CoinPeople.com

Archaeologists Find Old Gold Coin Worth $45,000 in Latrine

akdrv

Archaeologists don’t expect to find gold in the middle of a downtown city, but that’s exactly what they did find.

Main Plaza is the historical center of downtown San Antonio. Texan construction crews have been working in the area for months in revitalization efforts for the Main Plaza Redevelopment Project. The area is the oldest part of San Antonio and designated a historical site.

To ensure history is preserved or properly uncovered, archaeologists are on hand at the site to look for and recover artifacts during the construction. A few days ago, they hit pay dirt in the form of an old gold coin.

The gold coin is dated 1855 and was actually discovered in what used to be a latrine trench. The coin has apparently been appraised and is valued at $45,000.

http://www.coinnews.net/2008/02/01/archaeo...tion-site-3899/

Perhaps the news people "inflated" the price a bit to make their story more exciting.

Better not send that coin to PCGS or NGC, or they will reject it as "improperly cleaned".

Or maybe "poopy"... :ninja:

Perhaps the news people "inflated" the price a bit to make their story more exciting.

Better not send that coin to PCGS or NGC, or they will reject it as "improperly cleaned".

Or maybe "poopy"... :ninja:

Nah, since it's now a famous coin they'll market grade it 3-4 points higher than a similar piece found elsewhere.

I can imagine the guy that lost it....

"Im not sticking my hand in there!"

Reminds me of an old joke....

A guy walks in on another guy (Polish, West Virginian, Newfie, take your pick) throwing his wallet and watch, and gold chain down the toilet. The first guy asks him, "What are you doing? Why are you throwing all that in the toilet?", to which the second guy replies, "You didn't think I was going to stick my hand in there for a quarter, did you?".

Wow, topher.

So you guys make West Virginia jokes in Canada?

Yeah, it seems kind of random, but I like where he's going, it's fresh. I'm going to start including obscure places in my jokes. This botswanian walks into a bar... man, that's good stuff, thanks topher.

Archived