CoinPeople.com

James Monroe $1 coin error confirmed by Coin World

Nightwing

The United States Mint issued a statement just before noon on Feb. 4 indicating that it has no evidence that 2008-P Monroe dollar coins struck on quarter dollar planchets will reach circulation.

The statement said: "In mid-January, the United States Mint's coin-wrapping contractor alerted the agency when it found some irregular James Monroe Presidential $1 coins. The coins in question were immediately returned to the United States Mint. The United States Mint has performed an internal inquiry and presently has no evidence to indicate that any irregular James Monroe Presidential $1 coins have been sent to the nation's banks. The United States Mint expects to make an estimated 103 million James Monroe Presidential $1 Coins."

Coin World's Feb. 18 issue, which entered the U.S. mail as of 8 a.m. Feb. 4, reports reliable sources have indicated that a large quantity of the wrong-planchet errors – possibly as many as 70,000 to 140,000 – were struck and may be in distribution channels and could enter circulation on the release date of Feb. 14.

So be on the lookout!

The United States Mint issued a statement just before noon on Feb. 4 indicating that it has no evidence that 2008-P Monroe dollar coins struck on quarter dollar planchets will reach circulation.

The statement said: "In mid-January, the United States Mint's coin-wrapping contractor alerted the agency when it found some irregular James Monroe Presidential $1 coins. The coins in question were immediately returned to the United States Mint. The United States Mint has performed an internal inquiry and presently has no evidence to indicate that any irregular James Monroe Presidential $1 coins have been sent to the nation's banks. The United States Mint expects to make an estimated 103 million James Monroe Presidential $1 Coins."

Coin World's Feb. 18 issue, which entered the U.S. mail as of 8 a.m. Feb. 4, reports reliable sources have indicated that a large quantity of the wrong-planchet errors – possibly as many as 70,000 to 140,000 – were struck and may be in distribution channels and could enter circulation on the release date of Feb. 14.

So be on the lookout!

Oh boy, I hope I can get a hold of one of those!!!

Looks like the mint is creating errors again to drive up interest. I have to admit, it is a pretty cool error, much better then something lame like putting an extra curl in James Monroe's hair.

Bummer. :ninja:

Well, to clarify my guess: If a dollar design is being minted (on whatever planchet you choose), don't all of those coins go to the same gigantic bin? You wouldn't be mixing different denominations in one bin.

Therefore, when that bin is emptied into mint-sewn bags and eventually rolls, the counters should catch most of the different sized planchets. I suspect that opening a mint-sewn bag will give you better chances of finding one than opening a machine-made roll because the machine would catch the planchet size difference.

Well, to clarify my guess: If a dollar design is being minted (on whatever planchet you choose), don't all of those coins go to the same gigantic bin? You wouldn't be mixing different denominations in one bin.

Therefore, when that bin is emptied into mint-sewn bags and eventually rolls, the counters should catch most of the different sized planchets. I suspect that opening a mint-sewn bag will give you better chances of finding one than opening a machine-made roll because the machine would catch the planchet size difference.

Then again I guess I have been kind of absent minded the past couple of days as my bank gets Denver dollars anyway! :ninja:

My understanding is that these were shipped to the company that rolls coins for the Philly mint for distribution to banks in the East. The mint says they were caught and ALL returned to the mint. They then go on to admit that it is possable than a few got thru. I would say that these were mixed in with dollar coins in bags or bins that would be dumped into rolling machines so any that would be found would be in dollar rolls in the East or coins pocketed by employees of the company.

Archived