks to me like all the coins are just coins being sold by a dealer J & J Coins...not seized property.

Either way, the concept is a bit fishy....besides the fact they have a dealer there selling coins that doest seem to be seized property, I dont like the idea of the police profiting off of selling people belongings as I dont know what the people did to have the property taken from them. I may not agree that they should have lost their valuables for what they did...

looks to me like all the coins are just coins being sold by a dealer J & J Coins...not seized property.

Either way, the concept is a bit fishy....besides the fact they have a dealer there selling coins that doest seem to be seized property, I dont like the idea of the police profiting off of selling people belongings as I dont know what the people did to have the property taken from them. I may not agree that they should have lost their valuables for what they did...

I believe the items were seized from thieves.

"If you buy something from online auctioneer Property Room, you don't have to wonder if it was stolen.

That's because it probably was."

even the coins being sold by J & J coins?

http://www.jjcoins.com/uscoins.html

I found J&J Coins.. at the above email address.

Can't say as I am impressed with their site.

Will see how it develops.

Is it possible this was started by someone involved with the police auctions.

After all, how exactly did the fellas in the police auction get their merchandise?

Did they buy it at a penny on a dollar sort of scenario from the various law enforcement departments?

As always, lots of questions.

corky

I found J&J Coins.. at the above email address.

Can't say as I am impressed with their site.

Will see how it develops.

Is it possible this was started by someone involved with the police auctions.

After all, how exactly did the fellas in the police auction get their merchandise?

Did they buy it at a penny on a dollar sort of scenario from the various law enforcement departments?

As always, lots of questions.

corky

They probably consigned them to him. They can't just sell stuff for whatever price, they want to maximize profit. They probably hired him to price and sell the coins and he can skim a certain amount off the top.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I admit it, I did try the police auction and had an interesting experience... which is the first and last time I will access the page.

Unfortunately the items I wanted to bid on wound up being with the JJ coin shop.

When bidding, the site would only accept bids of $4.00 or more increments. Not my idea of bidding on items that you wind up paying more for than you think they are worth.

When the auction was over I contacted the site to see if I as suppose to get an invoice because I wanted to find out exactly how much I paid with the shipping. I received an answer back that the money would be taken from my account automatically... nothing about an invoice... and they did not tell me the actual total. After that, no more communication at all.

Maybe I did something wrong, but I really do expect to be treated a bit better than that as a paying customer.

That was enough for me... no more, no more, no more. That includes the auction site and the dealer.

corky

• 5 months later...

Archived